Chapter 10
61 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hahahahaha”, a happy coachman reining his horses heartily laugh at the world. “What you said was correct, young man”, he patted me in the back, “My son truly turn great.”

 

A grumpy voice can be heard inside the carriage, “Urgh. Can you stop, dad? You’re embarrassing me.”

 

“Hahahaha”, the coachman laugh even harder, “How would I know that my son would one day get accepted into Zephyros Royal Academy.” He said, proud of his son. “It’s all thanks to you, young man.” He looks at me. “You said my son will become great.” He laughs heartily once more.

 

Yup, this is the same coachman that complains about his son. I only said that casually, but who knew his son would get accepted into Zephyros Royal Academy so soon.

 

The coachman son sigh, “Sorry about my old man; he’s always like this.”

 

“It’s alright. It is a parent privilege to be proud of their own son.” I nonchalantly said while looking at the sky. “I’m Eru, by the way. What’s your name?”

 

“I’m Jimmy.”

 

“Jimmy, huh? Good luck studying. The academy is famous for making people running haggard.”

 

“Sounds like you knew a thing or two about the academy.” Jimmy scrutinise. He squinted his eyes while looking at me.

 

“I did. Both my brother and sister were their alumni.”

 

I left the shocked Jimmy alone as I continue to look at the big vast sky.

My trip second trip to Boreas City, because a certain someone forgot to bring me back, was filled with the hearty laughter of the coachman. Looking at the bright sight, I get to ask for more pocket money from my parents.

 

Arriving there, I said goodbye to the coachman before promptly heading to the Adventurers Guild. Opening the familiar door, I saw Yuya in his usual spot, talking to a lady.

 

“Thank you very much.” The lady bowed before leaving. “You’re very welcome, Madam,” Yuya replied with his usual professional voice.

 

He turns his head to me, smiling like usual “How may I help you?” before changing his tone as soon as he recognises who I am. “You”

 

“Hello, Mr Yuya. I’m sorry about bailing out after the tests suddenly, but I’m afraid it was something beyond my control.”

 

“Sigh, it’s alright. It’s that bastard’s fault for dragging you into his business.” He massaged his head.

 

“How is Mr Barlog anyway?”

 

“I haven’t come back. I don’t want to talk about him anyway.” Yuya said, rage building in his eyes.

 

“Riight. How was my result?”

 

“You passed.” He goes through the drawer below the receptionist desk. “Here you go. Your guild emblem” he handed me a round bronze emblem with the Adventurers Guild signature insignia. “Congratulations for becoming an Apprentice Adventurer.” Yuya added, “To become a fully-fledged Adventurer, you need recommendations from 5 different guild branch apart from the one you registered from.”

 

“This I knew; my dad told me about it.”

 

Yuya nod. “Good. What’s your do you want to do next, kid…” before Yuya managed to finish, a person barged in, looking haggard, “Bad news Yuya. The mayor’s son has been kidnapped.”

 

“WHAT? Someone dared to kidnap the mayor’s son?”

 

“Yeah.” The man collected his breath, “I happened to be in the area. Seeing me, the mayor immediately told me to rush here. He wants your help.”

 

“What about the police?”

 

“They’re on it too. But the mayor doesn’t trust the police. You know what happened a few years ago.”

 

“Fine. Take care of the guild, will you?” Yuya said, promptly leaving the guild. “Take care”, the man wished Yuya good luck before walking behind the counter.

 

“Does this happens often? Mr Yuya get requested?” I asked the man. “Yup.” He casually answers, “Yuya is the most dependable adventurer in the city. He’s almost a super-human.”

 

“Oh, then who are you?”

 

“Me? I’m the Adventurers Guild accountant, Hogan; nice to meet you.” Hogan said, flashing his white teeth at me.

“Oh, I’m Eru, a new Apprentice Adventurer.”

 

“Hoo, an apprentice, huh.” Hogan stroke his chin, “So, what’s your plan for now? If I remember it right, to be recognised as a full-fledged Adventurer, you need 5 signatures from different guild branches. Any plans yet?” he said, seemingly hinting at something.

 

“Not yet. If I wanted to go to the capital, what’s the best route there?”

 

“Wise.” Hogan nodded, “From Boreas, go east to Aeolus, and from there, you need to pass 3 cities to get to the capital. Finally, you can get your final signature from the guild branch at the capital.” Hogan explained, leaning back on the receptionist chair.

 

“Thanks, Mr Hogan. Anything I should look out for?”

 

“Hmm,” Hogan pondered, “Maybe you should get into a party of three as the road can be a bit dangerous. If only they finished building the railroad. Maybe we should make a rule where apprentices cannot get into the train or something.” He continues to mumble to himself.

 

Since I didn’t want to disturb him longer, I left quietly. Then I decide to visit Bob and Bailey’s inn. They welcomed me warmly then we had lunch together. Seeing the sun has set, they offered me a room free of charge, but I paid them anyways as it weighs on my conscience otherwise.

 

I woke up early morning. After enjoying breakfast with Bob and Bailey, I said goodbye to them. Outside their inn, however, I meet with Yuya.

 

“Good morning Mr Yuya” I greeted Yuya while sipping on a box of ice tea Bob gave me. “Morning. You haven’t left yet?” Yuya asked before realising something, “Oh right, the mayor issue a city-wide lockdown. No one can go in or out of the city for the time being.”

 

“The mayor issued what?” My eyes almost bulged out my socket.

 

“The mayor’s son was kidnapped, remember? If I don’t find him soon, the lockdown will continue for a while.”

 

*DING*

“Available quest; Help Yuya finds the mayor son. The mayor is saddened due to the kidnapping of his son. Help Yuya finds the mayor son so the mayor will lift the lockdown. Quest reward; 40 Fate Points, Quest penalty; become paralysed for one whole day.”

 

“If nothing else, I’ve got to go.”

 

“Wait.” I stopped Yuya in his tracks, “Can I help you?”

4