Chapter Thirty-Seven
271 5 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It didn't take long for me to return to the receptionist, even less to hear about the party reporting about the red slime. The quest I had among their own which was the same, ended up ranking up from the easiest tier F to one above, E. I ended up placing my hands inside my pockets, returning two pieces of paper that had practically the same information related to that mission. I had received one before and then another one after making the party. Of course, both were now outdated, for the danger had increased considerably for rookie adventurers and the helpers who joined low-tiered parties. It also reflected the reason why someone so easily met its end.

'It's impossible to prepare for every situation,' the time I spent as a helper gave me some knowledge and experience. Many were the times when someone ended up hurt or dying. The reason I persisted despite it all, was the willingness to help humanity reduce the number of enemies, and I could also come to earn a lot of money after ranking up some.

'If I get enough experience points...' each level-up indicated we would get one status point every time, therefore, the 10 initial points I was born with were quite the bonus. I'd need at least 10 more levels to get another decent dose of what I had. 

'Maybe with some levels, I'll unlock a rare class,' I thought to myself, hoping such to come true. 

'Other than my father's class...' it was then that without doing anything, a familiar yet strange message popped up. 

Notice: You've killed a chicken. You've gained 5 disgrace.

"What?" My mouth opened in disbelief, causing a few individuals to turn momentarily their attention to me.

I turned my back to such gazes, placing the soul stones on top of the reception along with the paper the receptionist had given me.

The man looked into it, adding with a serene, gentle expression, "your party also participated. Any injured?"

"None."

"Splendid," his fingers got hold of the soul stones, taking them to a nearby device that looked like a balance but far bigger. He rested the soul stones on top of it.

After a bit he returned with mana coins in his hand, "those two were level one."

"They were tough," I added with an honest face.

Notice: You've killed a fish. You've gained 1 disgrace.

"It'll be easier once your party gets more members. Teamwork does wonders."

At that, I smiled, reminded how everyone was so obsessed with doing the last kill to receive the experience necessary to level up. Like that group going as far as to hinder each other.

And to be fair, one level didn't seem game-changing. After all, it wasn't one point that could do the difference alone.

'At least five more levels for another freezing dose,' with my current mana, using my skill twice seemed to be my best. But that only worked on weak slimes and only in duels.

I took both coins with a total value of ten. The quest information had said two points for the adventurer card along with 5 per soul stone.

'It's certainly not much,' I complained in my mind, promising to myself to climb the ladder in hopes of better payments.

"See you tomorrow."

"Take care, miss."

I pondered what was going on with animals dying despite not doing anything to cause their deaths. 'Could it be?' Reminded of my twin and the way she had told me our souls had merged upon an ancient oath. If it meant Aurora was killing animals, then she was likely feeding my family. But what made me wonder the most was if she somehow killed a monster, could I obtain part of the experience? Or even... all of it? Certainly, a book wouldn't have the need to hog a value it didn't use. Sadly, I knew she had no combat capabilities, much less skills that could help her to solo anyone.

As I passed through the main avenue, my feet halted by a promise from younger but not forgotten times. A wish that had been struck within me for as long as I got to learn about the existence of this place.

With a slender touch, I pushed the door forward, allowing my thin self to go through the open pathway. Almost immediately, the scent prickled my nose in a happy manner. The library of my father's had been big, yet smaller than this one.

"Only with access," the elderly voice reached me from the side.

"Einstein," I added briefly, halting by him and his table.

I smirked at his words, while a young boy passed by my side leaving the library. Like me in the past, he, too, had been blocked.

The old man's eyes widened at my appearance, opening his mouth surprised, "Iris?"

I took my card out of the pocket, coveting his gaze to hover over it.

"You weren't lying."

"Took me a while longer than I hoped," compared to other helpers, I had a harder time due to lacking a class. But my father too had persisted to find a distinct class during his youth. Had taken him a few years to achieve it. He had since young heard stories of the almighty healers of the kingdom and wished to be just like one of them. And to me, that made me very proud of being his daughter.

"Access allowed," he gleamed happily with far more wrinkles than before. His eyebrows and hair were far whiter than what I remembered. My dad's friend Vincent was quite an old man, but this one seemed older. Below his nose there was no mustache or beard, it seemed that despite his age, he took care of himself to a certain extent.

"Thank you," I dashed toward the shelves which were filled with books, unable to hold the excitement within me. Happiness overflowed from my heart pouring to any who could feel it. However, to my surprise, there was no one else beyond the reception point.

I turned around, gazing at the old man who had likely followed my movement with his eyes.

As if reading my mind he declared unbothered, "very few spend their time amidst books."

"Why?"

"Not many learn how to read."

The information I had gathered from my system library skill was meant for my fellow humans, yet they didn't seem willing to acquire it. 

One's incompetence was reflected in the ineptitude to learn how to read and write. And this was likely thanks to the nobility and religion who kept the information off limits to most peasants. Thus, without the option to be taught, in order to become able to, they didn't even try to find any means to acquire such a precious ability. After all, it was still possible to earn money in many jobs that didn't involve such knowledge. Even adventurers were known to be the type to fight their way through and find out the dangers head-on.

'So disappointing,' I complained to myself unwilling to give it a rest. It pissed me off, but at the same time, it came as a lesson for some things regarding humanity as a whole. The way the members of the guild seemed to be selfish and act rashly without thinking twice during combat. This could very well be a consequence of never having used their brains to learn better tactics. Possibly the smartest ones ended up becoming the party leaders and getting things done differently. I just hoped for the kingdom army to not be as useless. 

This could also imply, that those who excelled were potentially the ones with a powerful class or ability that set them apart from the rest.

"What kind of books are there?"

"A bit of everything. Are you looking for anything in particular?"

I mumbled a sound giving it some thought, 'reading with a goal in mind could turn out to be helpful.'

I stole a quick glimpse at the nearest shelf, finding mostly brown covers, and pages very yellow.

"Are there books related to classes, and how to obtain them?"

"This library only contains certain information," he walked past me, getting hold of a big but thin book with a brown cover. 

I approached him, taking hold of the object as if it was very precious, a part of me even, "certain information?"

He coughed a few times while returning to his seat. "There are books that only people with certain degrees have access to."

"In this library?" I raised my left eyebrow hoping to take a peek at such secretive literature.

"Somewhere in the capital, perhaps deep inside the eight main churches, or within a secret chamber from the royal castle."

His smirk made me dubious, causing me to wonder if this information was real.

"How would you know that?"

"My grandfather was a scholar at the capital but even he only heard the rumors of their existence."

"I guess it wouldn't be strange for secret books to exist," but if they were real, then it was something worth searching for. Who knows what things could be hiding in them and what consequences such knowledge could bring? Perhaps a love story between a royal and a peasant, or something more eccentric and less on the spicy side.

I took the book with me and headed for one of the empty tables, taking a seat, opening the book, and checking its contents.

A basic guide to humanity classes.

Author: John XV

In accordance with the Pope's John XV request, the following information has been dictated as a means of instruction to future generations.

The goddess Aria, overseer of the realm of humanity, declared fame to be the reflection of her favor and humans' good deeds towards her cause. 

Imperative for her will to be followed, only then can humanity attain salvation, and find this world to prosper. To destroy those who oppose her.

The following classes are advisable as they are humanity's first step. The basic grade requires nothing out of the ordinary to obtain.

Swordsman, who controls the sword, shall protect his liege with swift and accurate motions. Only the noblest etiquette shall reflect the peerless mastery of swordsmanship.

'This is the list I can see for myself...' the disappointment caused me to flip the pages, one after another, passing through the contents that I had learned about.

'Natura...' as I read the last one of the basic grades from the screen I had invoked next to me, I checked if there was anything else of interest.

My eyes widened at the content which was related to something I didn't quite know.

There have been records throughout the centuries of humanity attempting a considerable amount of fame. In some cases, they were awarded with distinct classes. Some were even able to evolve their basic grade into rare. Fame is seen as a fragment of the soul and such may be a requirement for the growth of a human being.

'Nothing else... other than a ripped last page,' I sighed displeased as new information had been flowing inside my brain, interesting content at that, which had occupied my full concentration capacity.

'It took me a lot to gain access to this place,' my mind felt weary at the book's missing a portion. Who had taken it out? And why would they do that? Quickly, I pushed the open pages against my chest, and taking a deep breath. 

'Maybe I can find a complete copy!' I returned the book to the spot Einstein had removed it from. With careful steps and gestures, I looked from shelf after shelf, opening copies after copies.

"Damn it!" 13 books remained atop the table, all with the last page missing.

"How dare they do this?" I gripped my left hand willing to hit the table with all my strength, potentially hurting myself more than the wooden object.

"What's wrong Iris?"

With pleading eyes about to cry I looked at him, "after so much effort, I ended up finding ripped books!" I pointed a finger at what I meant causing him to check.

"The church censorship," his words were brief, implying who the culprit was.

"The what?" I landed the base of my knuckle on the table without strength, causing little to no sound to propagate. I ended up giving up on my wrath.

He took a seat by the table where I was previously, caressing each book before closing them. "I'm not confident about the details, not to forget that those who know things they shouldn't end up disappearing."

Hastily, I released my grip, looking around a tad paranoid.

"This kingdom religion has a great power. If it wasn't for the goddess wish, it may have very well been ruled by the Saintess."

"You mean Aria didn't want her to be a queen?"

"Exactly so. The task of the Saintess lies elsewhere."

"Where?"

"Per history books," he glanced at a certain shelf causing my gaze to follow. "She's the symbol of protection and peace."

He got up, picking a heavy-looking book with a green octagram on the cover, opening it and passing some pages, showing me that he knew this literature piece quite well. Perhaps his father, an academic, had made him learn it thoroughly.

His finger eventually halted in an image, causing me some surprise as I had never seen a picture inside a book in this world before. It looked exactly like the cover but with a description below.

"The eight main churches that surround the Lumen kingdom castle where the royal family resides."

"Did they make eight because of the symbol or is there a special reason?"

At my words he smiled briefly finding them entertaining.

"Every century there is a very unique event."

"Do you mean the hero summoning?" 

"Yes. It's a quite famous ceremony upheld by the Saintess herself."

"Will it be soon?"

He placed his hand below his head rubbing the chin, "should be..."

14