Chapter 2
72 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The siblings entered the café and sat on an empty booth. They sat opposite each other as they continued their fun conversation with Nulla continuing her hand signals while Ligaya laughed and giggled. A waitress headed to their table with a gentle smile and a large platter with two glasses of water and two handheld screens. She handed the two the devices and settled the glasses down to the table before she made herself scarce to allow her customers to order in peace.

The screens featured the store's products. Nulla tapped on the picture of black coffee and dark chocolate cookies before setting it aside. Ligaya on the other hand, placed a finger on her chin as she contemplates her order.

The two spent five minutes quietly until Ligaya let the screen down and laid her head on the table with outstretched arms.

"Ugh. . . I don't know what to choose! Strawberry parfait and velvet cake, or strawberry milk tea and cherry-coated donuts!" Ligaya complained.

Nulla chuckled lightly before patting her sister's arm to catch her attention. Ligaya rolled her head to the side to look at her older sibling.

|Why not order both? I owe you after what happened earlier|

Ligaya's eyes lit up upon learning her sister's suggestion. She sat up, immediately picked out her orders, and diligently stacked her device on top of her sister's. Seeing Nulla's supportive smile, her eyes formed a crescent moon with her smile close to reaching her ears.

"Hehe, my Ate so nice~ You should cheat during our games all the time."

|You'll lose every single time if I do that|

"Doesn't matter, I can have all the food I want and you get to pay for it! Hehe."

|I can just buy you all the food you want regardless of the games|

Ligaya leaned forward, placing her elbow on the table with her hand supporting her chin, "I know but I kinda want to earn it for myself. I was told you're spoiling me too much." She argued, tapping on her phone as it rests on the table.

Nulla felt a tick inside her, annoyed at the person who dared to reprimand her sister. Despite her irritation, she did not let her sister notice her feelings.

|Spoiled? Since when did I spoil you?|

"Exactly what I said!" Ligaya slightly raised her voice, causing some of the other customers to turn in their direction, which Ligaya ignored, "I told them that my Ate doesn't spoil me and she's always so busy and we rarely see each other, but they still wouldn't believe me." Ligaya's voice got softer, almost complaining, as she reached the end of her sentence. A pout formed a little on her sister's lips as she resumed fiddling the screen of her phone.

Nulla could feel her shoulders slacken a little as she was faced by the adorable temperament Ligaya was showing her.

'How adorable'

She thought as another warm smile formed on her lips. She extended her hand beside Ligaya's phone to make her look at her.

|I'm sorry, I'll make more time, I promise. Do you want me to spoil you? I think I can take the week off from the office|

"That's what you say but you'll still leave once work calls you up, humph."

Her sister's pout became more prominent and her finger's started to tap on her phone with more vigor. Nulla knew Ligaya was still having grudges of their interrupted movie night a week ago. Unfortunately, before she could proceed and console her sister, four strangers walked up to them.

The woman, seeming to be in her early twenties and had long black hair braided to the side, headed for Ligaya.

Nulla, being protective of her only sister, had started to manipulate the air surrounding herself, ready to impale the entire store for her sister's safety. Despite sensing no hostility, she didn't dare let her guard down. She knew all too well how deceptive humans can be.

Ligaya noticed the change in the atmosphere that she looked up at her sister, confused. Just as she was about to ask her sister what was wrong, she felt something grab her shoulder. Ligaya flinched at the unknown feeling, almost jumping out of her chair as she looked back at the source of her uncomfortable feeling.

"Ligaya, right?"

The woman asked with her entourage close behind her. Numerous questions flashed through Ligaya's mind and her questioning look was closely observed by her older sister. If Ligaya didn't know them, she had no qualms about kicking the group to the curb.

Fortunately for them, Ligaya recognized them, or rather the woman.

"Ahh! Jessica! Hi! Didn't think I'd run into you in here."

Seeing that her sister not only knew them but had also relaxed, she let the air go. She wasn't dependent on them after all.

"I know right?! Who would've thought? It's been like what, three, four years?"

"Hehe"

"Anyway, who's the girl? Is she your girlfriend?" Jessica teased as she motioned to Nulla, clearly checking her out in the off chance that she wasn't. It's not like she didn't think Ligaya could get herself one, it was just unlikely.

Seeing her refer to her sister, Ligaya gave a slightly awkward smile as she presented her sister with an arm, which Nulla took as her cue to stand up and introduce herself.

"Ahh right, I forgot to introduce you. She's my Ate."

|It's a pleasure to meet you. My name is Nulla.|

Nulla communicated through sign language before she extended her hand for a handshake.

"Ahh. . . You're sisters alright." Jessica received Nulla's hand and shook it, feeling the latter's firm grip which caused the corners of her mouth to rise, "Is this the sister you mentioned before?"

Nulla looked at her sister as she removed her hand from Jessica's and asked.

|You told them about me before?|

"Ahh yeah, there was that incident before where they thought I had a boyfriend because I was always on my phone happily. So I told them I didn't and that I was only texting with you."

Ligaya sheepishly answered. It wasn't that she was afraid her sister would be mad at her, it was just an embarrassing memory.

"It caused quite a huge uproar in the whole grade."

|You're classmates with Laya?|

Jessica paused and looked at Ligaya, hinting for a translation, which the latter happily answered for her.

"We were on the same grade in Senior High Ate, and there was no uproar, don't listen to her."

"What no uproar?! Once the class knew that you were single, it spread throughout the school like wildfire! Almost every single guy and girl in school asked her out. The only peace their class had was whenever a teacher was present. It was quite something."

As Jessica told the story, the more Ligaya's face turned red. Nulla wasn't present in the earlier part of Ligaya's life and only knew superficial events, so when Jessica shared this bit about her beloved sister, she appraised this stranger a little better.

Just her though.

"You even rejected me remember? I was so heartbroken at the time, I mean, I thought you liked me back?" The man behind Jessica chided, stepping forward to join the conversation.

'Did he court my sister?'

At this time, the atmosphere had clearly changed. The air surrounding them became a little cooler as Nulla eyed the man, wanting to crush him up to a ball and toss him in the trash - where she believed he belongs.

The group aside from Ligaya could feel the change. They looked around at where it came from and Jessica was the first one to notice its source.

Jessica could feel her sweat running down her back and gulp. Being awakened herself, she could sense a little of these abstract changes despite not being that proficient. She knew her friend had messed up by bringing up his confession.
Crap, I should've known she'd be very protective of her sister.

Jessica's brain turned into overdrive, trying to find a way to pacify the situation without worsening Nulla's mood.

As if the gods had heard her prayers, a stranger's voice broke the tense atmosphere.

"Umm. . Excuse me, your orders are here."

The group turned to the waitress who had served the siblings earlier. She had the same warm smile and platter on her hands. It housed Nulla's and Ligaya's orders which gave Ligaya a reason to shift her attention and brighten her mood.

Nulla relaxed the tension she created upon seeing Ligaya's reaction. Nulla smiled at the waitress and motioned to their table, allowing her to serve them.

Jessica sighed a breath of relief as she internally thanked the waitress for saving their asses.
Heavens bless you, Miss. I swear I'll be your loyal patron from now on!

"Well, we'll let you enjoy your meals. We have to go anyways, bye Ligaya!" Jessica immediately said as she covered the man's mouth, pushing him with the rest of her group out of the café, ignoring his confused pleas.

"Bye!" Ligaya responded with a wave of her hand before looking back at the dishes being served in front of her. Nulla could see the drool in her sister's eyes which made Nulla's heart warm. As the waitress picked up the screens, Nulla pulled out her wallet and handed her a large bill.

The waitress's eyes widened upon seeing the bill, causing her to drop the devices and vehemently refuse Nulla's offer.

"W-wait! Th-that's too huge for a tipping customer! It's alright!"

The little sister was looking at the food enthusiastically when she noticed the waitress's curious behavior.

Unfortunately, Nulla wouldn't take no for an answer. She simply took the waitress's hand and stuffed the money in her hand and waved her away.

Ligaya was watching the entire exchange and felt some pity towards the waitress. She knew her sister could be overbearing sometimes and dislikes being rejected. If the waitress continued her act, she'll instead annoy her sister, a side which she would rather not see - not that she has.

"Just take it, Miss. It's our thanks since you're a nice waitress!" Ligaya assured her with a comforting smile.

The waitress wanted to protest even more but Nulla wasn't looking at her anymore and was already enjoying the black coffee. She glanced at Ligaya, then to Nulla, before looking back at the smiling Ligaya. Understanding that she didn't have any other choice, she bowed timidly and murmured a 'Thank you, dear customer.' Before leaving, not forgetting the devices on the floor.

After the waitress had finally left, Ligaya joyfully ate her meal, a scene which Nulla happily observed. Ligaya's eye twinkled on every bite of her dessert or sip of her drinks. She would moan or groan happily as she thoroughly enjoyed her meal. After a few minutes of eating, Ligaya finally looked at her older sister who was silently sipping her coffee.

She stared at her for a while, observing her quiet figure while elegantly sipping her coffee. Nulla had felt her sister's gaze, seeming to eye the coffee she was drinking, but she knew better. Placing her cup gently on its saucer, she pushed her dessert closer to her sister with a smile. Ligaya coyly smiled as she picked a cookie, taking a bite.

|Is it good?|

"So good!" Ligaya praised as she finished her first cookie, ready to take another one, "Speaking of deserts, a senior in the company interviewed Seeker Alison - you know? The rising star in the Seeker bracket. Anyway, it was this café, 'Kape ni Mama', and she said that they serve the best cheesecakes. But after the interview, it became so popular that it started taking reservations so she never got to visit again. So can we make a reservation in that café?" Ligaya asked, sipping from her milk tea while looking at her sister, "I wanted to do something for her since she took care of my slip-up two weeks ago. Please Ate?"

|Of course, I'll see what I can do, but what slip-up are you talking about?|

"Ahh, I never mentioned it didn't I?" Ligaya stood from her seat, pushing her food towards her sister before taking the empty seat beside Nulla, "You remember the one I was talking about earlier? The second awakened pre-exam in the Drawish Institute? I helped cover the event and there was this one awakened, this guy. He rose from being a Sweeper to a Two-Star Explorer since his examination last December so he was considered to be another 'rising star'. And well, he kind of kept bugging me and asking me to give him my number because he said he had always had a crush on me. Apparently, we went to the same school in senior high so yeah. And Ate Gabby helped me get away from him." While explaining, she was showing her sister pictures of the said Explorer and some of hers and her co-workers during the event.

|I see. Do you know his name?|

"Lance Javier. He said he was some bigshot and that he was going to be part of some big guild after the exam. I haven't heard any news about him since but there have been some rumors that Waray and Hiligaynon guilds have reached out to him." Ligaya took another cookie and took a bite, enjoying its bitter flavors that contrastingly complimented her sweet beverages.

Nulla took a sip of her coffee, seeming to ponder about something but was calculating on how to teach the man a lesson for bothering her sister, then she remembered what her precious sister had mentioned.

|So why the slip-up?|

"Because I'm a journalist and a citizen while he's an awakened and apparently, now a celebrity. I should've humbled myself and gave in to his demands instead of prioritizing my pride, plus, it was just my number. I can just ignore him or change it. But, what if he comes after the magazine because of me? Or worse, my seniors? Thankfully, nothing happened thus far this past two weeks but what about the future? Once he's entered the bigshot guild he mentioned? So, that's why I wanted to do something for Ate Gabby while I still can. Who knows what will happen in the future. . ."

Ligaya looked down at her food, poking her cake with the fork with a downcast look plastered on her face.

Nulla paused, stunned for that matter as she heard Ligaya's reason why she considered the incident a slip-up. This time Nulla seethed in rage, deforming the farther edge of the table with her free hand in an instant, but there was no way she'd let her sister notice anything, not even a hint of it. She slowly placed her cup back on the table and wrapped her hand around her sister's shoulder, bringing her to a hug.

Ligaya was shocked at what had just happened but did not object. She liked it whenever her sister hugged her after all. She silently observed Nulla pull out her phone from her pocket with her free hand and started typing using one thumb and showed it to Ligaya once she was done.

[You didn't do anything wrong and it wasn't a slip-up. If some guy or anyone bothers you or forces you to do something you're uncomfortable with, you don't have to give in to them. Regardless of who they are, even if they're me. You tell them no and be firm about it, no matter what happens. If they continue bothering you, then come and tell me. I'll protect you. You understand me?]

Nulla looked down at Ligaya as she read her message, she hand firmly around her sister, wanting her sister to know that she was always there to protect her no matter what happened. After reading, Ligaya raised her head and looked back at her sister. Her eyes were wet but tears didn't fall. She simply sat there and looked at her older sister, nodded, and smiled the brightest smile she's done the entire day.

"Thank you, Ate."

 

 

Heyy, so there may be a lot of info dump in this chapter and I hope it doesn't feel that way. . . I wanted to show how precious Ligaya is for a college girl so I hope it does hahaha. I also wanted to hint around on the lore of the story that's why Ligaya's conversation's a little long. . . Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the chapter!

Thank you so much for reading!

Don't forget to check out my website nihilumcreations.wordpress.com where I mainly post my stuff.

Spoiler

Entry #2. . . still no idea what day it is today

 

A little over a week has passed after killing that kid and I really couldn't kill anymore until I knew how to do it properly. So, I spent the week going around the slums, especially at night, and look for adults who are going at it. This is the slums, dying screams are practically our wake-up call.

 

Although dead bodies are a common sight, the actual killing really isn't. Observing these grown-ups killing someone else was really something. Some struggled and put up a fight, while others were practically a one-sided slaughter. I guess strength really does play a huge part when killing other people. Not to mention that these murderers hate it when other people look while they kill. You have no idea how many times I've run, hid, and almost died just to see how they kill. Those kids better die better after all this shit I've been through. . .

 

While I was lying back in the sewers since it's practically the only place that's safe from all the monsters outside. I'm most likely going crazy thinking that this place is better than the outside. . . Anyways, while I was recovering from another session of running for my life to avoid being beaten to death again, I thought about everything I've seen so far.

 

Adults scream a lot. . . Like, A LOT. If it's like that, then kids aren't most likely any better. The only times they stopped screaming was when the killers either covered their mouth, held their neck tightly, or going straight to the gut with a punch. I didn't really get the last one, I mean, sharp objects are obviously better than punches so why did my kid scream from being stabbed but the guy who got punched in the gut just curled on the ground coughing.

 

Maybe adults are different than kids? I need to know what's the difference.

 

Since looking at adults killing other people is basically suicide and useless because the ones I want to kill are kids and not adults, I guess I have to figure stuff out on my own.

[collapse]

3