Chapter Fourty-Six
136 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A black-haired figure with chocolate eyes stands on a golden tribune, with a piece of velvet fabric on top of it, and above it a white book with a green octagram symbol. 

In front of him, hundreds of citizens await. From this higher place where he stands high and mighty, most peasants can be seen standing firm on their stretched and skinny legs, the nobility portion seated. Yet not a single rose can be found among them in the plateau. White walls with divine pictures of the goddess up in the ceiling with exotic angelic winged beings. Golden toned frames, beautifying further the divine intention of the artist. All of this painted with the most excellency touch. 

Below his strict and unapproachable gaze, he noticed two old men on the front row whispering with expectant eyes.

"Haven't seen the Pope behind a tribune for decades."

"A first for me. Think anything happened?" they look at the very tall and skinned man, finding his lengthy robe sheltering part of the tribune and his hat contributing to an even higher height, despite some of his escaping its confinement.

A soft breeze propagated through the glimmering white walls of the church, all the way outside through the gates thanks to the blessing of an artefact. It looked like a fan, black its base, and white the rest. An unusual tool, created by one of the ancient lunatics.

While it was useful since it allowed speeches to be heard from a bigger distance. It hadn't been an invention that people had taken seriously nor with significant interest. It consumed far too much mana, continuously at that, and could only be utilized by those who owned the wind element.

"Good morning my dearest followers," an ancient, rugged smile showed on his expression. "I am humbled to have all of your presences surrounding me. You're all a blessing, that warms my heart."

A woman in her forties wiped a tear from the corner of her dark brown eye.

"As you all know from our teachings, the time to summon the next hero is approaching."

The people's expressions widened, joyful smiles surged, hope within their hearts grew. The word hero implied more than just heroic tales with impossible feats. For humanity, they were the closest thing to the goddess, other than the Saintess, that is.

"While that is good news to us, it also means our enemies will likely start to move," his arm went high in the air, grabbing an empty area with a brave expression.

"We will continue to increase our divine army as we await a capable leader from our goddess' realm," his long and crippled thick index finger pointed upward.

"It was assured by his honorable majesty that the church would get to keep one of the two to three otherworldly beings," the ones summoned by the goddess Aria. Despite his elderly age, the agile way in which his arms widened, like wings clapping the magical breeze, a snapping sound rebounded surprising part of the audience.

The citizens started clapping, being jubilant of his speech.

"Long live the king!"

"May he forever reign!" The people wished for the best of their ruler because the pope thus incited such to be so.

"I, Pope Klaus, guarantee to all of our followers, that I and the Saintess are doing our best to recruit strong individuals." In a world were titles mean power and authority, the simple mention of them, is capable of turning tides, creating opportunities, and challenges to those around. Especially so, when it's the unique category, meaning that in Artana only one can exist at a time. Such is the importance of being these individuals.

"The stronger our army becomes the more followers we'll be able to save! Thus, we ask for your help." 

A fanatic within the spectators shouted, "I give my life for the church!"

A different woman proclaimed.

"For the goddess!"

The pope shouted happily to them, "we are truly honored for thy devotions!"

"As many of you know the funds, we use for the expeditions to the demon territory shall be halted."

Many followers started complaining despite not knowing there were no trips to the demonic realm because the almighty red dragon territory stands in the path.

"But the demons, they mustn't live! They taint out goddess just for existing in this world!"

"Yes, if it's about money I'll give everything I have, eradicate them!"

"They mustn't be allowed to enter the human territory!"

"There is only one human kingdom left! We're fewer and weaker, we must reduce them!"

With a glint in his eye, the pope regained the speech, "that is so my devoted followers, but you all are forgetting about something very important!"

The people went silent and heard, feeling curiously about his promised words.

"Yes, what is most important is not the purge of the demon race but the salvation of humanity, our race!"

The spectators were touched.

"Today I brought a person that I'd like all of you to hear."

As the woman walked to the tribune, light sparkled, and a warm aura spread from her.

Simply divine.

Almost as if the goddess herself had descended from the heavens tears and echoes filled the church almost shaking its walls and bringing the solid structure down.

The aura of Serenity filled the church and brought warmth to the devotees' hearts, bringing peace to their exalted demeanor.

Her soft yet clear voice echoed, "my dear citizens, it is of rare appearance that I stand here today."

"You all know I'm in favor of the eradication of other races, as I believe that they are the reason our goddess weeps."

Her face lowered, mimicking the cry of the almighty one, pulling emphasizing empathy to a whole new level.

"I am here to support the Pope in regard to protecting all of the citizens."

The light element started merging with the blue mana.

"I harbor ill intent towards those who threaten our lives."

The two auras fully merged causing a very warm energy around her, heating up the inside of the church.

"I promise to all of you, that I will protect those who seek to devote themselves to our goddess," her hands joined together as if clapping but without making a sound, looking like she was praying to the almighty one in that instant.

"As such, I'd like to ask all of you to treat everyone around as your equal."

She extended her hand to them, palm toward the ceiling.

"In the end, we're all humans!"

The crowd heard silent while being preached knowing fully that some circumstances were unchangeable.

"We do not need to resent other hair colors, we all owe that to each other's," discrimination was a grand problem in the Lumen kingdom. Sorrowfully, beyond her power to change it since the goddess had black hair like the night, and the humans from this kingdom adored her looks.

Her green vivid eyes looked from left to right before pointing forward.

"All of you owe that to yourselves too! So, take care of each other and those around you. We're a big family with the same purpose."

A soft clapping echoed in the church slowly propagating to an ovation. But deep down she knew it wouldn't amount to much.

A few hours later, "our presence sure increases the motivation of the followers to donate more."

"Sounds like you got enough funds for the following years."

"Yes Serenity. Thank you for that magnificent demonstration."

"Sure Klaus, as long as we survive what's to come. That much was nothing."

"Well, then we ought to repeat today's act through the leftover 7 churches around the capital."

She sighed without as much as a hint of hesitation, displeased, but knowing they would need a lot more money. For it was the currency that made the world turn.

The Pope laughed upon hearing her exasperation.

"Now, now. It is for a good cause. Plus, it'll incite strong people to join us. The bigger our influence the more benefits for the church."

"That's true," she couldn't find it in herself a way to deny his words.

"As the sole religion of this kingdom, even a lot of nobles donate a lot of money."

"In the pretext of the goddess Aria to reincarnate their souls," the Saintess added, causing him to laugh.

"Yes, even though she would do it, nonetheless. Religion truly is a good way to make money."

A cold gaze was expressed in her emeralds.

He coughed before speaking, aware that Serenity didn't take offenses to her goddess lightly, not even from someone of his grand position.

"Of course. All in the name of the goddess Aria. May she bless us in the future."

She followed his words with a light nod, not willing to cause a ruckus. 'This man sure is despicable,' her complaint danced on her mind, 'but at the same time, he knows his trade.' The pope had once been a merchant from a wealthy family.

She looked at his face, feigning a smile, hearing the whisper that left his dry and elderly lips, "soon the octagram meeting will happen." It composed of each leader of the capital church, the eight archbishops.

"I see," she replied short and coldly.

"I'd be happy to have the Saintess there."

"If I must."

Klaus grinned at her brief and familiar tone, reminding himself of her mother.

"Let us go, our followers await."

They walked outside the church through the back door escorted by a menacing group of paladins.

10