Chapter 68 – The protagonist’s storyline
112 3 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ithiel was a researcher through and through.

Due to his identity as a self-aware NPC, Ice insisted on keeping him around, which also meant him accompanying Ice on his visit to the castle on the mountain.

Ithiel was staring at the Ice Emperor with wide, glimmering eyes, a notebook on his lap. Somewhere else, an incorporeal being was watching him closely, observing all his actions and behaviour - although the little NPC would never realize.

Bloody leaned on the table, dazily staring at the beautiful image of having the Ice Emperor - who looked like Ice’s previous character - and the new wolfman character sit side by side. The assimilation of memories had left the Ice Emperor calmer and more relaxed, making him appear like an older brother to Ice.

“I agree that it’s a good idea”, the Ice Emperor mused, eyes glancing over to Ithiel. “His development might be the base for more NPCs evolving.”

“That’s our hope”, Ice agreed, face relaxed. He always felt at ease in the castle, even though the demon butler didn’t welcome them all that much even now.

“On the topic of development…” The Ice Emperor tapped a finger against the table. “This is not something I need to keep silent about, but it’s a recent event Little Droplet told me. According to them, it’s an absolutely ridiculous series of coincidences, and they swear it’s not their or the program’s influence.”

As he told the story, Ithiel listened with confusion while Ice and Bloody were starting to become slack-jawed.

Woodcutter didn’t like the castle after being killed by the guards, but that didn’t keep him from exploring the rest of the mountain.

During a fight, he had fallen down the mountain, miraculously surviving the fall. Instead of being killed from the impact, he managed to land in a crevice that resulted in a soft slope. Rolling down he somehow managed to enter a dungeon-like area.

After fighting the monsters there, he reached a cavern, finding a mermaid.

The injured mermaid was healed by one of his potions - a last one he hadn’t taken yet - and woken up.

According to her, she was the princess of the merfolk living in the ocean to the North. After an attack by a gigantic beast, most of her home had been destroyed. Her people had managed to sneak her out at the cost of their lives.

She was formally asking Woodcutter, and all Foreigners, for help in killing the beast…

Oh, also, she was insanely beautiful, and apparently regarded Woodcutter as a hero now. As thanks for saving her, she had given him an item that would allow him to breathe underwater, and if the hint was right, it was the kind of item that was actually broken and would be even more OP if it was combined with all its missing parts…

“Oh no”, Bloody said with a slowly distorting face. “He’s a main character.”

Ice frowned worriedly. “Do main characters usually have exes that they broke up badly with?”

“Absolutely! They’re the sort of cannon fodder rivals that get stomped to the ground.” Bloody nodded his head like a chicken.

Next to them, Ithiel chimed in. “Main character? What’s that? Why does it mean you will be stomped to the ground? Are you going to be in danger?”

“We won’t.” Immediately switching his expression, Bloody patted the youth’s head.

“Is that really something you’re allowed to tell us?”, Ice asked to confirm one more time. It sounded a lot like confidential info.

“Yes.” The Ice Emperor nodded. “Woodcutter filmed the whole ordeal and is currently cutting it into a video. It should be uploaded in a day or two, so you’re merely hearing about it earlier. The quest in itself requires Woodcutter to inform others about it anyway.”

“It does? Is it a world quest?”

“It’s characterized as a new type of quest. It’s called a Story Quest. The impact level is between Main and World quests. They’re not personal quests - everyone will be informed of their existence, but there’s no forced joining. It’s not necessary for everyone to participate, nor is it fully possible due to levels.”

Ice tensed up. “Levels…”

“You’re not caught up yet”, Bloody worriedly said, grabbing Ice’s hand. “That means we…”

“Could participate as long as there is a way to avoid being involved in fights”, the Ice Emperor interrupted softly.

Especially recently, Little Droplet was working hard on adjusting Haven. Despite the classic game mechanisms, the AI also wanted to increase the realism of the world, treat it more as a new reality in development.

That meant that, just like in reality, people should be able to pair up in groups to participate in quests without immediately being in danger. There should be various ways to complete a quest, suitable for combatants, or for those who weren’t.

The way the Mermaid Princess questline had started was absolutely out of Little Droplet’s consideration, even appearing a good bit earlier than planned, so they were rushing on correcting the possible paths to complete it.

It was barely done in time so that even Woodcutter would not be affected and didn’t have any disadvantage.

“Right now we are leveling up Ice and Huntsman, with Ithiel accompanying us. He’s in more danger than any of us considering that if he dies…” Bloody paused, not finishing the sentence.

Ithiel tugged at him like a little child - a habit he had developed recently, possibly because Bloody kept on treating him like a little brother despite Ithiel being a lot older. “You can just leave me somewhere safe if it gets dangerous, but I’d like to come along whenever I can! I… I’m learning a lot!”

Ithiel’s face showed a hope and eagerness that usually didn’t appear on an NPC’s face. The longer he stayed with the group, the more his emotions began to mix, forming more complex expressions.

He was still showing clear differences when interacting with people he didn’t have a relationship with yet - following the line of needing time to develop feeling, contrary to humans who had immediate first impressions - but otherwise…

Ice was pleased to see Ithiel become more and more human. He had a feeling that the elf’s boundless curiosity was one of the changes’ driving forces.

“Ithiel isn’t a warrior. He will hardly affect your quest, so I will see what can be done to grant him additional protection.”

A bit cryptic, but the two players knew that the Emperor was offering to talk to Little Droplet. The immortal mage left the room, returning not too much later - Little Droplet had been watching anyway.

“Ithiel will probably get limited player privileges”, he explained curtly. “A death protection that automatically sends him to a respawn point if a lethal strike would have landed, the ability to use your teleport scrolls, and a special protection for when he goes to sleep - as an equivalent to logging out.”

“Wow”, Bloody whistled. Ithiel tilted his head, noting everything down in his book and adding a couple of big questionmarks behind it.

“It’s an experiment. We will see how he develops”, the Emperor said in a gentle voice, smiling down at Ithiel.

Not too much later, they left. The Emperor was almost unhappy to let Ice leave without handing him items, but they both knew it wouldn’t be good.

Instead, they met up with Dead Rabbit and Huntsman in the capital.

“So!” Bloody clapped his hands together, standing in front of the newbies - and Ithiel. “Now that you two are level 50, we need new equipment for you. Let’s go shopping!”

Huntsman pursed his lips. “I was planning on buying-”

“Nah I’m treating you.”

“But-”

“Faaaaaamily. Come on, I’m rich! Let me pay!” Bloody patted his cousin’s shoulder. After he had broken up with Woodcutter, Huntsman had taken up martial arts training with the intention of protecting Bloody, who had always protected him as a child. He wanted to pay those intentions back.

Ice sighed but didn’t complain. Bloody wasn’t going to let him pay no matter what. Resistance was futile.

“What about me?” Ithiel raised a hand, hopping up and down.

“I’ll buy your stuff if you call me Big Brother.”

“Big Brother Bloody?” Ithiel - the much older elf who only looked like he was young - naively smiled at the request.

“Oh god, my heart.” Bloody put a hand on his chestplate.

“I want to complain that he’s acting ridiculous, but it’s hard to do that when the other party is Ithiel.” Dead Rabbit whispered to Ice, who could only helplessly nod.

Cute, must protect. Ithiel didn’t need to know that he had a personal protection squad fanclub online.

“Off we go to buy stuff then. Let’s start with weapons!”

Little Theater

Ithiel: "C: ?"
Huntsman: "What is this thing"
Bloody: "Cute, isn't he?"
Huntsman: "He looks like I could squash him between my fingers"
Bloody: "You... probably could, so please don't try it.

7