Ch 58: Inside the village.
163 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Seeing the village from the inside was unlike anything I've seen before, although I had been "surveilling" them, being in it was way different, looking at the people I see that they were humans, no cool fantasy races here, well except the guard, some of the people were ignoring me while others were just staring, well I guess I do look a little suspicious hahaha, erm right I need to ask someone for directions. I go up to a woman that was walking nearby while carrying some leek-like vegetables.

"Uh, do you perhaps have a map here?"

The woman looked shocked at my words, then start saying something, why didn't she just use telepathy?

"Sorry, I don't speak this language."

When she heard that she shook her head instead, I guess they don't have a map, the woman then hurries off, almost dropping the leeks she was carrying. Now I was alone in the road of this village, I guess I'll walk on it until I reach the village square, while I was walking I was thinking of why she didn't communicate with telepathy, did they never practice any techniques or ever fight? That's probably it, but I don't understand why they don't want to practice these techniques, after all they were so convenient.

As I was walking deep in thought, two kids were using sticks as swords were play fighting with each other, they were backing rapidly onto me until one of them had crashed into me and fell down, the kid had tears in his eyes, uh oh please don't cry kid!

"Its ok, please don't cry."

I try to heal the kid to make sure that he doesn't cry, the kid was surprised that his pain suddenly vanished, then looked up at me, I guess he must've seen my mask as he looked a little scared, in my surroundings I catch that there were people standing outside of their wooden and stone houses, all of them were looking at me in amazement, is healing super amazing or something? I pay them no more mind and then focus on the kid, the other kid was frantically saying something, maybe he was apologizing? I guess I'll talk with them telepathically.

"Don't worry you two, I'm not mad that you crashed into me."

The kids were shocked then they became excited, they started shouting something to the villagers, it kinda hurt my ears due to how loud they were, one of the villagers practically dashed towards me, he held my gloved hand then was saying something to me, he was crying and was falling to his knees, w-what is going on?!

Due to all this commotion the human looking guard had appeared once more, oh thank god, mr guard please rescue me!

"I am very sorry for our impoliteness." He says as he yells something at the man.

"No no, it's fine, but what was that man saying?"

"I am also sorry for letting you go without anyone to help you with communication, but walter here was asking you to heal his sick daughter."

"Why don't you save her without asking a stranger like me?"

"No one in the village has the ability to perform healing techniques, and she doesn't have enough time for someone to learn it, the other option is to go inside the forest for some Avalyn mushrooms, but the forest is extremely dangerous and they only grow pretty deep into the forest where more violent and powerful monsters exist."

"I've never had too much trouble learning techniques though?"

"Really? Does that mean you are also evolved?"

"Well, yeah."

"Unbelievable! You have already evolved at such a young age?"

"Is that super impressive?"

"Most people never evolve throughout their entire lives or die in the process, training until you evolve is also difficult as it would take longer."

Oh crap, looks like evolving is actually pretty hard, maybe I should consider myself lucky that I even evolved?

"I know that you aren't obligated to help us, but please, help the girl and I promise you to also give you whatever you want."

"Alright, I'll help you in any way I can, let me see the girl, oh yeah what's your name also, mine is Rai by the way."

"Rai huh? Well mine is August." 

August looked kind if inquisitive now he knew my name, maybe he was thinking I was from the continent in the west? But that doesn't matter now. August started telling walter something, when he had finished he had hugged me while he was crying, and I think he was thanking me.

He then leads me and august to their house, I see that his daughter was lying in bed, she looked thin and was breathing heavily, I couldn't feel her temperature without taking off my gloves but I can tell that she had a high temperature. Walter was saying something to her while clutching her hand.

"Hey, what is he telling her?"

"He is telling her that everything will be alright and that someone with experience in healing has come, and that the two of them will go picking flowers like they've always done."

"Oh... I... Ahem can you tell me what she has been eating for a while?"

"Just bread and vegetables, although a small amount as a lot of the country is having a bit of a shortage."

"What happened?"

"A lot of the plants randomly started dying, that had caused the shortage to appear and we had to plant it away from the dying plants so they can grow fine, so we have only been surviving off of the rations for winter."

Well now that he mentions it, the people here were looking pretty thin, malnutrition I guess, but what this girl has is probably a flu like disease, I am not a doctor so this is just a guess, maybe trying to heal would do something?

I try to heal the girl, I was healing her for a while but nothing happened, well I guess that to cure her I need to kill the virus first so that was kind of a stupid mistake, now lemme think, white blood cells fight diseases right? So what if I try to apply body strengthening to her but use it on the immune system? Something like that would need impeccable precision, I guess it would be sort of like the Ascendant strengthening, I try to do it on her blood vessels but I just couldn't do it, it looks like healing her like this was just too difficult, sort of like trying to put a thread through a needle, but you also need to do it several thousand times in a row and one mistake will blow open that blood vessel, maybe I'll just strengthen all of her body? When I do that her muscles were being strained and she was bleeding, Walter was shouting at me when that happened, I quickly heal the muscles before the strain kills her, she was too weak to just dump energy and strengthen her, and the control needed to do it carefully was too much for me.

"I am sorry August, I can heal injuries but sick people are beyond me, that means we have to get that mushroom."

"Damn it! Is there no hope for this child? Do not worry Rai, you've done your best."

"Hah? No I am just going to go grab  one of those mushrooms."

"Don't force yourself so much for strangers, you've already tried which is plenty, there is no need to risk your life for strangers."

"Shut up, I won't take no for an answer, do you think I'll let someone that can be saved die just for my own self?"

August was incredibly shocked by what he heard from me, he started gritting his teeth then looked determined.

"You're correct, I did not go into the forest due to my own cowardice, I was about to let this child die due to fear of getting killed in the forest, let me come with you, I absolutely cannot let a young boy like you go alone."

"Eh? Do whatever you want I guess."

August had told Walter that we were going into the forest, Walter was saying something and shaking his head, it looks like he was trying to stop us from going into the forest, I wait for the two to complete their arguing. Finally, August had left and I followed him, we better get this shroom fast since I wanna explore the village more.


5