Chapter Eight
451 6 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As soon as we reached the margin of the river, I stopped at a spot with two identical boulders in front of me, almost as tall as me.

“Hum... why did you pick this spot, Iris?”

I grinned before explaining, feeling proud of this, and excited that she actually asked me, “it looks like the perfect place to put my rod in the middle of these stones, giving me some stability, as well as allowing it to fish in my stead.”

From my response, Rosaline realized how ingenious I was, ‘we were truly blessed with an amazing daughter. Ever since she’s started talking, her growth seems so fast-paced...’

I then woke my mother from the thought she was having “is everything okay? Was it a bad idea, after all?”

She swayed my negativity away with a wave of her hand, almost like she was driving off something annoying.

“Not at all, dear. On the contrary, it’s splendid!”

A joyful expression appeared on my face. I started helping my mother place the rod between the stones. Once we managed, Rosaline picked up the hook and intertwined it with a tight knot on the bamboo rod string. Afterward, she pulled the line closer to the water, wetting her feet on the margin, letting out a moan from its coldness, scaring me in the process who believed she harmed her feet.

“Are you okay!? Did you get hurt somewhere?”

She laughed at me, blushing awkwardly from her own reaction.

“It’s just the cold water baby...”

She smiled kindly while toughening it up at the low temperature around her feet, calming my heart.

“Is it that cold?”

Like a curious cat, I jumped inside the river, allowing the legs to be submerged all the way to the knees, instantly regretting my decision, feeling the chill, and letting out a little whine like a squished grape causing Rosaline to laugh at my childish behavior. Without waiting, I ran out of the water towards the dry section of the margin, allowing the sun to warm my legs for me.

“You’re such a scared kitten.”

Upon hearing those words, I smiled faintly, realizing how sincere my mother was. I then looked at her, who seemed like she had more to say.

“Come a little closer. It is time for you to learn how to hook a worm.”

I gulped from that declaration and then took a few steps closer, staying on the opposite side of her. Each parallelled to the identical large stones with the rod in the middle of them and us.

“Hold it from the top, carefully so you don’t pierce it in the finger.”

I picked it up with two fingers, the thumb, and the index. I tightened the grip with my left hand for it to not slip while my mother opened the worm’s container.

“Now choose the first sacrifice and pick it, then stab the maggot on the fishhook's sharp edge.”

Feeling incredulous, I looked at the interior of the box, noticing how many pink worms were squirming onto one another going in random directions. I could see one or two trying to climb out of it, and my mother would shake the recipient so they’d fall.

This scene reminded me of those times when I had no way out of the old mansion trying to escape, but like a caged bird, there was never a breach for me to fly away. For ten years, since my birth, to be exact, I learned how to be cold as ice. For self-protection, but also to endure, I grew cautious and suspicious of those who called themselves part of my family, including the diverse servants. They would find distinct ways to bring harm to this young, noble lady. At some point I had reached my limit, allowing for books to be the only important thing in my world. That was, till I got reincarnated, finding myself with loving parents who had actual expectations and amiable emotions towards me, their child. Not once had they yelled at me in a bad manner, much less mistreated me. Thanks to them, inside my heart, there was only gratitude and the will to reach out for their expectations to nurture this relationship, and to become the daughter of their dreams.

“I’ll do it!”

With a mix of impassiveness, boldness, and a firm will, my right hand moved toward the box, grabbing one of the rosy worms, lifting it from the container towards the fishing hook, and then with some carefulness, I attempted to pierce it, failing. After a few tries, as I fought my inner self, I finally impaled the maggot, causing a yellowish liquid mixed with a brown aspect to befall through the metal and a voice that accompanied me abruptly.

System: You have received the achievement, Animal Slayer.

Notice: You have received 1 disgrace from defeating a worm.

“Good job, honey. Now we can attempt the next step.”

My mother pointed towards the river two steps away from them, allowing me to let go of the hook she was holding, which made the string fall on the floor.

“Take a few steps to the side and watch how I do it. The future times it’ll be you, so pay close attention.”

To that, I consented with a gesture, and then Rosaline lifted the rod, waving it back then forth, allowing it to land a tad further from the margin.

“There! Just like your grandfather used to do!”

Rosaline shouted proudly of herself for the great throw while I clapped joyfully at my mother’s dexterity. But at that, a question soon popped out to me.

“Grandfather? Do I have one?”

She lowered her gaze and then, not feeling it to be proper, our eyes connected and her rosy lips jigged.

“Ah... not anymore. My dad and mother died from illness some time ago, an evil plague that even to these days consumes and haunts the lives of many. But he was a good fisherman.”

“Oh..." before allowing myself to be saddened by it, still sheltered from having killed the worm, I added up, "that throw was pretty amazing!”

Rosaline passed a finger on her nose with a cheeky expression, feeling flattered by me, cheering up too.

“It’ll be the future you, my cute little daughter!”

I grinned eagerly to reach that stage.

“I’ll do my best to throw the hook like that one day!”

We traded smiles and then Rosaline went to sit in the black cloth behind the stones while I remained looking at the river, waiting for something to happen.

At the water that was now tranquil, I saw my reflection and innocently approached my face towards it. I bit my bottom lip softly, feeling a rage inside due to the persistence of my parents in lying about my eyes color. I didn’t understand, as any lie was better than that one, and there was absolutely no need for them to do that. It aggravated my heart, but there was nothing I could do, as they always told me the same thing. ‘They’re green, Iris, green like the grass of the plains outside.’

“If you’d like, you can sit with me. If a fish bites, you’ll notice the rod being pulled.”

Mother’s words soothed me, and so I walked nearby with soft steps, towards the blonde woman who gestured me to approach her. Reminiscing quietly for a while, we looked at each other, and then I broke the silence.

“Hey mom, what class should I get and how do I check them?”

“If you focus on what you want, a screen should appear dear, and the one you choose will dictate your future, even though you can change them if you end up not liking it. Though it’s not advisable as you start from zero.”

“Is that so?” I gazed at my hands as if seeing my future resting on them.

‘I need to be careful about my choice.’

As soon as I reached a decision in my mind, I concentrated my hardest, causing a screen to pop up in front of me.

Class decided:

Current: <None>
List(+)

“A word called none appeared. What does that mean?”

Mother giggled.

“You sound like me when I was about your age.”

She allowed her head to fall slightly backward, causing her long hair to touch the black cloth.

“That’s normal, don’t worry. It basically means that for now, you don’t own one.”

“What do I do to change that?”

I tilted my head curiously, hoping to have one soon, like my parents, both for myself and also to reach their expectations.

“You’ll have to get some achievements, and depending on them, you will eventually get to unlock some of them.”

I muttered softly, having reached a wall.

“Is that so?”

Rosaline remained silent with that question as she understood it wasn't directed at her.

“I would like to grow stronger, perhaps use magic. It’s something that sounds nice!”

A curious hint eluded mother’s eyes as she questioned me.

“How come? I’m pretty sure you haven’t even tried magic, since it requires a lot of training.” 

With a shocked expression, I responded abruptly, “but I’ve used the two skills I have!”

Quickly, without giving me a chance to say anything, Rosaline shouted while she sat on her knees, grabbing my shoulders.

“What!? How would you already have two skills? That’s not possible!”

Despite her astonishment, I was being sincere therefore for once I didn’t back down, mainly from the frustration of being lied to, so I didn’t want to deceive either.

“I have two though, one that allows me to check a screen with lots of information called status, and another that lets me read books named system library!”

To that information, Rosaline opened her lips and then closed them, thinking for a while, remembering that I spoke a few times about acquiring knowledge through reading.

‘My daughter shouldn’t have more than the innate skill personal data which allows us to check minor information about ourselves. Yet not only does she have a different one, but she also has another that allows her to read books. I haven’t even heard of either... just how strange is that? Is it possible she could have leveled up? No, that couldn’t possibly be... but... ugh.’ 

I noticed her sigh, lowering her gaze, and then she raised her chin, fixing her shoulder posture, which lowered momentarily, staring back at me with a severe expression.

“Be honest with me, please. What level are you?”

Unsure and to avoid giving the wrong information, I checked it, mumbling lowly.

“Status skill open...”

Notice: System consumed 2 mana.

Status:
Level: 1 | Experience: 0/100

“It hasn’t changed since yesterday. I'm still level one with zero experience.”

I shrugged, unknowingly what level would have mattered in acquiring skills.

“What? Then how did you get that skill?”

I tried to remember its origin but to be fair, there had not been an actual source for it.

“To be honest, I’m not really sure. Perhaps they were born with me?”

I looked at her with innocent eyes, knowing that I had those skills for a long time, but that was it. Not to forget that I only got to know them properly quite recently. Towards my words, I could tell she had become extra confused.

My parents figured I was something special when I knew how to read, write, and even do simple math. It was something unusual, only possible with the blessing of the goddess, but for me to have both a good brain and two skills was something out of the ordinary.

There was no reason for a higher being to do that towards a random peasant like me, as she did not do to nobles either. In conclusion, she couldn’t figure out why I was like this. Without knowing what to say, my mother muttered lowly enough for me to not be able to hear.

“Could it possibly be because of her green eyes...?”

Suddenly, I got up and pointed toward the boulders, “mom, look! The rod!” I moved as fast as I could, grabbing it with both hands as she followed me.

Once we reached it, Rosaline stood close by but didn’t touch the tool, leaving it for me so I could grasp the sense of using it.

“Now you’ll need to pull and lift it upwards softly to tire the fish out, if a small one you can just raise the rod all the way.” 

I nodded, feeling the excitement running through my veins, a sort of adrenaline unknown to the old me.

“I’ll try to bring it higher. It doesn’t feel too strong of a pull, so it should be tiny.”

I replied, slightly unsure, placing a foot on the right stone and using some strength against it while attempting to extract the fish from the water.

“Pull, pull, almost there!” With the cheering and excitement from my mother who could see what was happening beyond the boulders as they were about my height, I enforced all my capabilities into removing the fish out of the water, which was doing its best, struggling to remain submerged as it didn’t want to leave its home.

“Ah! Go up!” I yelled, pulling the rod, gripping it tightly, all the way up, making it fully vertical while hearing a loud splash. We watched as the river creature floated towards us at a fast pace. And, unaware of the consequences, the fish flew against me, hitting my face, wetting it, then squirming a few times till it suffocated without oxygen.

"Ah..." I gasped softly as a voice resounded in my mind despite still being in shock from being slapped by a fish.

System: You have received the achievement, Beginner Fisherman.

Notice: You have received 1 disgrace from defeating a fish.

I passed my arm over my face, removing the wetness as the fish had become immobile. Then I faced her, who saw everything and was laughing at the situation, finding it extremely humorous. To that, I smiled faintly and then shifted my gaze toward the fish in front of me. From a joyful to an icy stare, and a low tone, peculiar words came out that made my mother place a hand softly on the top of my head, sliding it softly through the golden lines.

“Thank you for providing me with achievements. I’ll make sure to put you to good use, mister fish.”

A wide smile appeared on Rosaline’s face, whose eyes shone with an expectation to teach me a new art.

“Does that mean that my daughter wishes to learn how to cook?” 

I raised one of my hands in the air, cheering up at her magnificent proposal.

“Yes! I’d be extremely happy to learn more things!”

With a kind smile and similar tone, my mother added resolutely.

“Very well! You shall make marvelous meals for us.”

With those words, I clenched my fist, unsure how hard it would be, but nevertheless, I sought to do my best.

“Sure! Hopefully, I’ll get achievements from that too.”

She helped me remove the fish from the hook.

“You certainly will, even though it’ll take long till you actually complete any.”

I nodded in agreement, remembering how difficult it was to complete some of them.

“Yes, I noticed how big the requirements actually are.” 

I then noticed her pointing northwest.

“That is so Iris, also I’ll drop by the village to get your gift, be a good girl and wait for me to return, alright?”

With a casual nod and a big smile, I reassured her.

“Of course, mother! I’ll be careful.”

I placed the poor thing inside the empty basket.

“If you see any monster, you know what to do, right?”

She looked seriously at me, waiting for the usual answer.

“Yes! I’ll lock myself inside the house and wait for you to come back!”

A smile filled with satisfaction filled her expression as she moved away.

24