Chapter 46 – Hiccup!
98 4 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Scrambling backwards, he was relieved to find both a pair of arrows as well as icicles hit near the monster’s right eye.

Lightness returned to his limbs as the buff was renewed, allowing him to successfully get back to his feet and lure the monster away from his companions.

Spiderlily, who was much more agile than Ice, began to move to position herself better as well. Contrary to magic, she was forced to shoot in a straight line after all. Like a dancer, she avoided the poisonous ivy on the ground, her arrows flying endlessly.

When the Rootwatcher’s health reached the last third, the whole area started vibrating under its angry scream. The vines of ivy that had been wrapped around the roots over their heads fell suddenly, hanging down everywhere.

Ice felt the leaves tickle his neck gently for half a second, before the prickling pain settled in. He bit his teeth together, wrapping his fingers tightly around his staff to finish his spell before he pulled out a bottle of antidote. Little Droplet shot him a glance but he shook his head, correcting his position to keep away from the new danger.

The fight could not have been too dangerous, as their warrior on the field was screaming curses like water flowing down a river. Endless and without pause.

With his style becoming more reckless, Bloodless Sunset began to ignore the ivy both hanging down and on the Rootwatcher’s body. He dashed in, stabbing his knife and claws into the weak gaps between the scales and around the neck and belly.

At some point, the Rootwatcher retreated. It swayed, one leg breaking in first before it collapsed.

Everyone froze where they stood, waiting for several seconds to make sure that the fight was over. Then the beastman ran closer, using his knife to hack away at the horns while he could. Spiderlily expertly found the sparkle in the net of ivy on its back and managed to pull out a simple but sturdy key.

“Owowow-” Bloody was whining as he pushed everyone to leave the area, ensuring that even if the beast woke up soon, it wouldn’t follow them. Only then did he collapse against the wall, his ears pressed tight to his head. Where the ivy had touched an open wound on its arm, the blood was turning dark.

“I’m on it”, Little Droplet announced, beginning his spell that was focused on the other’s arm specifically.

Ice knelt down next to Bloodless Sunset, checking for more injuries. “Is it very bad?”

“Eh, my synchro isn’t full power, so it’s alright.” Bloody forced a toothy smile, but his ears stayed down. “The mix between bleeding and poisoned is kind of not very comfortable, though. It feels like there’s ants biting their way deeper into my shoulder.”

Bloody wasn’t suitable for playing tank. Even his clothes were a clear sign of that. What kind of tank would run around sleeveless?

“It must be painful”, the Ice Emperor breathed out. He raised a hand, using his fingers to stroke over the flattened ears and soft hair. An edge of the left ear had torn, only healing slowly with Little Droplet’s spell.

Bloody’s eyes turned a tiny bit wider. He stared at Ice, whose eyebrows were lowered in worry. His ear twitched under the gentle touch.

Hiccup.

The beastman’s body twitched.

“...”

Hiccup. Hiccup.

Bloody used his other arm to hold his mouth closed, embarrassed at the surprisingly loud sound. Little Droplet snorted at the sight of Bloody twitching again, accompanied by a soundeffect.

Hiccup.

“Hold your breath”, Little Droplet laughed. “Close your nose, hold your breath, and swallow all the air inside of your mouth. Then wait for as long as you can.”

“Okay-up.”

One ear flat, the other raised, the beastman concentrated on getting rid off his hiccups. Spiderlily didn’t join the mess, instead fixating the ivory horns on her back, while Ice watched the injuries heal.

“Is it gone?”, Bloody asked, still suspicious. He waited, then exhaled in relief when no more hiccups came.

He stood up, patting off his dusty clothes.

“Your ear is still torn”, Ice lamented. Because a piece was missing, it healed much slower than a cut. He didn’t have ears and didn’t know how it would feel, but it couldn’t possibly be pleasant. Lips pursed, he touched the ragged edge.

Bloody pulled his tail to the front, tugging out some stones and rubble. “I’m fi-iccup.

“...”

“Oh, fu-ccup this.”

The hiccups persisted for another few minutes before they settled.

The merman was unexpectedly waiting for them. They had expected to use scrolls to return, but the young beastman was curiously peeking over the edge.

“I heard it scream”, he said, leaning on the edge with his bare arms. “I guessed you must have survived. How was it? Is it big? I’ve never seen the Rootwatcher directly before.”

“You know about it?”

“Do! They sometimes try to drag one of us off, but they’re too lazy for a serious hunt so you’re safe as long as you can escape. It’s not gonna go after you.” The tail splashed, sending drops flying everywhere. “You’re gonna go back? I’ll take you.”

“Thanks!”

A few minutes later, Bloody sat to dry his fur out in the sun. No matter what he did, his hair was simply too much like fur - he tended to smell like a wet dog. That was a detail he didn’t need to have in Haven.

Blackstone offered him a towel that he gratefully took. She listened to his tale of what had gone down. The little dwarf clapped her hands together. “That’s cool! I hope there’ll be a storyline about that tree sometime. Wouldn’t corruption and all that be a classic plot? I’d love it!”

“I would not like to see this place corrupted”, Spiderlily joined the conversation, placing her head into the back of her neck. Time was passing, and the sunset was beginning to dye the forest in a soft hue. She shook her head to herself. “I will go and see if we can talk to the administrator, but we might have to postpone it to tomorrow.”

“I’ll come along”, Ice said quickly.

The other three prepared dinner while the two elves made their way over to the town hall. They didn’t let people inside anymore, but when they explained the matter of the key, they were brought over to the storage.

Soon, someone had found the correct register.

My cat hates me touching her ears.

Little Theater

Bloody: "Stupid fucking hiccups!!!"
Blackstone: "They're kinda cute, don't you think, Ice?"
Ice: "......Well, yes....."
Bloody: "Man I love my hiccups."
Dead Rabbit: "Where's your shame?"
Bloody: "Where's my boyfriend?! I've got no time for shame!"

10