Chapter 14
60 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Welcome to the trial ground, Fate Master.” A familiar mechanical voice greeted me, “System, your relatives?” I inwardly ask. “No, that is the consciousness that inhabits the trail ground.” The system explains.

 

Davida and the others were dumbfounded. They had tried all sort of methods they can think about, alas, the gate stubbornly shut. Yet, a person who’s not part of their team, who coincidentally drifted from the nearby river, can open the gate by just putting his palm on it.

 

“Would you like to enter the trial ground, Fate Master?” the gate AI asks. I looked down on my wounds and shook my head, “No, not yet. I’m still injured.” The gate gem glowed once again, “Very well. I’ll await the day when you enter the trial ground, Fate Master. Just summon me once you’re ready,” then the gate slowly closes.

 

I turned back; I found three people with their jaw dropped, flabbergasted. It’s pretty funny, actually. I contemplate sharing this with Davida and Co, but the system stopped me. More like, sternly warned me, it told me that if I had to tell anyone, it would be someone I could wholeheartedly trust. “So….” I scratched the back of my head, “I don’t know anything.” I played dumb; in the end, I agree with the system.

 

“You!” Davida rushes at me and throws me a bunch of questions. She turned completely different from her usual self. I awkwardly answer her question. My eyes darted into Duncan and Diane. They averted their eyes for me while their shoulder trembles and their mouth curled up slightly. Bastards.

 

===

 

“I’m sorry. I don’t know what came of me; I’m really sorry.” Back to her old self, Davida bowed repeatedly while having a slight blush on her face. “It’s alright.” I scratched my cheek.

 

Duncan giggled, “So let me get this straight; you managed to open the door but seeing you’re still injured, the door closes itself?”

 

“Pretty much, yeah.” I nodded while Davida, Duncan and Diane contemplated something. They glance at each other before nodding all at the same time. “Um, Eru. Would you be willing to open the gate for us? We’ll repay the favour, we promise.” Davida asks, twirling her hair around.

 

“Hmm,” I smell an opportunity. Since that Rock Serpent is currently too strong for me to face alone, maybe I can get Davida and her party to help me; they looked pretty strong. “I don’t mind, as long as you all helped me deal with the Rock Serpent, I’m down.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

“But…”

 

“But?”

 

“I’m still injured.”

 

“We’ve got a solution for that. But promised me you’ll keep this a secret.”

 

“I promise.”

 

“Good,” Davida looked at Diane, “Diane, if you please.” Diane walked towards me, placing her palms in front of me before chanting. A bright light appears in her palms, and I realise my wounds are beginning to heal. “Healing magic? That’s rare,” I raise my eyebrows, looking at Diane in front of me, “You’re a Vaizeu’s priestess?”

 

Diane smiles gently, “Excommunicated, actually.” She let go of her hands, “I’m done.” I tried moving my body, “Thanks. Feels good as new.” Diane just waved her hand, “No worries, that’s what friends are for, right?”

 

When did we become friends? I’ll take it, becoming friends with a curvy, beautiful blond elf who can heal, man, who wouldn’t. “Right,” I gave her a thumbs up. I walked near the gate, psyching myself up, “Right, let’s do this.”

 

I touch the gate, and the familiar voice assaulted me again, “Welcome to the Trials Ground, Fate Master. Do you want to enter now?”

 

“Yes, please.”

 

“And those three behind you, are they your trusted companions or just your companions?”

 

What a strange question to ask, “Just my companions.”

 

“Affirmative, opening gate.”

 

“Let’s go.” I stretched out my hand at Davida.

 

===

 

“So this is what it’s like inside the gate. Is this what’s behind the rock, or is this another dimension? If so, how did it do this?” Davida mumbles to herself. Her curious mode is activated, it seemed.

 

“Welcome, travellers. This is the Trials Ground. The Trials Ground is designed to help and grow the fated one through testing their might, knowledge and mettle.” The familiar robotic voice echoed through the white room. The room itself is reminiscent of when I stared into a black hole.

 

Astonished, Davida’s eyes shot open as she’s trying to figure out where the voice came from. Duncan and Diane can only smile wryly and shrug off their shoulders. “Prepare yourself, oh fated one, as the trials of strength will begin shortly.”

 

*DING*

QUEST AVAILABLE

Clear the Trials Ground and obtain its reward

QUEST REWARD: 100 Fate Points

QUEST PENALTY: Paralyzed for a year

*DING

Perfect. I aim to clear it anyway, but what’s up with that quest penalty, though? From one day, then one week and now a year? Come on, system, though I do need the Fate Points to buy a blank card.

 

The four of us exchange information on what we can do. As soon as we develop a concrete strategy, the robotic voice informed us, “The Trial of Strength will begin. Transporting in 3, 2, 1, good luck.” Before a white light envelop us.

 

The four of us gets transported into a room full of mannequins. “Scanning combat abilities. Please provide your name to the interface in front,” a control terminal like you see on the sci-fi movie popped out from the ground. I’m not unfamiliar with it, but Duncan and Diane got confused trying to use the terminal. Davida, though, had her eyes sparkling.

 

“User input accepted; processing data. Data processing complete. Eru, 16 years old, 1st Grade Aura Master. Duncan Willis, 37 years old, 4th Grade Aura Master. Diane Treeborn, 18 years old, 5th Grade Mage. Davida La Palapa, 15 years old, 5th Grade Mage, confirmed.”

 

Whaaat? These people are monsters.  Since when a 5th Grade Mage a common thing? Duncan, I believe, since he’s a middle-aged, 4th Grade Aura Master. Who would’ve thought that I met another people as talented as Gabriella, and my parents said she’s one of a kind.

 

I look at Diane, and she just goes “Tee-hee” in front of me while Davida hid behind Duncan. But, wait a minute…. These people have surnames. In this world, at least in the Zephyr Kingdom, only nobles had surnames. I never met a noble before. From what I know of nobles from pop culture, they’re an arrogant and smug human being who only cared for themselves. I guess I cannot judge a book before reading it.

 

“Please step forward to the designated platform.”

 

Four platforms appeared in front of us with our names above them. “So, we need to split up. Be careful,” Duncan concernedly warned. “All right, is everyone ready?” All three of us nodded at Duncan’s question. “Right, good luck.”

4