Chapter 17
42 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Seeing the other trials, I grimaced to myself. How come mine was way easier than theirs? As if reading my mind, the Trials Ground voice resounded in my head, “You are the Fate Master. This room was designed to groom the Fate Master, while its auxiliary purpose was to harshly select Fate Master companion. That’s why people cannot enter if they are not accompanied by a Fate Master.”

 

“O-oh, is that so?”

 

Three people appeared simultaneously in the waiting room, which startled me. All of them looked haggard, especially Duncan, who had blood all over his body. Then, a white light enveloped the three of them, healing their injuries. “Congratulations to Duncan Willis and Diane Treeborn for completing the Test of Might.” The robotic AI said immediately after the white light disappeared.

 

Duncan and Diane were surprised when they didn’t hear their young miss name. They looked at their young miss with worry. Sensing their gaze, Davida smile wryly. She could only blame herself for failing to defeat her sister. “For clearing the Test of Might, Duncan Willis and Diane Treeborn will receive a reward.” I then saw Duncan Aura rise into a 4th Grade Aura Master and Diane’s mana, spiralling in the air, pushing her up further, becoming a 6th Circle Mage.

 

“Congratulations to both of you”

 

“Thank you, young miss”, both bowed in courtesy at Davida. I watched the scene unfold as Davida tried to hold back her tears. ‘For such a shy girl, she’s highly competitive, I thought.

 

“The Test of Knowledge will happen in a few minutes. Please prepare yourself thoroughly.”

 

The three of them grouped up in the corner, talking about something; I felt like a third wheel here. Since I’ve got time, I sat down in a lotus position and proceed to meditate. Although the effects were not as strong as meditating below the moonlight, it still pretty effective for me. I closed my eyes, “System, how many fate points I currently have right now?”

 

“Replying to master, you currently have 68 Fate Points.”

 

“Open the Fate Store, please system.”

 

“Affirmative.”

 

Blank Card: 40 FP

Random World Card: 80 FP

Earth World Card (5 RP/day): 250 FP

Wind World Card (5 RP/day):: 250 FP

Fire World Card (5 RP/day):: 250 FP

Light World Card (5 RP/day):: 250 FP

Dark World Card (5 RP/day):: 250 FP

-etc

 

Even though I faced that group of kidnappers and almost died, I only got 68 FP? What a stingy system. Considering what I might face ahead, I contemplate buying a weapon, but the rewards from the Test of Might changed my mind. I direct my attention to Summons Card, and my eyes boggled out. The cheapest Summons Card require 150 FP, and that’s just a measly slime. What is this system? Why is it so expensive…. A rip off man, I’ll tell you, a rip-off. According to the system, I can also gain FP from training. I didn’t think that I got any FP from training. Maybe if I ranked up into 2nd Grade Aura Master.

 

As I contemplate my situation, a robotic voice resounded inside the room, “The Test of Knowledge will begin soon. Teleporting participant in 3, 2, 1. Good luck.”

 

===

 

The plain grey walls extended a few meters ahead before there’s a fork in the road. I turned around and saw a path behind me too, but there’s only a single path, unlike before. It looks like all four of us were transported in some kind of labyrinth. I looked at my companions, like me; they’re observing their surroundings carefully.

 

I speak to Davida, “It looks like we’re on a labyrinth. So, does that means our objective is to leave the labyrinth?”

 

“Looks like it.” Davida nodded, seemingly feeling better for herself. “We should decide on the formation.” She added, “We don’t know what danger lies ahead of us.” All of us agreed then Duncan, with his vast experienced, decided on how we should proceed. Duncan concludes that he was to be the vanguard while my job was to protect the rear. We proceed to walk down the path that has no fork. The fog around the place made it hard to see, but it doesn’t hinder us much.

 

We arrived in a wide-open garden. It had a gazebo near the corner alongside plants to decorate it. The centre of it, however, was empty. As soon as we step near the empty space, black and white tiles fell down from the sky. It formed a chessboard, 68 squares arranged in an eight-by-eight grid. The chess piece appeared last after the tiles arranged themselves.

 

“Welcome to the first hurdle on the Test of Knowledge. Please choose a representative among you to come forward. You will face me in a battle of chess. If you managed to defeat me, then you may pass. If not, you will fail the Test of Knowledge.” The black king moved and talked to us. Davida's eyes sparkled after seeing this, but maybe she’s still affected by the loss before as she’s not as excited as before.

 

“Chess? Who among you guys can play it?” I asked the group, seeing I can’t play for shit. Out of the three, only Davida raised her hand. I put my hand on her shoulder, “I’m counting on you.” I encouraged the girl. Maybe if she wins this, she would feel a little bit better. Davida nodded while Duncan and Diane giggled in the background. This lot, is it that fun teasing us?

 

“Leave it to me,” Davida said, pepping herself up by clapping her cheeks. We could felt her passion as her hot, fiery eyes signals that she is ready. She stepped up, bowing to the black king chess piece, “I’ll be your opponent.” She declared.

 

“Very well. Let the games begin.”

1