Chapter 26: The Mastermind
126 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Midoru inserted his pinky finger, inside his ear, moving it around and gazed at her, curiously. He might’ve misheard what his childhood friend had said to him.

“Can you repeat what you said earlier once again, Nana-chan?”

“Oh.” Nanase sat up and sheepishly looked at him straight in the eyes. “I said I like you.”

His eyes widened with shock at what he heard. It was definitely no mistake but something inside him wanted to make sure and asked her again. “You like me as in you like me, right?”

Nanase shook her head and wiped her eyes with a handkerchief. After a few seconds, she gazed at him, planting a playful look on her face. “As a friend, dummy.”

“Oh, so that’s what you meant.” Midoru said, chuckling. “I thought you like me for real though.”

He knew that wasn’t what she meant when she said those words. Her eyes were filled with tears as she looked down earlier. He also didn’t want to pry on that matter any longer as it might make her uncomfortable.

“Besides who would fall for an idiot like you? You’re lucky that Hagiwara-san accepted your confession. If she didn’t, I’ll make sure to beat the crap out of her and let her know what kind of a person you are.” Nanase stood up and stretched her arms upward. “I’ll be heading back to the committee now, see you around.”

The loud clashing of the door as it closed echoed throughout the area as Nanase left.

Midoru leaned his back against the wall and looked at the sky once again.

What should’ve I said earlier? I don’t know what to do after Nana-chan confessed to me. Should I have accepted her confession and went along with it? But what about Hagiwara-san?

He stood up and dusted himself before leaving the rooftop.

I’ll talk to Nana-chan once again and give her my response.

_

Later that same day in the photography club

Homura took a long gulp of her tea and placed it on the table. She then cleared her throat and looked at the two boys across from where she was sitting.

“You met Nanase Ogata on XX/XX/XXXX, right? What were you talking about that time?”

“She approached us and wanted to verify something about our president, Toshiie.” The brunette boy explained. “So, I asked her, what would you like to know? And she asked something about what was Toshiie with his camera outside and why was he hiding in one of the bushes near the window of the women’s locker room.”

“Hey, you can’t say that to her.” The black haired boy whispered to the brunette. “You’ll just make our president look even more bad.”

“She’s the vice president, you know I cant lie to her.”

“So, what? Just make up a story and if Toshiie hears about this, we will be in trouble.” scolded the black haired boy, his low tone of voice was rising as he spoke.

“How can our president hear this when he’s suspended?” chided the brunette.

Homura raised an eyebrow at what the two boys were doing as they looked daggers at each other and interjected on their conversation. “Care to share on what you two are talking about?”

Both of them stopped abruptly and looked at the vice president with chagrined faces.

“It’s nothing important, fuku-kaichou.” The black haired boy said while scratching his head.

“Really?” Homura brushed strands of her long black hair away from her face. She looked at the brunette with cold, piercing eyes. “Continue on your story.”

The brunette swallowed hard, loosening the necktie along his neck and cleared his throat. “I told her that he’s secretly taking pictures of the swim team and volleyball team during their changing of uniforms.”

“I see” She nodded and switched her gaze to the black haired boy. “Anything else that you could share?”

“Uhh, n-no. Rui p-p-pretty much said the whole thing.”

“Are you sure?” Homura asked, her tone seemed to have focused on the word sure stressing it out.

“Y-y-yes.”

“Okay, if that’s all.”

The tension inside the photography club was so high that you could cut it with a knife and the atmosphere was getting heavy as well, to the point that it was suffocating.

 “Alright, alright. There’s more to that.” Rui chimed in. He couldn’t take the pressure that he was getting from the vice president. 

How can she exert so much force with just a few words?

The brunette glanced at the black haired boy and went back to the vice president. “I’ll tell you what Koji doesn’t want to say, fuku-kaichou.”

“Rui, you can’t.” The black haired boy named Koji pleaded in a low voice as he looked at his friend with frightened eyes. “We’ll be done for.”

Although, it was inaudible, Homura had a curious look on her face as she caught wind of the words, we’ll be done for.

Are they being threatened by an unseen force or we’re they simply saving their necks by not talking?

“You can tell me everything and I’ll assure that you wont get hurt by whoever is threatening you.”

_

Homura walked along the hallway, her gaze was distant and what she learned from the two photography club members really troubled her.

Apparently, Nanase Ogata threatened to ruin their reputation the school if they talked about what occurred between their meet up. She also gave them a fellatio as payment for both of their cooperation with helping her know more about Toshiie Shinozaki.

Such behavior is immoral and disgusting as the school is place to learn and gain knowledge. If they were to do perverted acts like that, they should be doing it in a love hotel or inside their home.

The vice president arrived in front of the committee office. Before leaving the photography club, she received a text that Nanase has returned.

Homura was going to ask her why she suddenly added two members when they were not even a part of the committee itself and why was she not informed about it.

“Haah.” She sighed and grabbed a hold of the door knob, twisting it clockwise.

The door creaked loudly as it opened and the black haired vice president came inside, closing the door behind her.

Clattering keyboards and loud voices.

These were the sounds that filled the air inside the committee office. Coupled with the loud screeching grunts that came from an old xerox machine. It was just like home for Homura Murasaki and she liked what she was seeing.

She traversed the white tiled path, looking around for Nanase Ogata.

After a good ten minutes of walking, she found her in front of the water cooler, taking a quick hydration break.

“Nanase.” Homura called out the brunette girl’s name as she approached her.

“Yes, fuku-kaichou?” Nanase asked, turning to face the vice president. “How may I help you?”

“I heard that you added two assets to the sting operation. Why did you do that?”

“Oh.” Nanase crossed her arms below her chest. “With regards to that, I noticed that we were short staffed while preparing and they decided to volunteer. So, I agreed.”

“I also heard that you approached kaichou about this? Why didn’t you ask me about it?”

“I thought you were super busy and it would just add to your workload. Plus, she said that it was fine and to tell you that she was the one who agreed to it.”

“Next time, head over to my office for urgent matters like that, okay?”

“I understand.”

After that, Nanase went back to her cubicle desk to finish her own set of workload.

Meanwhile, Homura left the committee office and headed back to Internal Affairs. It was no use on dragging the conversation about the sudden changes to the operation. She was also going to scold her but since Nanase received a green light from the student council president herself, opposing her decision would be like talking to a tree and she knows that Misaki wont change her decision no matter what.

_

Later that night

Midoru arrived in front of Nanase Ogata’s house. He was still troubled with what his childhood friend confessed to him.

I like you.

The words still sound fresh and echoed through his mind. On his after school date with Hagiwara earlier that afternoon. He cant seem to focus on what his girlfriend was saying and his mind is also wondered.

He was determined to resolve this tonight by giving his answer to her.

The door slowly creaked open as Midoru went inside. A few pairs of shoes were neatly arranged in the foyer and her bag hung on top the coat rack.

He closed the door before removing his shoes and walked along the hallway. The silent and dark living room greeted him as he walked past by.

Midoru looked around every room, searching for his childhood friend but found no one inside.

A loud creaking sound was heard for a few seconds followed by a thud.

He went to the staircase and saw that the light on her room was open.

It was now or never.

He went upstairs and reached the door within a minute.

He was thinking of what to say to her once he opens the door but he couldn’t come up with anything.

“Alright, here it goes.” Midoru muttered under his breath and opened the door.

What came next was the biggest shock of his life.

On the computer screen, it displayed multiple edited pictures of Hagiwara and other first year high school students. The mouse pointer was hovered over to the delete function.

There was also a familiar looking mask that was on top of the computer table. He walked towards it, picking it up and examining it thoroughly.

It was the same hannya mask that the hooded figure wore as there were no other masks like these with a built in voice changer function.

How does she have all of these things? Was she the real mastermind behind the distribution of the erotic magazines?

The door opened and he turned around to see Nanase in front of him, clad in a white short sleeve shirt which was tucked inside her black denim shorts.

Both of them had a surprised look on their faces upon encountering each other.

“You’re the hooded person who sells the magazines, Nana-chan?”

1