Chapter 14
25 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nuclear war...

Looking at the billowing yellow mushroom outside the window, confusion seized me.

I loved my life the way it was. A roof over your head, not a dusty job, a native zombie box(TV).

I never aspired to something big and great, I was satisfied with what I had and in my own way cherished it. Perhaps when I turned thirty, I would finally deign to have a family, perhaps even a child.

Looking at this mushroom in the sky, I got some kind of unpleasant feeling inside.

All this mutant nonsense was kind of unreal. Although I tried to act and reflect according to the situation, I did it more mechanically. Surely part of me still believed that I would soon wake up and drink my favorite beer again.

Only now I had some persistent feeling that something was taken away from me, it was still difficult for me to describe this feeling, but if you describe it in one word, perhaps I would say that this something that was taken away from me was ... Choice?

I could not express my feelings even in mental form, my eyes were slightly moistened, and a lump came up to my throat. However, I immediately pulled myself together, closed the curtain and walked away from the window, sitting down on the bed.

Throwing unnecessary thoughts out of my head, I realized that this is quite a good chance for me to escape from here. Surely, almost everyone around is now watching this very nuclear explosion, but it is unlikely that it will last long.

Panic would rise, I had no idea if human mutants were afraid of radiation, but I was sure that they were purely psychologically afraid for sure. Soon people will begin to move en masse, trying to get away as far as possible from explosion.

Many will go to underground bunkers and bomb shelters.

Perhaps somewhere in other countries, only the cream of society could afford personal bomb shelters, but in the United States, the situation was slightly different.

After all, my country was considered almost the richest country in the world. Here even an American of average income could manage to arrange a personal bunker for himself and his family in one form or another. Surely many of them have already closed in their shelters and there is no way they are going to come out of there in the near future.

America did not have a global bomb shelter program for the population, which made the creation of personal bomb shelters even more urgent.

In addition, there were many different internal confrontations here. The American people were not as united as they might appear on the surface.

Fears about Bin Ladens on every corner did unite people to some extent, but this was far from enough. The Texans hated the Californians, the left hated the right, the liberals, the conservatives, and so on, the list is pretty big.

A fool thinks he is wise, but a wise man knows that he is foolish. Unfortunately, we did not have many wise men.

For example, I belonged to the party "I don't really care", which was also relatively popular. Unless I disliked the Republicans a little, but only because they opposed the introduction of euthanasia. Personally, I would not like to once suffer for years from terrible pain due to the consequences of some kind of disease, without the possibility of choosing an alternative.

The whole point is that the statement that an American who was not fed for three days will kill you for food, although it was an exaggeration and a joke, but still there was some truth in this expression.

Given the outbreak of nuclear war and the terrible appetite of all mutants, I would not be surprised if such a scenario does not take even three days. Then the mutants will begin to actively kill each other, it is quite possible that they will generally not give a shit about the remnants of humanity.

Or run now, although I had no idea where. Or stay here and let everyone else escape. What's scarier, mutants or radiation? I thought hard.

Radiation is a terrible force, but exposure to radiation is a long-term process, at least if it is not at its epicenter. It may take days, months and years for the consequences to appear. But mutants can blow my head off at any moment.

Anyway, do I really have a choice?

I definitely won't get far on my own two legs, if we assume that the explosion occurred somewhere in a hundred kilometers from here, then if I walk a couple of extra kilometers, it will not save me from radiation, but the risk of being eaten alive will increase very much.

I have no idea where the bomb shelters are and asking passers-by is a bad option, to put it mildly.

Even if I somehow manage to find a car with tinted windows and get the keys from it, which will not be so easy to do, not the fact that I can go far enough.

I am sure that right now all the surrounding Americans are collecting belongings and get into cars in order to dump from here as far as possible, chaos and confusion will begin on the roads. People will steal cars from each other and more.

My reflections were interrupted. I didn’t pay attention to the screams and growls outside, to the noise of alarms and the howl of sirens, but now I heard the sound of broken glass on my street.

Immediately after that, the window of my apartment was also smashed, it is obvious that the fragments from a nuclear explosion even got here.

"Damn it" I cursed to myself, afraid to open my mouth even in the current situation.

I hid behind the bed, my modest camping supplies were collected in the bathroom, so as soon as the shooting with these charred black balls stopped, I moved towards the bathroom, but before that I pulled out extra sheets and blankets from the closet.

Closing the doors behind me, I began to try to patch up all the cracks in the door. It is clear that these pathetic sheets will be shitty protection from radiation, but at least I can partially protect myself from radiation dust.

While I was trying to patch up all the cracks in panic, I suddenly noticed my right hand, it had a watch on it ... But I didn't wear any watch ...

I was already in limbo, so it seemed to me that I had mental disorders. But I still noticed that there were traces of blood on the watch. I started checking my body for signs of injury, but found nothing.

Whose blood is this?

1