Chapter Fifty-Three
73 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Upon reaching grand red doors made of sturdy-looking wood, two guards looked at the two conspicuous individuals as if they were strangers, instead of guests.

"Greetings, knight Rudolf, knight Steiner," her dad bowed lightly.

The use of their title dictated that they were nobles despite being guards. However, it was likely that they had such privilege because of their social birth. After all, beyond these fierce and ancient doors, stood a very important figure of the kingdom.

"Luke the healer and... who is that shrimp?" The man in shiny armor glared at the young lady, showing no remorse for doing so, at least zero tolerance for such an approach. Years of experience backed up this man; his hand resting on top of the pummel, exhibited his honesty and willingness to sever the young lady's neck if necessary. His dark glint carried no hate only a purpose backed by honor and duty.

"Sir Rudolf, this is my daughter. She has come to play chess with his highness."

The knight didn't look at her, the dimmed light caused a shadow to permeate atop the girl's face. Her eyes remained closed, lips trembling, something about her amiss.

One of the doors opened by the strong knight, he went through, silence remaining behind, surrounding the three who stayed there, dust piling on top of them.
Luke knew he had to schedule ahead, his gamble could turn sour, and his highness could send both back, never to return.
'But he's a man of the people,' Luke refuted the doubts lingering in his mind, unwilling to back down after witnessing what Aurora had shown him. She had gone through worse than the rare demonic parts of the beings he had once seen. Still, with unwavering faith, he allowed her to get her way.

Nonetheless, Luke was not dumb, his eyes could barely see the line on top of his head being pulled by his daughter's slender hands. However, despite that knowledge, he had unlocked what he felt to be the most important memory for any individual to have, but it had not been the only one. During their trip, upon her request, he had also unlocked her expertise in playing chess.
After doing so, he questioned her how skilled she was.
Her answer had flabbergasted his doubts: "Anyone who spends a thousand years in solitude is bound to become the best."

Of course, he didn't take the lengthy amount of time seriously, no one would have in his place. There were beings who could probably live that long, Luke had a suspicion that the legendary red dragon was one of them. The tales about it were many, most hinting at its existence despite how many human generations went by, and there had been way too many. The oldest records spoke about such creatures, and they were dated before time started being counted.

The great North walls of humanity's kingdom were the main proof that demons and the Dragon existed. Humans atop them could view with splendor the horrifying sight of red sand.

The best archers were developed in the northern lands, a consequence of fear that drove many to believe archery could one day fend off a Dragon.

A great amount of the priestess relics and salt were placed near the grand wall: both things helped push away the sandworms, which infested the ever-growing desert. An issue to humanity who needs the natural resources to propagate.

The boundless sea to the west was far too dangerous for humanity to develop means of transport to explore the rest of the world. The imminent danger was known to those who tried and passed the tales of such knowledge to those who lived near such waters. Yet, fishing was a remarkable way of getting food, it kept many mouths fed, and some were willing to afford its price.

As if things weren't bad enough, the mountains to the east contained creepy and hairy creatures, quite often hiding from the light, and living in the narrow caves. Uncanny dangers were not shown to many as such predators were filled with malice and hunger, often attacking when the opportunity struck.

The guard returned, leaving the door open without uttering a word - a test; But neither of them moved an inch, Luke had instructed Aurora to move only if he did, to do something only if he asked for it.

"His Highness awaits," the guard took an extra step to the side, not willing to allow their shadows to strike his own, especially the one of the young lady. Her blonde hair looked as if it would taint him, something he immediately didn't approve of but not bad enough for him to make a ruckus.

"Appreciated," Luke nodded slightly in his way before moving through the crack where a glimmer went through, pushing part of the darkness away. Aurora followed her father, one small step after the other, into the light.

They arrived at a room with, a red carpet, and a lustrous blue sword emblem sewn on it. The tale of the peasant hero reached even the royalty chambers. It showed how much significance the heroic deeds could have in a kingdom.

"Your humble servant lays before your highness as requested," promptly, Luke lowered himself, a delicate and educated bow, lacking not a hint of manners nor laziness.

Without uttering a word, Aurora followed in similar grace, her greeting was beyond refined, and flawless, causing a sparkle in the eyes of the three who rested on the other side of the table.

"You may rise your head, Luke the healer."

And he did, slowly to not overstep his highness boundary.

"So this is your daughter," he muttered softly taking some time to appreciate her beauty. "How old are you, Iris?"

"Fifteen, Your Highness," her words came slow, yet no hint of nervousness.

It pleased him enough to show a faint smile, for her head remained low as he had not requested her to lift it. Mannerism was on point, this lady had been taught well.

"I heard from a little bird you came uninvited," his words whipped the young woman as if they were made of steel and her back laid bare naked.

"You may answer his highness," an elderly voice followed from the royal man's side.

Tests after tests, an easy game for the likes of Aurora who spent her past life dreading dangerous paths.

"This humble serf wishes to prove herself to the crown Prince," her head went even lower, causing both legs to shake a bit, almost causing the entire body to fall from lack of balance.

"Luke, my sister awaits in the next room," his highness pointed a finger at the door on the other side.

"If you'll excuse me, your Highness," his feet moved swiftly, leaving his daughter alone in a den of tigers. There was no salvation for her now if she messed up. She'd only be able to blame herself if she came to bring shame to herself or even her family. As much gratitude as the crown Prince could have for Luke, the same didn't apply to his daughter who was a complete stranger.

The silent man picked the chess pieces, they looked like light and darkness being placed on a marble surface of black and white perfect squared shaped areas. An exquisite wood kept everything together, excellently sculpted lines spread to the sides and around the big board for all to see. An intricate and beautiful design as if clouds spread to the sides, squirming and stretching through the wooden sky. It was of a certain art, too high a standard for a mere commoner to appreciate.

"So you came to play chess with me."

"A commoner no less," the old man added, not in fury, but clearly he felt his student, the Prince himself wronged. What could an uneducated one possibly provide to one who owns royal blood, the goddess' blessing no less?

"Now, now. Take a seat, Iris."

That name caused Aurora to smile faintly, finding herself drowning in nostalgia. It hadn't been the first time someone wronged her name. It would be far from the last time.

As demanded by his highness, her body obeyed, his words carried weight and authority, which she couldn't defy.

There was nothing to gain from doing so and she knew it well.

Favour could easily befall her if she got along with the royal family and misfortune, too, could follow if she took the wrong step.

"At the very least 5 years to make this beautiful cloudy sky," her words echoed throughout the room causing the surrounding men to contemplate.

Surely, they knew the story of the wooden board, and what the sculpted lines entitled, however, they were bestowed with worthy teaching from a young age. It made sense for them to have heard of it at least once.

"To think Luke-" and then the Prince's voice halted. He remembered the few times the healer had come. Not once had he mentioned a word related to art. 'He didn't learn it,' his highness came to a swift yet conflicting conclusion. For a change in his life, something was out of place. His perfectionist personality was starting to make him feel a strange emerging mental pressure.

Gently, her hands turned the board around, "I like this color more." A very girlish thing to say, her finger caressed the pieces, one after another as if getting to know them, on a more intimate level.

"The white ones start first, holding the advantage," the old man stated, intending on clarifying the reason why the pieces had been set like that.

"I'll stick to these if that's okay," a shy smile, blushed cheeks, eyes dodging the ones from the male trio in front of her. Aurora's long hair hid her face to some extent, eyes of color too rare to willingly show. It could turn into a subject, however, that was not part of what she had come to do. Her intentions were meticulously planned with another goal in mind.

Prince Julius answered her petition by moving the rightest white pawn two squares to the front.

Thus, the first match began along with what could have been the revelation of the century to the peasant.

9