7. Probing
130 4 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Im back! Sorry for not posting any chapters lately. As a new author, I have a lot of ideas but struggles to express them with my inexperience in writing. Good thing someone reached out to me in RoyalRoad and gave me important things to remember as a writer and went on to read some stories and absorbed how they went on with their stories. I want to constantly improve so please help me point out where I lack. I'm open to any criticism Anyways, updates are back on track. Thanks!

Ah, shit here we go again.

We were attacked just as I finished giving my speech and blessings to the populace. Fortunately, the barrier was able to resist the attack but I don't want to test how long it can stand.

"Looks like we were found first, Henry."

I turned to Henry and tried to make a joke to ease the creeping worry in me. He visibly flinched and let out an awkward laugh. Along with his laugh are the screams of the people clearly in panic due to the attack. They were clamoring but I could see Margaret already trying to calm them down and evacuate them.

Boom!

Another hit landed on the barrier causing tremors and mana fluctuations. I frowned since that hit was stronger than the last.

"Your Majesty, what are your orders? Our forces are ready to move out as we speak."

Pass the capital walls, I can see using my enhanced eyes that they're preparing for another barrage of spells. 

 

"Don't worry, there's no need to. Tell our mages to shut down the barrier. As for the reason why there's no need to worry, I think you already know."

Henry didn't react but I saw a sudden glint in his eyes.

"Of course, Your Majesty. I will relay the order to our mages."

I nodded and willed the air around me to make me float at the top of the city. When I reached the perfect altitude, I looked over towards the enemy and saw even stronger spells hurling towards us. I immediately erected another barrier but a bit different from the last.

The people below gazed at me with evident fear and worry for their lives and me. Now I feel sorry for making them worry just to make this plan successful. 

 Everybody braced for impact but when the enemy spells made contact with my barrier, the spells disappeared. Like the spells didn't make any contact with my barrier at all. The enemies hurriedly launched another barrage but the outcome was still the same.

"Phew, I'm glad that worked"

I gambled since I think I understand the other side's intention. They were just probing, and I believe that the other Champions are also somehow watching this spectacle.

 They want to know if I'm dangerous or not so I tried to settle in the middle. I don't want them to label us as dangerous nor weak, just being troublesome is enough keep the pests away.

" Since you guys are so kind to visit me, I'll return the favor."

With a playful smile, I prepared my spell using my barrier. The barrier was a mana-sucking barrier. It absorbs the mana of a spell that gets into contact with it and renders it useless. I can use a percentage of the mana absorbed but still, it has its limits since a spell with a high amount of mana will destroy it in one go, but it's perfect for this situation.

"Effundensque"

I released my spell and a wave of mana surge from the barrier and towards the enemy ranks. Effundensque is an anti-army spell that sucks air from a certain radius around me. It's very effective for catching enemies off guard and make them panic.

"Hehehe. Let's see if you can survive this. Don't disappoint me"

 

The enemy forces started to panic and thrashed around like headless chickens. They tried to breathe but no air can be breathed in. Their ranks slowly crumbled as fear quickly spread among them.

"Ack! Cant....breathe...."

"Help!! Air! We can't breathe"

"Everybody...run! Stay away...from....here."

 

Bodies fell one by one until a vast majority of the enemies' vanguard died in just a short amount of time. 

"Hmph, that's what you get from messing with me. Now scram, 'tis not the time for me go out of my way to cause mass genocide....wait.. scratch that. I feel like I'm some edgy lord for some reason now. Whatever." 

After correcting myself. I willed a part of my mana signature to latch on a surviving soldier to track them in the future.

Ding! 

A reward has been issued to you for your first successful defense battle. 

As I read the system notification. Cheers erupted from my back as the enemy forces turned around to retreat. Many made a sigh of relief since they just avoided making their travels to the afterlife. I faced my people and used my manipulation powers to enhance my voice.

"Everyone! We might have avoided disaster just now but do not feel complacent. They are still out there waiting to annihilate us. So we must be prepared for anything, for now, everybody should rest."

My voice was booming so everyone heard me. They listened and started moving to their own respective houses and a bustling atmosphere slowly filled the streets. Feeling happy with the results, I slowly descended towards the castle to meet up with Henry and Margaret.

"Good work, Your Majesty."Both of them greeted me.

"Good work to you guys too."

" It is nothing, Your Majesty. You did all the work." Henry replied.

"He's right, Your Majesty. I'm ashamed since I couldn't help you repelling the enemies." Margaret said while bowing her head.

I chuckled hearing them speak without any reserve. 

"Henry, Margaret. It's fine, both of you served me well. But things are going to get more troublesome if we don't receive reports from our scouts immediately." I spoke with a hint of urgency in my voice. 

We are sitting ducks out in the open to be hunted by patient predators. I thought every champion transferred in this region at the same time but it looks like that it's not the case. If that's the case then knowing where I am and where my enemies are will increase our chances of survival. 

"Don't worry, Your Majesty. The scouts should arrive this evening or tomorrow. By then, we will have more info to work on." Henry answered with a solemn voice.

"Then that's good, I want them to report immediately to me once they arrive," I answered as a sigh of relief escaped from my mouth.

"I'll tell them that when they arrive, Your Majesty. For now, you should rest in your chambers while Henry and I take care of the rest." Margaret answered with a smile on her face.

I nodded to Margaret and made my way to my chambers. Knowing I could rely on them every time made a smile appeared on my face. I'm so lucky to have them as my subordinates. 

Any thoughts about my story? Comment down below to let me know! Thanks!

5