Chapter 3
23 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My breathing slowly started to calm, but then I realized I needed to get up, clean up, patch up and get out of here before more predators showed up.  

I started to sit up when the pain in my shoulder hit me. 

Guuuh

After checking I noticed that the shoulder was obviously bleeding and hurt, it hurt a lot, but it didn’t seem life threatening. 

I pulled out my first aid kit and patched up my shoulder. It was not fully treated, but I basically stopped the bleeding. I needed to find a safe spot to clean the wound and then re patch it up. 

I need to now, find some shelter…. it's starting to get darker, it looks like the sun will set in a few hours. 

I finally stood up and looked around at the chicken corpses.

Is there something valuable I can take from the bodies?

I came to the leader of the chicken raptors and started to look at it. 

I could be wrong, but these guys seemed very aggressive. I can’t imagine them sharing territory with other predators, maybe I have time to cut this guy up.

“Alright let's take a risk and be quick about it. I will need some food and maybe there is something valuable in the corpse.”

I then proceeded to field dress the big chicken like I would a rabbit. I did it quite messily since it was different from any animal I had cut up before and I was in a rush.

I took the heart, the liver and some meat from other areas and put them into my bag meant for deer meat. As I was taking out the heart I noticed some strange things. 

It has a second heart???

It was strange, it was smaller than the other one and was a dark purple and it had a small crystal like growth on the outside about. For reference, the big heart was about as big as my head and the small heart about as big as my closed fist and the crystal was about as big as my thumb. 

I decided to take this second heart with the crystal. 

The whole process took me about an hour. I knew some hunters could have done the whole corpse faster, but I was in a hurry and had no possibility of taking a lot of meat; it would only weigh me down. 

I was about to leave when the thought hit me.

 Where am I going? I know I need shelter, but I should go in a certain direction. I need to find humans or other intelligent creatures to truly be safe from the monsters…. I only have so many bullets.

I changed my mag, my last one. 

The good news is that this mag is hollow point, it should be able to one shot those chicken raptor like bastards…. for sure I need to conserve my bullets because I am not sure when and if I will be able to get more. 

GUhhh. 

The pain was starting to get worse because my adrenaline was wearing off. Also a side bonus, the backpack strap on my left shoulder was seriously damaged and so I was only using the right strap which messed up the weight distribution making me slower and more uncomfortable as I walked. Luckily my compound bow was only scuffed up but not damaged. I would check the rest of my stuff later.

 I will go towards that big tree for now. Bigger and powerful beasts will probably be on mountains so it is best to get away from the mountains. 

I began my walk towards the direction of the tree and according to my knowledge would be south, if this was still earth or had the same name. 

As I went, I was a lot more cautious, I took the time to smear dirt all over me and break off some weeds and smeared their juices on my and stuck the plant in my pockets, in my hat and other places. I did this to match my scent to the area. I assumed this is why the chickens had found me because I smelt completely different from the current area. 

Only after I had done this did it occur to me that these plants might be poisonous, though it may only cause a rash. I felt kinda stupid about not thinking about that. Luckily nothing seemed to happen, so I prayed that it would stay that way. 

Even though I was trying to be more cautious I did not attempt to cover up my sound by sneaking slowly or sticking to low visible areas. I needed to be quick because I was losing blood, though it was slow and therefore would make it easier to be found through my smell.

After an hour of cautiously quick exploration towards the tree I found a small stream and decided to follow it but not directly by it. I followed it through sound and minor visibles.

Decided to check if it was drinkable later when it was a bit darker, but not at night. Trying to avoid day and night predators. 

After a bit more I heard a thump in the distance.

Thump….. thump….. thump.

It sounds like footsteps but it's super loud…. and it's getting louder, just my luck. Better hide.

I found some shrubs near the bank of the stream and rushed to them after scanning my surroundings including the other side of the stream. I crawled under the shrubs and tried to dig myself into the dirt a bit. 

Thump….. thump …. thump

I hope it can’t smell me.

THUMP...THUMP THUMP

I looked to the north, in the direction of the coming steps. I then heard a few snaps as the creature broke some high branches as it  came into view.

That….. is that a fucking giant?!?!?

It was shorter than the trees but it was taller than a 2 story house at least. It was not lanky, but thick and  had a slightly bulging stomach. It had fur clothes covering most of its chest and 1 shoulder and a fur short skirt. The exposed skin was pretty hairy but not as much as an ape or a bear. It had hair on its head but it was balding on the top and it had a full beard. It was like a massive caveman. 

It looked at the stream and then turned to the south and started to walk on the stream with its feet covered in furs kicking up water from the stream. 

….FUck did it somehow find me? did it smell my blood or the chicken meat?!

I started to shake slightly and my heart beat fast because of how anxious and nervous I was. 

Just stay still, just stay still…

I told my self to stay still and tried to hold my breath.

THUMP THUMP THUMP

I am gonna die…..

I had this thought that all was lost and lowered my head to the dirt looking at the dirt. Oddly enough this thought was somewhat calming, like I had accepted my death.

THUMP CRUNCH

This was so loud and caused me to bounce off the ground as the giant stepped on some bushes near me as if he was stepping on grass.

THUMP THUMP ...THUMP

It walked on by, continuing south. 

I was shocked.

I am alive?

After it finally left to the point that I could no longer hear it. I let out my breath.

I can’t believe I am alive….

I then realized that I accepted my death passively and that made me depressed and mad.

I can’t believe I just accepted my death like it was natural… I mean it's good I didn’t move but still…. damn!

I then got up and examined myself and luckily I had not done the classical example of fear…. peeing my pants. 

I then continued down the stream but a bit farther from the stream. It was getting darker and I knew I would have to find a place soon.

Finally, I found a suitable place to hunker down for the night. It was a tree with a hollowed knot on the side, which back home would be for owls or some bird but here was big enough for me. There was a problem though.

Fuck… that is high.

The knot was about 2 stories high, about where that giant's head would be. Because of the lack of lower branches on these trees it would be impossible to get up there if it were not for the vines.

I need to try, it is getting too dark to find another place and I am not confident in building a shelter out of branches and shrubbery that are down here that can withstand these beasts.

I quickly went to check on the stream. It looked clear, so I took a sip. It did not taste bad but I did not know because I was an amature hunter and was not an expert in all these things. I drank the rest of the water in my water bottle and then I filled the water bottle.

I then put my stuff near the tree and went for a walk. When I was just barely in view of my selected shelter. I took a piss. I did this to hopefully avoid my smell being too close to my shelter.

I then went back to my shelter. I tied rope to my backpack and bow. I tied the other end to my waist. I then began to climb the vines.

I was not a professional climber so it was hard and took a long time and I nearly fell 2 times before I finally reached the top. 

After panting a while, I pulled my stuff up which was also hard since I had never done something like this and it was not like I went to the gym to actively work out, hunting was just a hobby. 

After some more panting my breath finally calmed. I then sat there and watched the sky get dark and began to hear night sounds. To my surprise I heard wolves. 

I checked my items and looked at the sky again and then I was clueless and I knew without a shadow of a doubt that I was not on earth.

There was a moon, but there was more than the moon. There were lots of smaller objects around the moon that, to be honest, looked like asteroids. They were not white like the moon I was familiar with. The main moon was kind of orange and the surroundings were white, red, yellow, orange and one that was dark gray and almost black. 

I sat there for quite a few minutes not sure what to think. 

“hahah” I chuckled. “I guess going home is gonna be a problem and surviving will be even harder…...”

After that I just pondered my situation until I finally fell asleep.

1