Double Job (2/2)
214 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Assassination has always been a grey-area matter. Well, it’s usually entirely corrupt and black, but there are upsides.

You could have a really bad guy killed, like a dictator who starves his population. That’s an upside. Besides that, yeah, assassination is pretty dark. It is an incredibly hard place to last longer than a few years.

Since assassination is such a gray-area, or completely dark area, most people tend to want to distance themselves from it. Especially the people who actually contact real assassins.

Now considering this, and that most people hate being associated with such a disgusting illegal job, one has to wonder why some one as rich as Viola Basset is showing her face at a hangout spot for killers.

Not to mention the fact that this hangout spot is an illegal bar next to one of the most prestigious school in Tokyo. Should the police raid us, Mrs. Basset would have some criminal charges against her.

This whole situation is made even more abnormal by the fact that I have never met a client in person.

So with that in mind, I focused my confused and questioning gaze over to Big boss, as if I was asking him what’s happening.

Just from that smug smirk on his face, I could tell that he knew why I was so confused. He understood me. However, he just haughtily sipped his wine and ignored me.

‘Seriously, why does everyone like keeping secrets from me? Not to mention that this is related to me!’

We were all seated at one of the bar’s tables. We were six, so we sat at on of the party-sized tables. The seating arrangement was not important, but Viola Basset, mother of the kids I’m tutoring, is in front of me, seemingly still examining me.

“Are you sure this is the right one? He seems... scared” (Viola)

“Well madam, that’s because he is” (Big boss)

“Kuh!” (Ren)

I spat out my drink in surprise and mostly embarrassment. He was correct after all, but did he have to be so blunt? I’m trying my best!

“Huh. And this is what? Some insult to my family? A joke?” (Viola)

The cold tone coming from Viola’s soft and tiny lips was enough to give Big boss some shivers down the back of his spine.

“Of course not, Mrs. Basset. He is nervous, only because your greatness is in front of him” (Big boss)

“Well, that would explain it. Now, show him the papers” (Viola)

Big boss has never been humiliated like this. His grimace and shaking fist was proof of that. Though, I never felt bad for him. In fact, this was something to cherish as it may never come again.

His twitching eye turned to his side, where a leather sling bag was situated. It looked heavily worn, though it also had a certain vintage feel to it.

In it was a singular piece of paper, feeling as if it just recently came out of the printed, not crumpled and perfectly inked.

The smooth paper was slid in front of me for my viewing.

Using my finger to trace which line I was on, I was instantly caught up on one major condition.

[A pay of 12 million yen will be given to the signee (Tsuchiya Ren). For taking up this job, a pay of 3 million yen will be allotted and should the signee complete the job and it’s requirements, the final sum of 9 million yen will be finally paid within 10 days of the completion]

Absurd.

That was the only word that came to my mind. I was so shocked that I couldn’t even express it fully through my face.

All I knew was that my mouth was gaped and my eyes intensifying their stare into that line; I was re-reading it over and over and over again, burning it into my eyes.

12 million was all I saw. That was 8 pure digits of money. In my excitement, I skimmed through the rest of the contract, barely bothering with the terms and conditions.

My breathing got heavy and I was shaking in my seat. From the corner of my eye, I could see Yanyan sneaking some glances at me. From the way she was looking, it was hard to discern if it was out of spite, sadness or excitement.

Either way, I didn’t care. This is enough money. With this, we will be able to start the proper process of getting Chika back on her feet, and then have a good amount of savings left over.

It’s obviously not nearly enough to complete the entire treatment, but it’s still a big sum.

Gulp!

“You look like you’re enjoying yourself” (Viola)

“H-huh? O-o-oh, I’m sorry...” (Ren)

The woman who was paying that 12 million yen looked at me like a simpleton monkey who only followed my instincts. Since I wasn’t a... well, simpleton monkey, I did feel embarrassed from that disdain-filled glare.

It really helped in calming me down, which made me skim over the contract once more. I made sure to not look at the massive number situated at the top, but it was tempting.

Looking even closer this time, I noticed some important details that I missed. In fact, some of this was incredibly finely detailed; with every possible scenario painted out in perfection.

It was honestly a bit scary.

There was no insurance for me in case I lost my life on the job. That was a big red flag, but then again, being in this bar is a red flag in and of itself so I can ignore that.

I will have to transfer schools from Yoshida Girls’ High School to Tokyo Prestige International School - which happened to be the school of the four girls.

I didn’t mind this as well, since it was even closer to my house. And from what I’ve heard from colleagues, the benefits were basically the same.

There was only one problem and that was, in the contract, it claimed that I needed to “hone my skills”. They don’t specifically mention what skills nor do they try to clarify.

“Ummm... do you mind clarifying this part?” (Ren)

“No” (Viola)

“...huh” (Ren)

Such a blunt answer caught me more off-guard. A simple no. I mean, no means no but right now, that isn’t the case. Her glare looked to try and intimidate me into just signing it, but I needed to know what I’m getting into.

“What is... skills?” (Ren)

“Your skills from when you were born” (Viola)

Her “answer” just produced some more questions. She mentions something about born skills? Skills that I had from birth? What, sucking my mother’s teat? Crying? Will I practice the skill of crying?

“I see then...” (Ren)

Seeing that I stopped asking questions about the contract itself, Viola’s eyes sharpened up and she was excited. Not sexually, but... financially? She seemed excited to make this deal with me.

With a reluctant yet cheerful expression, I took the pen and signed my name on the dotted line; I just sold myself to my client. A devil, if I had a say in this.

Gulp!

‘S-scary...’

My eyes met hers as she extended those slim, cold fingers towards my direction. Holding my hand firmly, she refused to let go until I had what expression she wanted to see.

“I like him” (Viola)

“I know. Quite a lot of people like him” (Big boss)

Heaving a heavy sigh, Viola places her hands on her knees and pushes up, making herself stand upright with an impeccable posture.

“Then... I’ll be leaving. You begin after summer. All transfer fees will be taken care of” (Viola)

“Good night~” (Yanyan)

Once she left, I felt a sharp exhale coming from my nostrils. I couldn’t help it. I was too tensed up when she was even near me.

“That’s good, Tsuchiya-san. This is a very important job for you, you know? Let me tell you; 12 million - that isn’t even a third of what your beloved Yuriko makes in a week” (Big boss)

“W-what?! Not even a third... then why is she still here?” (Ren)

With a carefree expression, he rested his arm around my shoulder like we were close friends of many years. A soft voice escaped his lips and into my ears.

“That’s the questions you’re asking? You know why, Tsuchiya-san. Don’t deny the truth just because it’s unbelievable” (Big boss)

In fact, I knew what he was talking about. Both of us knew. I knew that something wasn’t right with Yanyan. She was a bit... off. Something about her just seemed so odd.

Her behavior was mostly normal, but still.

I hope to understand her one day and maybe gain her trust so she can open up. I wonder if I can help her in any way...? Whatever the case, I won’t leave her. She is still important to me.

Definitely.

Yuriko. Yuriko Asami. I’ll never give up on you. I can promise you that.

 

———

a.n | enloo~. It’s another chapter and I hope you enjoyed this chapter from me! Thanks for reading so far and I love y’all lots!

6