Chapter Twenty Two: A Bold Plan
13 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Plan b?” asked Gary.  “What’s plan b?”

            “Dangerous,” said Alice gravely.  “But the only plan I have right now.”

            Alice turned to the vampire in the room, “Jacqueline, vampires sleep during the day, right?”

            “That’s right,” said Jacqueline from her glass cage.  “The best time for a human to escape a vampire is during the day when you can flee into the sun…if you can stay awake longer than the vampire, that is.”

            “I’ve already thought of that,” said Gary.  “There are vampires everywhere, and those elder vampires can force us to sleep with just a thought.  Besides, they have human thralls completely under their control that could follow us into the sun.”

            “I know,” said Alice.  “But humans completely under the control of a vampire will subconsciously fear the same things a vampire can.  The sun won’t hurt them, but it will disorient them more than someone with free will, so you still have a chance to escape.

            “As for staying awake, Jacqueline is an elder vampire.  She can wake you up easily.”

            “I could,” said the vampire reluctantly.  “But not without the other elders noticing.”

            Though this was a mental world, Alice instinctively took a deep breath, feeling the weight of what she was about to suggest.

            “That means someone would have to distract them, wouldn’t it?”

            Penny and Gary seemed confused, but Jacqueline’s eyes grew wide.

            “Oh,” said Jacqueline.  “That is bold.”

            “What?” asked Penny.  “What are you saying?”

            Alice turned to look at them, “I’m going to leave Jacqueline’s mindscape and distract the elder vampires while you get away.”

            Penny seemed conflicted, but Gary shook his head and said, “Alice, you can’t.  It’s too dangerous.”

            “He’s not wrong, Alice,” said Jacqueline.  “I managed to get you away from Victor before.  If you deliberately seek him out, I can’t guarantee with one hundred percent certainty that I’ll be able to protect you again.”

            “Yeah,” said Alice, nodding.  “I didn't think this would be easy, but we’re out of time.” She looked at Gary.  “What’s your name?”

            “Wil…” he almost said before he corrected himself.  “Gary.”

            Alice looked at him grimly, and even Gary looked away.

            “I know what happens when they get control of your mind,” said Alice.  “I was bitten before, and I can see what it’s doing to you.  Penny’s balancing on the edge of losing herself, and you’re not far behind.”

            Both Penny and Gary looked down, dejected.  That just made Alice more determined.

            “Look at it this way,” said Alice.  “We still can’t find the vampires’ hideout, and the Night Hunters can’t deal with them until that happens.  If you and Penny escape, we can retrace your steps and find them.  It might just be the thing we need to save this city.”

            Gary thought for a moment, then nodded reluctantly.  Penny, on the other hand, looked frightened.

            “What if it doesn’t work?” she asked.  “What if they catch us?  They’ll…they’ll…”

            “Penny,” said Alice, walking over and looking her in the eye.  “I know you’re scared, but I’m going to do everything I can to make sure you can escape.  I’ll distract the elders, and when Jacqueline wakes you up, find a knife and cut a cross into your skin to sever the vampire’s connection, then make your way out of that mansion.  Once you’re in the sunlight, you run as fast as you can.”

            Alice leaned in close, “As fast as you can, Penny.  I’m going to help you, but I need you to be brave for me.  Can you do that?”

            Penny, though she trembled with fear, nodded.

            Reluctantly, Gary asked, “So when do we do this?”

            “The best time would be at noon,” said Jacqueline.  “When the sun is at its highest and shadows at their shortest.”

            “That’s what I thought,” said Alice.  “And we can’t afford any interruptions, which means it’s time to let the Night Hunters know I’ve been talking to you.”

###

Director Farrow sat in his office going over maps marked with the areas the Night Hunters had searched.  Since the revelation of the displacement spell, the Night Hunters had to spread out to keep watch on every area surrounding Saint Vivia City.  The vampires were being careful, though.  The Night Hunters still hadn’t caught any vampires disappearing into thin air and thus had no lead on their location.

            There was some good news.  The weapons from the silver armory had finally arrived.  They’d been delivered by an armored van that drove behind the mansion above this facility and into a garage.  Of course, their ability to use those weapons depended entirely on having a target, which they still lacked.

            A moment after thinking this, Agent Swann entered the office, prompting Farrow to look up.  Agent Swann looked like she was delivering bad news.

            “Agent Swann?” he asked.  “Shouldn’t you be training recruits?”

            “Something came up,” said Swann.  “Recruit Hayes…” she hesitated.  “Says she’s been talking with Jacqueline Castellane.”

            Director farrow looked at Swann in disbelief, “What did you just say?”

###

Before long, Alice Hayes sat before Director Farrow in his office.  Agents Thompson, Walker, and Swann sat behind her as Captain Wagner stood to the back, arms crossed and frowning.  All eyes were on Alice, who tried not to show how nervous she was.  She knew this might be her last chance to do something about Penny and Gary, and she had to make it count.

            Director Farrow turned his computer screen to show a live video feed of a dark room.  There was barely any light, but Alice vaguely recognized the mirror room she’d seen Jacqueline in.  It occurred to Alice that Jacqueline had made that room bright in the mindscape for Alice’s benefit.  A vampire, in truth, would probably be uncomfortable in that much light, so the real Jacqueline was kept in darkness.

            Alice could barely see a figure hidden in that darkness.  In a way, it was reassuring to get confirmation that the vampire she’d been dreaming about was actually real, though it was frustrating not to see her clearly.

            “Jacqueline,” said Farrow.  “This is Alice Hayes, one of our new recruits.  She says she’s been talking with you in her dreams.  Is that true?”

            “It is,” said Jacqueline, her features still hidden in darkness.  “I find Alice pleasant company.  I trust she’s explained what we’ve been talking about?”

            “She has,” said Farrow, his eyes stern.  “It’s an interesting plan, no doubt, but it raises questions.  Alice, why didn’t you tell us you were communicating with a vampire?”

            “I was desperate,” said Alice.  “I’d just had people I loved ripped away from me, and I was willing to reach for any chance to save them.  I didn’t want to risk you cutting me off.  What I want to know is why you didn’t warn me vampires could connect to me through my cousin’s blood.”

            Farrow looked apologetic.  “We didn’t want to alarm you if it wasn’t necessary.  That kind of link is only a hundred percent effective on immediate family members.  It doesn’t always work with cousins.  It would have come up in training, of course, but by then, we figured we’d know if you were compromised, and we’d determined you weren’t when Terry Caldwell attacked you.  The vampires wouldn’t need to send him if you were.

            “Of course, Jacqueline has made an enemy of the other vampires, so just because they aren’t affecting your subconscious doesn’t mean she isn’t.  Did it not occur to you that this vampire had ill intentions?”

            “Like I said,” said Alice.  “I was desperate.  I had no other way to help Penny and Gary.  Besides, this Jacqueline’s been helping you, and she can’t use her powers in ways that don’t benefit the Night Hunters while she’s in that room, can she?”

            “Supposedly,” said Farrow.  “The truth is that Jacqueline is something of a unique case.  When the Night Hunters first formed, they would never have considered taking a vampire in, and even in later years, the few times they tried it, every vampire that claimed to want to help the Night Hunters ended up betraying them, even if they were useful for a little while.  Jacqueline is the first we’ve risked taking in that’s proven useful in the long run.

            “However, that doesn’t mean we trust her.  It’s true that skilled elder vampires can connect to the immediate family members of those whose blood they’ve drunk, but other vampires cannot override that connection unless they ingest that blood for themselves.  By that logic, Jacqueline shouldn’t be able to protect you this way, yet here we are.”

            Alice turned to the screen.

            “I’m sorry, Alice,” said Jacqueline.  “I can’t explain it.  All I can do is reassure you that
I cannot use my power in ways that don’t benefit the Night Hunters, as per the terms placed when I entered this chamber.”

            “That’s how it’s supposed to work,” said Farrow.  “But if you can subvert the blood restriction, how do we know you haven’t found a way around that room?”

            “I understand your concern, director,” said Alice.  “And I can’t say I fully trust Jacqueline either.  But Gary and Penny are running out of time, and quite frankly, so is this city.  We have to find those vampires, and this might be our only chance to do it.  If you have any better ideas, I’d love to hear them.”

            Director Farrow frowned, then looked around at the room.  Agents Walker, Thompson, and Swann shrugged, having no ideas.  Farrow looked to Captain Wagner, who seemed thoughtful.

            “Well, Richard,” said Farrow.  “You’re the one who advocated to give Jacqueline a chance.  What say you?”

            Captain Wagner looked thoughtful.  “Jacqueline has been useful to us so far.  Fundamentally, the risk is to Alice, and if she’s prepared to take the risk, then we should continue to give Jacqueline a chance.  Besides, Alice is right.  We’re out of options.”

            Director Farrow thought for a moment.

            “Should we consult the Night Hunter Council?” asked Thompson.

            “No,” said Farrow.  “They’ll take longer to decide than we will.”

            Farrow thought for a moment more, then said, “Jacqueline, you better not make me regret this.”  He took a deep breath.  “Let’s do it.”

###

Alice lay on a hospital bed with Doctor Brown over her.  Director Farrow and Captain Wagner stayed beside the bed, prepared to observe Alice as the other agents oversaw the recruit training.  Alice lay in a bed wearing a hospital gown, feeling more nervous by the minute.  It was close to noon and about time to begin.  Alice’s arms were hooked up to a few machines to monitor her vitals, just in case something went wrong while she was in the mindscape.

            Besides Director Farrow, they brought a viewscreen showing Jacqueline’s chamber.  Within that chamber, standing outside the glass cage, was a young, dark skinned woman Alice didn’t recognize.

            “That’s Jasmine Ross,” said Wagner.  “A dhampir.  She’ll be monitoring the mindscape through Jacqueline as an extra precaution.”

            “Can she help me in there?” asked Alice.

            “Sadly, no,” said Farrow.  “A dhampir’s mental aura is too close to a human’s.  Jacqueline can move through the psychic network unnoticed, but Jasmine’s presence would attract their attention and arouse their suspicions.  I’m afraid you’re on your own.”

            “Yeah, I figured,” said Alice.  “Not that I was expecting anything else.”  She took a deep breath.  “Put me under.”

            Farrow nodded to doctor brown, who brought an anesthesia mask and put it over Alice’s face.  Before too long, Alice felt everything go fuzzy until the whole world disappeared.

###

Alice, wearing her night hunter uniform, woke up in that seven sided mirror room once again, lit up so that Alice could see everything.  She looked over and saw Jacqueline, her face solemn.  The vampire waved her hand, and an image appeared on one of the mirror walls.

            “Before we begin,” said Jacqueline.  “I have two more lessons for you.  Don’t worry.  This will be quick.”

            Alice looked curiously and saw herself appear in the mirror wall like watching herself on television, fighting the imaginary knight Jacqueline had provided.  Oddly, though, her and the knight's movements seemed slow, like they were trying to move through molasses.

            “When you started,” said Jacqueline.  “You were slow, your thoughts unable to keep up.”

            The image shifted, and Alice saw the fight moving faster.

            “As we trained,” Jacqueline continued.  “I slowly ramped up how fast the knight was moving, and you, subconsciously, reacted.”

            The image shifted again, showing faster movements, and then it shifted again and again, each time getting faster.  After what seemed a minute, Alice saw herself fighting as fast as a vampire, and she looked on in surprise.  Could she really fight that fast?

            “You see, Alice, you know that you are slower than a vampire in the real world, but there’s no reason you have to be in this mental world.  Your muscles will not hold you back here.”

            Suddenly, the knight appeared next to Alice, who reacted immediately, summoning a sword and defending herself.  She sparred for a few moments, and for the first time, she seemed to be aware of how fast she was moving until she finally managed to slip past the knight’s defenses and slice it across the belly.

            The knight disappeared in a flash.

            “You are as fast as you can think, Alice,” said Jacqueline.  “Remember that.”

            Alice nodded and dismissed the sword, “And the second lesson?”

            “Pay attention,” said the vampire, closing her eyes.

            Suddenly, Alice became aware of something connected to that place, like thin, red threads leading away from Jacqueline.  In addition to that, Alice also sensed a place beneath them.  It was a dark, foreboding place filled with fear, hopelessness, and regret.  Alice backed away, though she could not really escape from it.

            “The red threads are links to other vampires,” said Jacqueline.  “When you’re distracting Victor, I recommend you don’t stay in the mind of a single vampire for too long.  Your presence will take a vampire by surprise at first, but they control their own mindscape.  Stay too long, and you will be at their mercy, so escape as soon as possible.

            “The foreboding place you feel beneath is…well…we vampires don’t have a name for it.  The best I can tell, it’s the last remaining remnants of the person we used to be before we became vampires.”

            “You still have something?” asked Alice hopefully.  “Does that mean…”

            Jacqueline shook her head. “No vampires I know of have ever remembered their old lives.  That place…” Jacqueline stopped, rubbing her chin.  “What should we call it?”

            “Your mental basement?” Alice offered.

            Jacqueline shrugged, “I suppose that works.  A vampire’s,” she paused, testing out the term, “Mental basement…is so heavily repressed I doubt most vampires are even aware of it anymore.  I bring it up because it is a place in a vampire’s mind where they don’t have complete control.  If you feel trapped, you can retreat to the basement.  I can’t guarantee such places will be particularly pleasant, but the vampire will have a more difficult time containing you there, which will give you better odds of escaping.”

            Alice nodded.

            “Make sure the vampire mind you jump to has a mental basement,” said Jacqueline.  “Some rare individuals were raised from birth to be vampire worshippers and then turned into vampires later.  In such cases, there’s no need to erase their previous identity, which means no basement.  I recommend you avoid such minds.”

            Alice nodded again.

            “I’m afraid that’s all I can tell you,” said Jacqueline.  “From this point on, I’ll be working from the shadows, making sure the vampires keep their attention on you and away from Penny and Gary.  Are you ready?”

            “Not even a little bit,” said Alice, taking a deep breath.  “Let’s do this.”

            Jacqueline waved her hand, and the entrance to this seven sided room unlocked, the sound shaking the room as the door opened, groaning on its hinges.  Outside, Alice saw nothing more than a black void, but she could sense a red thread that stood out compared to the others.

            “That thread will lead you to Victor,” said Jacqueline.

            Alice nodded, then looked at that black abyss beyond the door, that red thread moving like a serpent.  Before stepping through, Alice reached into her shirt and grasped her father’s cross, making sure the mental construct was still there.  As she pulled it out, the air around the silver cross warped, the holy image already causing ripples in Jacqueline’s mind.  Alice put it away quickly but was glad she could summon it.  She would need it out there.

            Finally, Alice took a deep breath, walked up to the door, and grabbed the thread.  The red line wrapped around Alice’s hand and suddenly yanked her into that inky darkness.

###

Alice found herself standing in front of that mansion, the moon shining above as the gardens lay on either side of her.  She wore her Night Hunter uniform rather than the dress she had appeared in before.  That felt right to Alice.  She wasn’t here to be swept away by a monster posing as a charming man.  She was here to subvert his plans.

            As Alice stood there, the doors to the mansion suddenly opened, pushed aside by Victor’s arms.  The elder vampire walked outside and saw Alice, a look of astonishment on his face.  Alice tried to put on a brave, defiant face, but even in this mental world, she could feel her entire body shaking.  After a moment, Victor grinned.

            “Why Alice,” he said.  “What a pleasant surprise.”

            Alice ran.

1