Scorned by Reality (Arc 1, Chapter 5)
112 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Troy woke up to the smell of something burning, but doesn't quickly sit up. He opens his eyes, not realizing that there was a new rainbow sheen to them before he takes a deep breath. It was a struggle to make himself sit up, overall his body felt heavy. 

At the thought of what happened he realizes that his heart was pumping rapidly. That, feeling of powerlessness, what he read. It was burned into his mind as he stood up and rubbed his eyes. They hurt like hell, and he wasn't sure why.

Finally deciding to address the burning smell, which didn't smell like a fire, which is why he wasn't that quick to do anything. He walks into his small living room. He freezes at the sight before him, and begins to shake as he backs up into the wall due to not looking behind him.

There was a bowl of still steaming, bubbling tomato soup on the wooden table. It had spilled over the edge with how hot it was. Marking his nice table with red broth. Next to it was a sandwich made of two black pieces of toast that seemed more like bricks, piled high with cheese and ham to the point where he wasn't sure he could even fit that in his mouth.

He asked the reasonable question of who cooked this to himself. He didn't really want to think a ghost made him a meal, because it made him think he was insane.

Troy tenses but doesn't fight as he's pulled over, sat down in front of the meal he made. He really felt like he was being watched closely.

"Hey, listen um" Troy begins to speak, a shaky edge to his voice "Look, this is nice. However, uh, whoever you are? This is too big, and the toast is quite literally black" he points to the piled high sandwich. As he says this, the black toast is pulled away, reducing the size of the stack as it's put off to the side. "This is also, pretty hot. I think it may bur-" halfway through this sentence there's a clutter from his kitchen, a cup of ice flies through the air and pours into the soup, quickly melting but half cooling it. 

"T-thank you, okay" Troy just nods, feeling the chill on him he knows that maybe continuing to complain isn't the best idea. He reaches down, mixing the soup around before drinking some of it. There wasn't any spoon and he wasn't asking for one. He drinks a good amount before setting it down. 

"My name is Troy, Troy Davis. Do, you have a name?" He asks, figuring this was the best chance he had to talk with this ghost. He had many questions, but needed to start small. He didn't want to anger it.

A few moments pass, but there's no answer. Troy nervously chuckles, eating more of the food as best he can "Guess, um, not huh?" he says. 

"Can you say anything more? I really want to know why a ghost is following me around" Troy says, just saying that felt so weird, but he keeps his cool. He already fainted once, and he still felt weak.


Alexander debated a long time on how to answer that question. He didn't want to tell Troy everything, or anything. However, his hopes of remaining quiet and just observing the man were put to the halt by the next mission for his origin chain.

Announcement
The Ultima Error: Origin Story 3
Mission: Establish your new reputation, create a story and lore for your existence.
Rewards: Become able to teach and give the ??? class, and bring it back from non-existence under a new name
Failure: This mission will fail if you don't put some effort and flair into your story
Notes: Make it good

He decided to wait a moment before answering, with the second question he already knew how he wanted to answer. He moved, and brought back the journal from before, this time with an actual non dried out pen. 

The man hesitated, but held his hand out. Alexander took control of it using his threads, manipulating it to begin writing as the man ate. He wrote slowly now, taking great care to put as good effort as he can into his letters. It would be embarrassing with the claims he was making if the writing was shaky or anything.

After a long while he finally let go of his hand, and moved back, the mission completed right then and there. The mission screen automatically changed to the new reputation system he had, and began to fill out the same words he wrote out on the page. Just not from a first person view.

Announcement
Reputation

Rank of Infamy (Due to your lore, you are labeled a being of change and perhaps evil, meaning your ranks are infamous rather than famous): Person With Evil Thoughts

Number of People who know of you (only measures permanent impressions, and they must know your story): 1 person (Troy Davi of Larian)

Lore (Your lore, your story that you have crafted and that people must know about to increase your reputation further): Once a being of reasonable power, but possessing an ability that even the gods feared. Struck down before he could rise to true power, the gods played at erasing him from existence. Yet against the very gods who feared him, he rebelled, permanently they've now earned his scorn. His name, his history, all were erased from existence, but he still persists. Now, he can be called only by one name, Null.

Alexander smiled at the lore, after reading it through himself he turned to look at Troy, only to see the man passed out again. What a weak heart, it was really sad.


Troy woke up with a start as a resounding smack hit his cheek, and he quickly sat up. He shook, unable to comprehend what he just read even more than a ghost. The journal drops beside him.

He swallows his salvia, he found the 'I was once a being of reasonable power' to be humble-bragging. If the gods feared him, that had to be not the whole truth. Now he just, messed with him for what reason?

"So, why exactly, Null, did you decided to target me?" He asks.

A moment later, he felt something in eyes. He rubbed them, only to find that he felt like they were burning. He bite his lip and held back the urge to rub harder.

He shuddered as his body begin to shape and change, his body felt like everything was cracking under pressure. His head began to hurt as well and he held it in his hands "What the hell is going on!" his eyes shined a brighter rainbow color.

There was a loud bang as his nails turned sharper and his skin turned slightly harder. The sound of the near instant change rippling through his body. Afterwards, he slowly moved his hands and looked at them, shaking.

"Did you do this to me?" his mind was swimming with thoughts, it felt like he was trying to process everything despite not wanting to. Not to mention, he can feel his strength is way too much right now, he might accidentally injure someone if he tried to just give them a handshake.

Troy felt his hand moving, and he let it as it began to write again. He flexed his hand, staring at the claw like nails he now possessed. Marveling at how sudden, but also painful the change was.

When the hand finished writing he resolved himself to not pass out this time, picking it up and reading it while his food went forgotten. He wasn't hungry anymore anyway.

"You now possess the power I once did, weak as it may be in a body like yours. I hope you'll help me to gain more people to remember me and gain this power. The gods messed up by taking away my form, because now I'll need to pull more people into my web. You will be the central anchor of that web Troy.  The power you feel right now isn't even all of it. There is still the Release Technique, but it will make you quite angry. Let's see how it works for you, shall we? Put both hands together in fists, and focus on your blood until it activates" the note both explained and instructed.

Troy waited a moment before he nodded, this sounded so strange to him. He thinks this is good luck, but he can't be sure, he puts his hands together and begins to focus as instructed.

Announcement
3 total rewrites more or less of this chapter. Hope you enjoyed, and thank you for reading.
2