Ch 4: First battle.
751 3 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As I leave the burrow with my sister I take a look around, thanks to my eyes having night vision due to living underground for most of my life, I can see in the night pretty clearly, the sight is very nice looking with the night sky being clear and the moon shining brightly.

It is a scene that reminds me very much of the day I had died, remembering that day fills my body with dread, and I instantly stiffen up.

My sister had noticed the change in my behavior instantly, she looks towards me with worried eyes and asks me.

"Big brother, are you okay?"

"Yes, I am okay, just don't mind it."

"If you say so, big brother."

After my brief shock we had begun our hunt, I instantly recall about those two horned rabbits that father let get away, I still remember their scents so I could try following their scent.

I sniff the air, then I get a whiff of them.

Good I can still find them.

My head turns to a spot in the trees.

So it's through there.

"Hey sister, this way."

"Got it"

We run towards the opening between the trees following the smell until...

"So they are in that burrow, kinda reminds me of home."

"How will we attack them big brother?"

"We will go for a surprise attack, I will go in first and you wait outside until you see me running out, then you wait until you see one of them appear then you pounce on him."

"Awww. Can't we just rush them both? There are two of them and two of us we are equal in numbers and I reckon we can beat 'em easily!"

"Shhh quiet. We have to never underestimate our enemies or that will cause our deaths, we are going into their dens too, so we might not be able to move properly."

"Alright then we will do it your way big brother."

I go towards the burrow very carefully, trying to make as little noise as possible, I enter into the burrow and sure enough I see the two horned rabbits, I approach one of them trying to defeat one in a stealth attack, but suddenly it awakes, it looks at me then get on alarm it wakes up the one next to it and they face me, thinking that they can take me 2 on 1 as I was still a cub, they rush towards me trying to impale me but I dodge out of the way then retreat out of the burrow.

As I run out of the exit I move away from it then see the rabbits come out the first one to come out was ambushed by my sister, who had hidden in some bushes near the exit, she bites the neck of the first horned rabbit then holds it down while trying to finish it off, the other rabbit rushes towards her to stab her with its horn, but I scratch the rabbit before it can attack, the rabbit flails in pain after having his face clawed by me, it begins to rush towards me but I dodge to the right and counter by biting its neck from the side as it passes, both rabbits now held by both of us begin to squirm and flail desperately trying to escape from our holds, we had twisted their necks and had finished them off, I had kind of a sick feeling in my stomach from the nerve wracking battle we had gone through, then the essence of being of the rabbits had come out, one flowing into me and the other flowed to my sister, feeling my strength increase in a way I had never felt before, I had absorbed the essence.

"Hey sister did you feel stronger after beating these rabbits?"

"Yeah! I feel way stronger now, nobody can beat me now haha!"

I chuckle at my sister's reaction, then I look at the bodies of the rabbits, they are lifeless and with bloodstains around their neck, I felt pretty bad about killing them, but it's survival of the fittest.

"Let's bring those bodies back so we can eat, you carry your prey and I will carry mine."

"Okay. Yay! A fea~st. A fea~st." My sister hums happily as she picks up one of the rabbits.

I sigh at her, then pick up the other rabbit and we head home.

When we get back home, mother scolds us for going to hunt by ourselves then almost instantly praises us for being able to hunt a horned rabbit at our age, our father gives us a nod of approval and looks proud of us yet he still tells us to never go hunt without him or mother.

My brothers start talking about how cool it was that we managed to hunt actual prey then go on asking us to take them with us next time, I tell them to ask father to go with him to actually hunt and they seem satisfied with that explanation, We share the meal and then go to sleep.

I dream of that fateful night when I had died, the trees look as if they are screaming in horror and the birds feel as if they are mocking me, as the car increases in speed faster and faster I try to scream but cannot then I go flying out of the car and right before I land I wake up, I had woken in a cold sweat I had gotten a nightmare from the time I had died, I look towards the entrance to see the moon to forget the dream, but I see a silhouette standing there.

It was a silhouette of my younger brother and he was leaving by himself.


Should I revise the prologue?
  • Yes Votes: 12 27.3%
  • No Votes: 32 72.7%
Total voters: 44
19