Crusade – Chapter 81: A Step into the Open
4.7k 5 173
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I now also have a Sponsus should you find that preferable to Patreon.

"I guess it is official now?" Laelia asked, staring at what Aperio knew was the System notification. "I did not expect it to sound so… aggressive."

"Neither did I," Aperio said with a sigh. "No matter. What is done is done."

"It reads like some of your old announcements, Mother. Really old ones."

Did I go on a conquering spree in the past? Aperio thought, tilting her head slightly to the side. "Are all the messages you get from the System worded like that?"

"No," Laelia replied with a light shake of her head. "Usually it is factual and straight to the point. 'This happened, which is why you get that'."

There came a pause, as though her Scion was turning over a thought in her mind. Before too much could be concluded, she spoke again. "Do you not know what the System shows to everyone?"

"I do not," Aperio replied. "I certainly have the ability to look at them, should I so choose, but there are far too many notifications going on at any one time to properly pay attention to them. I do not personally get many notifications either, as most of what the System is supposed to do simply does not apply to me.

"You are also the source for most of its rewards," Ferio added. "I am also fairly sure it knows what you want to see and what not but, like so many other things, you've never told me how it works."

Aperio tilted her head to the other side, narrowing her eyes slightly at her daughter's words. The System most certainly did not show her what she wanted to see, otherwise she would know how to use it by now. It only knows how to royally piss me off.

Sometimes she wanted to punch the System itself. It was something she could probably accomplish, one way or another, but she would never seriously entertain the notion as the System was already broken enough as it was. Perhaps that is why it can't tell me what is wrong? Because the part that is supposed to tell me is, itself, broken?

"Something wrong, my Lady?" Laelia asked, taking a step closer as Aperio glanced her way. "I can feel your anger, remember? It is not as pronounced and doesn't affect me anymore, but I still know how you feel."

Aperio shoulders slumped a little as she let out a long sigh. "Do you think it would be disgraceful if the others saw me like this?"

The portal leading to the house of healing was still open, the ability to see and hear from the other side temporarily suspended as Aperio did not want them to witness their conversation.

"Like what? Slightly more approachable?" Ferio asked with a raised eyebrow. "You don't have to try and act like the All-Mother at all times. Just be yourself. I think your followers would appreciate that too, right Laelia?"

Her Scion nodded briefly at the words, seemingly not quite ready to voice her opinion on the matter just yet. Or she is scared of disagreeing with Ferio.

"If I did what wanted to do, I would be in my Void most of the time," Aperio said. "Or I would wander around the world and explore. Having followers is not something I wanted. Friends, yes, but not people devoted to me simply because I am who I am."

She paused for a moment, reaching out with her mind to ask Caethya to join them. Her disciple deserved to hear what she planned to do just as much as her Scion. Leaving after just having founded a church seems wrong. ...But then, I am also never truly far away.

The portal the young Elf was stepping through was proof that Aperio was not restrained by distance. To the one who made it, the laws of the universe were more like guidelines.

"Yes, my Goddess?" Caethya asked once she had cleared the portal. "Is there something you need of me?"

"I wanted to address Laelia and you at the time," Aperio replied. "I will be leaving for Procul once Maria is healed. Alone. It is not because you did anything wrong, I simply require a bit of time on my own."

"Your interactions with mortals are rather... volatile. Are you sure you should go alone?" Laelia asked, taking a small step forward. "Not even Ferio will be joining you?"

"She is right, Mother," Ferio agreed. "Just think about what you did to that Human in the dungeon."

She just doesn't want me to leave her, does she? It did fit with Ferio's behaviour. Her daughter had made it quite clear that she wanted to remain at her mother's side, after all. But it's not like I will be gone. "I will still answer your prayers and return should the need arise. But I will not get used to the mortals if I am always treated as a Goddess. Having an entourage at all times does not help with that."

Caethya hesitated for a moment, her eyes wandering over Aperio. "I don't think travelling alone will change the amount of attention you will receive or how the people view you, my Goddess. Your appearance is quite… distracting."

Oh, right. The mana. With a sigh, Aperio reduced the flow from her well, shrinking it back to the slow trickle it had been in the beginning. The wisps gradually returned to her, melting into her skin and joining the flow of mana through her body. What did not change, however, was her height. She was merely taller than her Scion, but she simply towered over everyone else around her. I guess that's permanent, then?

Another thought caused her wings to vanish, the feeling of being less complete settling at the back of her mind. Annoying. Why she even felt that way was just something else she would have to figure out. Her new form would, however, aid in drawing less attention.

"Now I am just a tall Elf with a swordstaff," Aperio said, her weapon settling comfortably in her hand. Her dress slowly shifted as she sped along its repair and alterations. Perhaps add some armour? "Should be fairly normal, no?"

"No, mother," Ferio replied with a sigh. "Nothing about you is normal. If you stick around long enough the mortals will figure out what you are no matter how much you hide it. As blind as they are to the world, they can always spot a divine."

"Truly?"

"Your daughter has a point," Caethya said. "When you speak, I can feel it in my soul. It is hard to describe what it is, but I know you are something more."

Aperio tilted her head. "But you carry a blessing of mine, as does Laelia. Ferio is my daughter. What you all notice of my presence is most definitely not the same as what a mortal would perceive."

"Even when I first met you, you were far from normal. Though that was mostly because you had just fought a Demon without any weapon." Laelia's words brought back the memory of the awful spider-bear thing she had battled in what she now knew to be the Eternal Forest. She knew such creatures were wrong, and that even the other Gods hated them, but was still no closer to knowing what they were. Nor have I seen one since…

"But did you know in your soul that I was a Goddess? The All-Mother?"

"No," her Scion relented, "I did not. I mean no offense, but I still believe your understanding of us is… lacking."

Aperio waved off the woman's concern. "It's fine. I prefer it if you speak your minds. Having everyone scared and groveling all the time is annoying. I do not want to hurt anyone, nor do I wish anyone to worship me simply because that is somehow expected."

"Is that why you want to go on your own, mother?" Ferio asked, closing the distance that separated them. An apology echoed through Aperio's mind as her daughter wrapped her arms around her, causing the All-Mother to let her weapon vanish back into the void. The incoherent flood of thoughts from Ferio was not something the All-Mother had expected, especially not in front of mortals.

With a thought, her wings returned to their rightful place, spreading out behind her briefly as a counterbalance before she folded them against her back. Much better. Very carefully she embraced her daughter and returned the hug. "Why are you apologising? You did nothing wrong."

Ferio did not respond, only hugging her mother tighter. Caethya and Laelia stood there for a moment, seemingly not quite sure what to do at the rather ungodly display in front of them.

The All-Mother did not mind. She might not understand why Ferio was doing what she was, but Aperio still appreciated the fact that her daughter was willing to display emotion in front of her and mortals; thus far it had only ever been one of the two.

"I just need some space. If you need me you can still reach me," Aperio said, shifting her gaze onto her followers. "The same is true for you. Just pray to me and I will come." It’s not as though distance means anything.

"What about your church, my Goddess?" Laelia asked, vaguely gesturing towards the still-open portal. "I have no doubts that many people will want to join, but I do not know what I should tell them. Unlike Vigil, you have no list of commandments. None that I know of, at least."

Aperio had no answer. She had never wanted a church, but that was now irrelevant as she had made one anyway. Better than having the mortals blindly attempt to interpret what my words actually mean, though.

"You are correct, I do not have anything like that," Aperio replied, gently stroking the back of her daughter's head. What happened to her?

Holding Ferio just a little tighter, Aperio returned her attention to Laelia. "How does a mortal choose whom to follow, anyway?"

"Whoever is most relevant to us," Caethya answered. "For myself, it was Mayeia at first, but after I found you I knew you were the one."

"But why? They can follow me, yes, but I do not give anything in return," Aperio said, pausing for a moment before she quickly added, "You and Laelia are the exceptions. You were both blessed, but I would also like to consider you friends, not followers."

Neither of them seemed to have expected what she said, if she went by the rather confused looks on their faces. I guess a Goddess doesn't declare mortals friends that often? Her thoughts were interrupted as Ferio tried to separate herself from the prolonged embrace, only able to do so after Aperio let go.

"I'm sorry," the Goddess of Life and Light mumbled. "I am just not ready to let you go again."

"Again?" Laelia mumbled to herself, fixing her eyes on the All-Mother a moment later. "Is there something we should know?"

Aperio could only sigh at the question. "There is. But I am not sure if I am ready to share it quite yet."

Caethya's eyes darted between the floor and the All-Mother, the young Elf obviously wanting to say something but not quite sure what. Or scared to do so. "Yes, Caethya?"

"Is it why you were so angry at Vigil and Inanis?" her disciple asked, her voice barely a whisper. "And with the dungeon core you destroyed?"

"They were responsible. Partially, at least," Aperio replied. "The cores are a consequence of what they did. I plan to destroy the dungeon the new masters of the Ebenlowe dungeon spoke of next."

"I understand you wish to go alone, my Goddess," Laelia began. "But don't do it just because you feel the need to prove something. You have nothing to prove; you tear apart reality with no effort."

The All-Mother tilted her head slightly in reply, not quite understanding what her Scion was trying to say. "I do not want to prove anything. I simply want time to think."

"Mother was never good at dealing with people," Ferio said with a small smile on her face. "But, perhaps, it is best if she has some time alone that is not in her Void. I don't like it either — probably even less than either of you — but I am starting to think it is for the best."

"Like I said," Aperio interjected, "you can still reach me, and I will come back if it is needed."

Before another word could be spoken, Aperio raised her hand. She had felt the tiny shift in her well that could only have come from one of Maria's failed prayers. So they are ready?

"Maria and her father have come to a decision," Aperio said. "My presence is required. Caethya, if you could please keep an eye on Adam, I would be very thankful."

"Of course, my Goddess," the Elf replied, quickly bowing her head and stepping through the portal leading to the house of healing. 

Did I do something wrong? "Have I offended Caethya?"

"I don't think you did," Ferio replied, "but I will check up on her if you wish."

"Thank you." The words were accompanied by a new tear in reality, this one leading to the Terenyk estate. "Are you coming, Laelia?"

Her Scion hesitated for a moment before nodding. "Yes, Aperio."

If you like the story, do leave a rating. If you really like it, please write a review!

Want to chat? Join the Discord. Want to read ahead? Check out the Patreon or Sponsus.

173