[Extra 1] Mizuki is not amused.
2k 9 73
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I couldn’t tell you what he was so unbelievably pissed about.

It wasn’t even an openly being pissed - it was simmering below the surface, quietly bubbling, only visible through the slightest purse of his lips or the way his eyebrows were just a bit lower than usual. (Which I could tell, because I used a lot of time just staring at him.)

He did have his quiet phases, but I felt that wasn’t it - he was pissed about something.

So I carefully tried to stay around him, maybe pick up some sort of hint. 

I failed.

System!!!
[I can’t give you any hints.]
So you knooow??
[I know.]

It somehow felt mischievous. I was grinding my teeth, trying to think of what could make him mad. Nothing really appeared to be special. Usual morning, usual days, no fight or something.

I walked in a circle in the kitchen until I heard my phone vibrate and jogged over.

“Heya, Riku”, the cheerful voice greeted me. “You got your plans ready yet? What about seven?”

I hummed in reply. Kei was one of my fellow ‘classmates’ and somewhat of a new friend. We got along well and often played games together.

There’d be a festival the day today, or rather, its final day. With fireworks and all that stuff.

I had wanted to invite Mizuki but then remembered that I had asked him before: He didn’t feel like dealing with such a crowded, loud place for something he wasn’t really fond of, so nope. He didn’t want to go. I could ask someone else.

So, I had asked Kei, because Kei isn’t bad to be around. And he’s fine with spontaneous plans.

“Seven sounds good, I guess. Should we meet up at the entrance?”
“Yep! Alright, I’ll go get my Yukata then! See ya later!”

Yukata, huh. I wasn’t planning on wearing one, but I liked them.

I flopped down on the sofa next to my still annoyed darling and glanced over.

“Everything okay?”, I carefully asked. He turned over to me and glared subconsciously.

“I’m gonna go out for a while”, he said after a second and just stood up.

I opened my mouth, but-

[Nooo.]
...Noo?
[Leave him.]

...I curled on the sofa and sadly hugged my pillow, wasting away the last hours. I wasn't even allowed to run after him? But I was going to cuddle him until I had to leave!!

Finally, I dragged myself up, got into a slightly nicer-looking outfit and went out, disappointed that Mizuki hadn’t come back yet.

I’m out. I’ll write to you later, okay?”
My text message went unanswered orz

Somewhat slouching, I reached Kei. Small, fluffy Kei who kind of reminded me of a little furry puppy hopping everywhere.

He just looked tinier in the Yukata - and he already looked tiny next to me, anyway.

“Fe-sti-val~”, he sang as he hopped towards me, taking my hand and spinning me around. “Let’s go, let’s go!”

I smiled awkwardly, letting him twirl me, when I jolted.

“Riku.”

There’s no way I won’t be able to recognize Mizuki’s voice, even if there are way too many people around and it’s insanely loud.

I whirled my head around, just as Kei curiously peeked past me.

Mizuki walked towards me, the dark-blue Yukata snuggly fitting his body. Clouds were covering it as motives, not childish but giving off a serene feeling.

I squeaked, covered my mouth and randomly waved my other hand around to get rid of the sudden burst of energy. 

Mizuki stopped befoe me, glanced at Kei, then back at me.
“You won’t mind me coming along, right?”

I continued to squeal - the sound lowly leaking - and shook my head like a rattle-drum.

Kei, as Kei was, hopped up and down. 
“Is that your boyfriend? So good-looking! Boyfriend, come along! It’ll be fun!”

Under normal circumstances, I would find his childish behaviour amusing, but I was too preoccupied with squealing, calming down and wondering if I could somehow snap a photo of Mizuki just looking absolutely gorgeous.

“Mn”, Mizuki agreed, reaching out to grab my hand and then looking at me with a ‘Are we going yet?’ look.

I was overwhelmed with where this burst of fortune was from.

[It’s amusing that the mere thought is so ridiculous to you, that you don’t notice even though you’re usually not slow on the uptake.]
What?
[Nothing. Hold his hand and have fun.]

I was skipping over the festival, much to Kei’s amusement. Mizuki eased up after a while, too, which was very great.

I always liked festival food, so I went running around, stuffing myself to the brim and beaming, suggesting pretty much everything to my boyfriend in hopes of showing him how nice festivals could be.

Grumpy Mizuki didn’t talk a lot, but he allowed himself to be swept along by me and indulged me in my stupid behaviour.

“I don’t think we met directly, before. I’m Kei”, my co-student introduced himself officially when we sat on the side, me nibbling on cotton candy.

“Mizuki”, Mizuki answered back after a moment of silent staring. Kei grinned broadly at him.

“You should play along with us sometimes. It really is fun, doing quests and stuff together!”

Ugh, I could never really get my darling interested in videogames. Yes, he sometimes played with me, and stuff like Mario Kart was something he’d actively take a part in, but he would never turn into a gamer.

Kei had a slightly weird tilt to his grin as he continued to talk to the silent Mizuki.

“After all, it’s boring to always just play with two people. I don’t really like the games his other friends play, so we have a separate game we play on together.”

I dunno why I felt that it was weird he was saying all that.
I also think I heard something like muted laughter in my head.
And I kinda felt like Mizuki’s face was looking darker than just a moment ago.

“Talking about games, did you see the project we are working on together? Riku is pretty good, so it’s a lot of fun! Too bad the assignment will be over soon.”

...I-... Somehow, I dunno, but something’s wrong here?
Kei is also looking like he’s about to burst into laughter but Mizuki is looking kinda bad?

I’m missing something here, but I dunno what?

“I actually prefer to do things with just one friend rather than with large groups, and Riku is the same way. That does make it a lot easier.”

The wooden chopsticks Mizuki had been eating with made a small crack as he glowered at Kei, whose lips were trembling so hard by now that his eyes were tearing up.

He coughed, trying to hide his laughter, then stood up and waved at me with teary eyes and still trembling face.

“I’ll leave you on your own for the fireworks. See you next week, Riku!”
“Ah? Y-Yeah, see you?”

...Hadn’t he been looking forward to the fireworks?
What?
Why suddenly run away?

I slowly turned to Mizuki, who took a deep breath and continued focusing on his food.

Ding!

[(Oh sheesh, Sweetie.)

  • “Can you tell me why you’re mad?”
  • “I don't understand.”
  • “What did just happen?”]

Hey!! What kinda introduction to a choice is that!

I sniffled anyway, and talked.
“I don’t understand.”

Mizuki chewed on his snack ferociously before swallowing and looking at me, placing his chopsticks down with a click.

“I don’t like festivals.”
“...I-I know, that’s why I didn't ask you…”
“It’s perfectly fine for you to go with your friends.”
“Yeah, th-that’s why-”
“And I don’t doubt that you like me.”
“Uh-”
“But don’t go to a festival, where the last day is intended for lovers, with one other guy, who just happens to be looking adorable!”

Jeopardy.

“...Were you jealous?”
My jaw had dropped. Completely unbelieving. I… was misunderstanding that, right?

He snorted.
“I don’t like it. Don’t do that. Drag Yuji or whoever into your games with him.”

I squeaked.
Okay.

“...Stop looking so happy.”
“But! But! But! You are jealous! Over me!”

He looked at me with an incredulous gaze.
“And why can't I be a bit possessive when it’s about my lover?”

The sky above us exploded with red and yellow, whistling sounds ending in the loud crackle of fireworks raining down the sky.
My boyfriend, in his Yukata, was looking at me with a pouting face, the dark sky behind him lighting up.

“...If you start crying, I’ll go home. This is such a cliche. How are you even touched?”

“Maybe exactly because it’s such a nice cliche”, I sobbed, then pulled him closer so he could snuggle in my arm and I could hug him with my head tilted up.

Wouldn’t cry, I wouldn’t cry or he’d go home.

I should buy Kei a beer.

Gimme another, uh, day and a half for the rest of the extras! Ahaha. Hope it was worth the wait for a short, jelly Mizuki

73