Chapter Forty One: Where Everything Stands
6 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A few days later.

Since the night of the battle, more and more supernatural creatures had been sighted approaching Saint Vivia City.  Furthermore, Hunters still working in other parts of the world began noticing a consistent migration pattern with the monsters they were tracking.  It was now quite certain that the seal was drawing these creatures there.

            The Night Hunter council ultimately saw the wisdom in Farrow’s words and decided that the best way to proceed would be to work with the Saint Vivia Police Department, who could get information to people explaining how to protect themselves.  As the police began this process, enough civilians began asking questions about the soldiers they’d seen all over the place.  The police were instructed to say that the soldiers were U.S. Military, some of whom were still surrounding the city, but not everyone was buying it.  Some had put together that there must be some special fighting force here to deal with all this, and people started whispering.

            The police were also instructed to warn people that if they tried to discuss the supernatural events with anyone outside the city, the U.S. Government would deny all of it.  This didn’t stop some people from trying.  A lot of stories were shared online about paranormal activity in the city, and the rest of the world responded with skepticism.  As the days rolled on, news headlines began to dominate the news.

            City suffers mass delusion.

            One sign that something strange was going on with Saint Vivia city was the increased levels of cremation over burial.  So many people had died of vampire sickness, and burning the body was the easiest way to prevent people from coming back as a revenant.  There were still a few revenants roaming town, and the idea of a loved one coming back undead was downright terrifying for people.  The police did try to instruct people on how to make a dead body safe for burial later, but most didn’t want to take the chance by this point.

            Director Farrow, meanwhile, had soldiers all over the Vampire’s Mansion, keeping any form of explosives away from the seal chamber.  Even pistols were kept out of that room.  They brought in Professor Halloway to study the seal, but he had no idea where to start.  All his experience with magic was theoretical, and figuring out how to use it for real was going to take time.  As he worked at a table with various artifacts and books, Farrow and the Night Hunters with him had an ominous feeling in that red light from the seal.

            Meanwhile, in the Night Hunter medical wing, Jamar was steadily recovering from his wounds.  While a missing arm would normally mean an early retirement, the recovery of the magic seal meant the possibility of him returning to active duty.  Night Hunters in ancient days used an early form of prosthetics, basically wooden arms enchanted to move.

            Jamar told this to Alice, Marcia, and Robert with a big smile on his face.

            “I’ll sure I’ll be back out there in no time,” said Jamar.

            “I’m just glad you’re okay,” said Alice, whose hand had almost grown back completely.  Her fingers were still a little short, but it wouldn’t’ be long before they were at their full size.  It was so strange to think that this wasn’t the same hand she had a few days ago but she was at least grateful for this ability.  Looking at Jamar’s missing arm, she hoped he was as okay as he seemed.

            “I’m surprised you want to be back out there so soon,” said Robert.  “As for me, I can’t wait to visit my family.  It will be nice to see them after all this.”

            And speaking of family, Alice’s thoughts turned to her mother, still unconscious in another room of the Night Hunter facility.  When she focused, Alice could sense a blue thread from her, but it was faint.  She hoped Mom woke up soon.

            “Yeah,” said Marcia.  “I’m looking forward to some leave soon too.  I haven’t seen my sisters in ages.  What about you Jamar?”

            “Big family,” said Jamar.  “Too many to count.  Honestly?  I’m a little worried they won’t take my missing arm very well.  In fact, I’m sure some of them won’t.”

            The others nodded.

            “Are you sure you’re okay?” asked Marcia.

            “Everyone keeps asking that,” said Jamar.  “Are you sure you’re okay?  Come on.  I killed fifty four vampires that night.  I’d say that’s a fair trade for an arm.”

            “Fifty four exactly?” asked Alice.  “You mean you actually counted?”

            “I can believe it,” said Robert.

            Marcia laughed, prompting the others to laugh as well.

###

Gordon Brand brought Alice and Arthur Hayes down to the bottom level of the Night Hunter facility as he carried a file folder under his arm.  When Arthur had asked what this was about, the elder dhampir said there was one more person they needed to meet before he told them.  As they stepped out of the elevator, they found an area filled with seven sided rooms, the paths between them going at odd angles.  Somewhere down here, Alice knew Jacqueline Castellane was imprisoned, but Alice didn’t ask where she was.  Not yet anyway.

            Finally, Gordon brought them to the entrance of one room and pressed a keypad to open it.  Once the door slid open the three of them stepped inside to find Jaiden Blau inside a glass cage.  As before, When Alice had been in the mindscape, all surfaces were mirrors making a kaleidoscope of images around them.  Three of them had reflections, while Jaiden didn’t, a sobering reminder of what poor Jaiden had become.  Currently, Jaiden sat in a chair reading, a table to his left and a simple bed to his right.  He’d kept up his glamour to maintain some semblance of humanity, and Alice couldn’t help but be disturbed by how clean and flawless he looked, even though she knew it wasn’t his fault.  As they entered the room, Jaiden looked up in surprise.

            “Gordon?” asked Jaiden, putting the book down.  “What are you…” he then saw Arthur, whom he knew as agent Phoenix.  Arthur, for his part, looked away, his face a mask of stoicism.

            “I’ve brought the two of you here,” said Gordon, “to give all three of you a bit of hope.”

            “Hope?” asked Alice.

            Gordon opened the cage’s glass door and brought the other two inside before placing the file folder on the table.  Opening the folder revealed nine documents, each with a picture, six of whom were men and three of whom were women.  Most showed hand painted portraits depicting people as far back as the medieval period.  One was a black and white photo, and a single color photo showed Arthur Hayes.  The others looked over the files, and it was Arthur who noticed a certain detail first.

            “These are all crucivires,” he said.

            “Really?” asked Alice, looking over the files and noticing another detail.  “Where they all called Agent Phoenix?”

            “A long standing tradition,” said Gordon.  “Most crucivires suffer memory loss, not remembering their own names.  Given the nature of a crucivire, phoenix seemed to be a fitting name to use.  You would have been called Agent Phoenix, Alice, but we’ve never had two crucivires before.”

            “I think one Agent Phoenix is enough for this world,” said Alice.  “I’m fine with Agent Hayes.”

            Arthur grinned.

            “That’s all fine,” said Jaiden.  “But I doubt that’s why you’re showing this to us.”

            “Indeed,” said Gordon.  “I want you to note.  Seven of these are crucivires as you know them, carving a cross into their skin at the critical moment.  Two of these, however, became full vampires before transforming into crucivires.”

            The other three’s eyes widened in shock.

            “Are you sure?” asked Jaiden.

            “I am,” Gordon replied.  “This one,” he pointed to the portrait of a blond man with a mustache, “Was a dhampir turned vampire, like you Jaiden.  And the other,” he pointed to brown haired man with a thick beard, “Was a vampire for years before becoming crucivire.”

            “Why haven’t I heard of this?” asked Arthur.

            “It’s not exactly a secret,” said Gordon.  “It’s just that, when asked, both individuals wouldn’t tell us how they transformed.  All they said was that if you know how it works, then it won’t work.”

            “What does that mean?” asked Alice.

            “Who knows?” said Gordon. “The explanation is so cryptic that there’s almost no point in bringing it up casually.” He hesitated, “Honestly, I wasn’t certain if I should bring it up at all.  It’s only happened twice, and never in my lifetime, so it’s a slim hope at best.  I was afraid of giving you false hope, but I ultimately decided that a slim hope is better than nothing.  So, there you go.  There is a sliver of a chance that the curse can be broken.  I just wanted you to know that.”

            Jaiden looked down at the two files on the table and was filled with an overwhelming sense of gratitude.  He resisted the urge to cry as he wiped his eyes.

            “Thank you,” said Jaiden.

            Alice, meanwhile, looked at the files and mouthed, “Gary.”

            She had attempted over the past few days to contact him telepathically.  They were partners for years, so it wasn’t out of the question that they could have formed a connection strong enough for such a link.  Alice couldn’t detect him, however.  Not even the slightest hint of a thread came up when she thought about him.

            Arthur placed a hand on her shoulder, “We’ll find him, Alice, and we’ll figure out how to save you.” He looked at Jaiden.  “Both of you.  Your body may be that of a vampire, but your mind is still human, and Gary Fraise’s human mind is not lost.  If anyone can reverse this curse, it’s you and Gary.”

            Jaiden and Alice both nodded gratefully.

###

Alice stood before the entrance of another seven sided room.  Director Farrow had approved this meeting, though he had his reservations.  Captain Wagner stood to his side with a holy water mist machine on his back, just in case.  This one would hurt a vampire but not Alice, and so long as he aimed it at the door, the elder vampire would have no room to escape it.  Farrow had ordered this just as a precaution, and Captain Wagner kept a stoic expression as he waited for Alice.

            “Are you sure about this?” asked Wagner.

At the same time, Alice heard Arthur contact her telepathically.

            “You sure about this?” he asked.

            “I am,” said Alice.  “I’ve been through too much with this woman to just leave it alone.”

            Wagner nodded, accepting her decision.  Arthur still had reservations, which Alice could sense clearly through their link.

            Alice contacted her brother telepathically.  “Do…do you think there’s even the slightest chance she’s turned over a new leaf for real?” asked Alice.

            “Don’t bet on it,” Arthur sent back.  “I know exactly what she’s doing.  She’s immortal as long as she gets blood to drink.  If she works with us for long enough then you, I, and every current Night Hunter will die of old age or in the line of duty. 

            “When that happens, there will be a generation of Night Hunters who know her only as an asset, and not as the vampire who killed so many people.  Those Night Hunters will let their guard down, and that’s when she’ll make her move, using hunters to wipe out the other elders before taking control of all vampires herself.  All she has to do is bide her time.  Mark my words, she cannot be trusted.”

            Alice understood where he was coming from.

            “I still need to face her,” said Alice.

            Arthur thought about it, “Very well.  Just…be careful.”

            Alice nodded, even though her brother was only there in spirit, then she turned to Wagner.

            “I’m ready.”

            Wagner stepped up and input the entry key.  A moment later, the door slid open and Alice stepped inside.  Jacqueline Castellane’s mirror prison was darker than Alice remembered from the mindscape.  Jaiden Blau’s room hadn’t been this dark, and it occurred to Alice that Jacqueline must have made the lights in the mindscape brighter for Alice’s benefit.

            “I’m sorry about the lights,” Alice heard from the center of the room.  “I’ve spent so long in darkness that I can no longer tolerate the light if I tried.”

            Alice felt a drop of sympathy for just a moment, but she dismissed it.  Looking through the darkness, Alice’s enhanced eyesight allowed her to make out Jacqueline Castellane in the center of the room, still locked in that glass cage.  The elder vampire looked down, not meeting Alice in the eye.

            “So,” said Alice.  “Here we are, meeting in person at last.  I’d long though about what I’d do to the person who kidnapped my little brother.  I never thought it would be like this.”

            “Alice,” said Jacqueline.  “I know what I did was wrong.  I know that everything I did after becoming a vampire was pure evil, and that I cannot undo the consequences of my crimes.  I know I hurt you and your brother,” Jacqueline looked up.  “But I’ve changed.  I’m not the same person who kidnapped Arthur, and I want nothing more than to atone for my sins.”

            In the back of her mind, Alice heard her brother’s words.  All she has to do is bide her time.

            Alice sighed.

            “Victor Sorenson was here in this city because of the seal,” said Alice.  “Am I to believe your presence in Saint Vivia was a coincidence?”

            “I didn’t know about the seal,” said Jacqueline.  “I swear that I didn’t, or I would have told the Night Hunters about it years ago.  But no, it wasn’t coincidence.  I knew that Victor had found something in the forest outside Saint Vivia, I just didn’t know what that was.  We were always rivals, he and I, and I came to this city to suss out what he was up to, though I didn’t have any luck back then.”

            It chilled Alice to think that Victor was hanging around Saint Vivia the whole time.  Still, Alice made sure to keep her focus on the vampire in front of her.

            “I need to know,” said Alice.  “You lined up Arthur’s friend and his family up as if to display them, the bite marks clearly visible,” Alice opened her eyes.  “Keeping the supernatural secret from ordinary people benefits vampires as much as it does the Night Hunter Council, so why would you do that?”

            Jacqueline’s lip quivered as she looked down, “It…it’s as you say.  Such secrecy benefits us.  It makes the other elder vampires angry when one of us leaves a clear sign of our existence.  I suppose that, occasionally, I would leave such signs on purpose as my own little rebellion against them.”

            Alice grimaced.

            “I know,” said Jacqueline, on the verge of sobbing.  “I know how horrible that is.  I mean it, Alice.  I regret everything I’ve done to hurt people.” She looked up.  “Please believe me.”

            Judging by the look on her face, Alice could easily believe it.  In that moment Jacqueline looked genuine, on the verge of crying even.  And yet, those same words reverberated through Alice’s mind. 

All she had to do is bide her time.

If Arthur was right, then Jacqueline was putting on an incredible performance.  Thinking it over, Alice made a decision.

            “I want to hear it from you,” said Alice.  “The real you.”

            Jacqueline’s expression turned to horror, but only for a moment.  It slowly shifted to resignation as she looked down.  Soon Jacqueline’s glamour fell from her body, revealing the dark grey skin, skeletal face, tattered dress, and wispy hair that made her true vampiric form.  Even the billowing sleeves of her dress uncurled to reveal the wings on Jacqueline’s back.  Jacqueline then looked up, and Alice saw, for the first time, that her true eyes were milky white.  The elder vampire was blind, her eyesight taken by the light of a crucivire’s transformation all those years ago.

            “Alice,” said Jacqueline.  “I swear to you that I’ve changed and wish for nothing more than to atone for my many sins.”

            Even with her vampiric face she looked genuine.

            All she has to do is bide her time.

            Alice turned away, “I…I need time to think.”

            Jacqueline bowed her head, “I understand.”

            Alice, with a heavy, confused look on her face, walked out of the room.  Eventually the outer door slid shut, and Jacqueline was left on her own, her glamour not reappearing.  As she sat there by herself, she suddenly felt a presence, a white thread she hadn’t connected to in a very long time.

            “Is that you, Arthur?” asked Jacqueline.

            Arthur Hayes’ voice rang through in her mind angrily, “That name is reserved for my family.  You can call me Phoenix.”

            Jacqueline kept her head bowed, “As you wish.”

            “I suppose,” said Phoenix.  “That using my real name is progress, of a kind.”

            Jacqueline didn’t dare mention the name she’d chosen for him.

            “Phoenix,” said Jacqueline.  “I know what I did to you was wrong…”

            “No don’t!” Phoenix snapped.  “Don’t!  Don’t!”

            Jacqueline fell silent.

            “I’m just here to warn you,” said Phoenix, his thoughts filled with venom.  “Stay…away…from my sister.”

            It took Jacqueline a moment to answer.

            “I saved your sister,” the elder vampire finally said.  “Does that count for nothing?”

            This time it was Phoenix who took time to answer.

            “I suppose,” said Phoenix.  “Fine, then.  When I finally get my hands on you, I’ll think about killing you quickly.”

            Agent Phoenix retreated from Jacqueline’s mind, and the elder vampire, still without her glamour, hugged herself and shivered, her wings wrapping around her vampiric body like a blanket.

            “We really did mess with the wrong family,” she said.  “Didn’t we, Victor?”

###

The following evening.

Now that Alice was a crucivire, she was considered a valuable asset, which granted certain privileges.  With all the supernatural creatures migrating towards Saint Vivia, the Night Hunter Council had decided that the crucivires and dhampirs were needed here, so Alice and the other supernatural fighters had official quarters now.  She didn’t mind, however.  She wasn’t being deliberately isolated from the others and had a lot to process these days.  She could see the others whenever she wanted.

            Her new room was simple, but she had a bigger bed, cabinets and shelves for belongings, and even her own private bathroom.  She could see herself living here for the foreseeable future.  It would certainly be a cozy place to read when she was off duty.  It was right when Alice was lying in bed reading, wearing casual jeans and a simple blouse, when a blue thread she’d been paying attention to suddenly came into focus.  She raised her head, her eyes wide as she contacted her brother.

            “Arthur,” she said.

            “Yeah, I can see it,” he replied telepathically.  “Mom’s awake.”

            And just like that Alice found herself running out the door and through the Night Hunter facility.  She didn’t bother with the elevator and went straight for the stairs, going as fast as she could.  With her enhanced speed it didn’t take long for her to reach the medical wing, dodging around surprised hunters patrolling the halls.  She then burst into the room where her mother was being kept, startling the doctors and nurses there.

            Alice’s mother, still lying in a hospital bed, had been arguing with Doctor Brown, demanding to know where her daughter was when Alice broke in.  The moment she saw Alice, Sara Hayes broke into tears.

            “Alice!” she said, raising her arms out.

            Alice ran over and gave her mother a fierce hug.  The two of them began openly crying, happy to see each other.  They stayed that way for a few moments as Doctor Brown moved to give them some space.

            Finally, Alice’s mother pulled away, “What about the others.  Are they…”

            Alice took a deep breath, “Uncle Paul is fine.  Penny…well, she had a rough time, but she was rescued.  I’m afraid Aunt Betty didn’t make it.”

            Sara Hayes sniffled, wiping her eyes, “I see.” Then began crying again.

            Sara Hayes began crying, and Alice hugged her once more, letting the woman take comfort in her daughter’s presence.  After a few minutes of this, Alice sensed a presence outside and very gently pulled away.

            “Mom,” said Alice.  “I know this might seem sudden, but there’s someone I want you to meet.”

            “What?” asked her mother.

            And Alice looked towards the door to watch Arthur Hayes walk in.  He looked just a little nervous, his normally stoic mask slipping.  Alice waved him over and he approached slowly, trying to avoid looking his mother in the eye.  Mom, meanwhile, looked at him curiously, noting the cross tattoos all over his face.

            “Crosses?” asked Sara Hayes.  “For the vampires?  That’s certainly clever.”

            The closer Arthur got the more Sara’s face went from curiosity to recognition.  Something about this young man was familiar, but it wasn’t until he was standing right next to her, finally look her straight in the eye, that she knew who he reminded her off.  When it finally clicked, she gasped, clasping her hand over her mouth.

            “Ar…Arthur?”

            “Yes,” said Arthur sheepishly.  “It’s me, mom.”

            Once again, Sara Hayes began sobbing as she embraced one of her children.  She cried the tears of one overwhelmed by a miracle.  Arthur, for the first time in years, hugged his mother.  A moment later Alice joined them, the Hayes family finally reunited at last.  They stayed that way, embracing joyfully, for a long time.

1