Chapter 8
30 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I continued to browse the Internet with a heavy heart, gradually the picture became clearer.

All mutants considered themselves human, for no particular reason they will not break the windows of apartments in search of people. At least most of them will not do this, but prefer to sit at home and not lean out unless absolutely necessary.

There were, of course, exceptions. Some mutants were crazy while they were still humans, so they readily arm themselves and prowl in search of people, fortunately there are not too many of them.

Many of them are driven by a feeling of hunger, but they often prefer to break into stores, with rare exceptions, they can covet other people's property, hoping to find food, but my miserable apartment is unlikely to be the first target.

I cannot let anyone to see me, or open my mouth for any sounds. Until I’m heard and seen, I’m very likely to be safe.

The good news is that the monsters do not use weapons, at least after they find a human. However, judging by the information I found, this rule only works at a distance of about 30 meters, if the distance is greater, then there is a chance of grabbing a bullet.

At the very least, this increased the chances of people for survival, well-armed people.

With this thought, I went to online stores, hoping to order a weapon with delivery. Of course, if you have to confirm the order by phone, leave a signature or open the door, then this is comparable to suicide, so I will not be able to place an order in the weapons store. However, I was lucky enough to have a solution.

When I moved here and rented this apartment, I naturally intended to change the lock on the door. Besides, I was going to order something from household appliances, bedding and so on. Therefore, I was interested in the relatively new feature such as Amazon key.

I paid 250 bucks and they installed a special electronic lock that I could open using my phone. In addition, the delivery of purchases on the Amazon could be made even if I myself was not at home. The messenger simply opened the doors himself after verification and left the package inside, after which he left.

All the information was already filled in, the money was on the card, all that I had to do is to order something suitable.

Many Americans were intimidated by this prospect for various reasons, but I didn't care. I doubted that my apartment would be of interest to anyone, and I had nothing of value here. So I didn't mind giving a multi-billion dollar corporation access to my front door.

I looked through the options on the Amazon website, unfortunately I can't get firearms like that. Only pneumatics are available for purchase. The low noise from the pneumatics was tempting, but I definitely can't buy enough powerful pneumatics, it's more like children's toys, given the characteristics of the mutants.

I had to look for edged weapons. Unfortunately, only katanas were available, obviously they were the most popular product, other types of swords had to be ordered in advance, of course I could not afford myself to wait.

I chose the most expensive and efficient katana, at least judging by the reviews. In addition, I ordered a decent knife to replace the current one. I decided to take binoculars as well.

I would gladly order a lot of other things, for example, a combat body armor, but almost all products of this type were of different types of props.

Dzin! Dzin!

I heard the doorbell ring and my heart almost stopped. Still, someone decided to come to my apartment.

I did not keep in touch with any of the neighbors.

This is almost certainly my current crush, Jessica. Only she visited me sometimes. At times, I simply ignored her existence and did not open the doors. She even called me earlier, but of course I did not answer and even added her number to the black list.

For me, she was just a sex partner and nothing more. Of course, she herself thought differently, so I sometimes preferred to ignore her so that she would not drip on my brains once again.

I didn't give a damn if she became a monster or remained human, so I was not going to risk it and go to the door.

And the likelihood that a human would be able to get to my house and apartment in the current circumstances was practically zero. He would have been eaten ten times along the way.

Of course this bitch was quite persistent and continued to ring and even pound on doors, as if she were. It remained only to pray that she, as always, would get tired and dump to hell eventually.

After a good ten minutes, she finally dumped and I breathed a sigh of relief. It's good that I lived on the second floor, so this maniac will not climb through the windows.

Soon I finally got hungry, so I had to leave the shower room. In any case, I covered all the windows and cracks with curtains at night, so that no one would find me.

I ate a good meal and then packed myself some food in my bag in case I had to run away for some reason. However, I was in no hurry to leave the apartment in broad daylight.

Still, the number of people at night will be less. It would be too risky to go out now.

Outside, I heard a woman screaming somewhere in the distance, I even heard she screamed out something like "Help!" I could only silently sympathize with the next victim. I was afraid to even look out the window, let alone save someone.

As usual, the scream did not last long, now only echoes of excited growling were heard.

On the Internet, I found out that the president of the United States will be speaking in the evening.

Although I had already seen and read enough to understand that he was most likely a monster, subconsciously I still hoped that after seeing his performance, I would not see a monster, but a man ...

My hopes were dashed. When I read his speech in the comments, I got goosebumps once again. Faster metabolism, improved human bodies ... It's just awesome.

I decided to take a nap before nightfall.

It was not the vibration alarm that woke me up, but the noise and the earthquake. I woke up in confusion, outside there was a noise from all kinds of alarms. The window, covered with curtains, shone brightly, I could not resist and decided to look out the window really carefully.

The view was obscured by various buildings, so I could only see the tip of a yellow mushroom somewhere in the distance, although I could only assume it was a mushroom. Fortunately, the explosion happened far enough away that the shockwave did not break the windows. True, this was a weak consolation.

A nuclear war has begun?

2