Chapter 121: Opportunity
15 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When her group arrived at Estella's manor, Elaine said to the servants, "Bring this man to the servant quarters." She pointed to a stout middle-aged man standing beside the burly young knight. Before they reached the Croix estate, she had already sprinkled the magician's dust on Agnes' brother, instructing him to transform into his current guise. She then returned to Estella's countenance and changed into the noble attire.

The man hesitantly stepped forward. His frightened, beady eyes stared back at Elaine.

She gave him a reassuring smile, then motioned to the head maid.

"As you wish, milady." The head maid bowed and walked toward the middle-aged man, guiding him inside.

Elaine watched their figures disappear into the manor before switching her gaze to Roiland. "I appreciate your service today, Sir Roiland. You may return to your other duties."

"Thank you, milady. Please call on me if you require any assistance in the future. I am always available at your disposal." The young knight inclined his body and climbed on his steed, riding back to the knight's quarters.

After dismissing everyone except Cecil, she returned inside the carriage and ordered, "Take me to the main manor." Rather than wait for the Duke's inevitable summoning, she preferred to take the initiative. Elaine opened the window, staring into the carefully crafted scenery while the carriage rolled along the cobblestone path. She observed the blond-haired young man riding his stallion next to her before a thought surfaced. "When is your birthday, Sir Ascania?"

Since the Croix only scouted orphans into its elite troops, most of the knights and knights in training did not know their birth dates. However, unlike his comrades, Cecil was the son of a Marquis and the House of Ascania's young master before the Duke ruined his family. He must have retained memories of the date he used to celebrate for eight years. It was a spur-of-the-moment question, and Elaine was uncertain if he would answer her. After all, such information was unnecessary in their current relationship as master and servant.

Cecil's eyes lowered as though lost in rumination while the seconds stretched between them. After a moment, Elaine could no longer endure the silence. She parted her lips, wanting to spare everyone from the awkward atmosphere. Perhaps he was uncomfortable sharing such intimate information with a stranger. Before she could dismiss the question, Cecil raised his golden lashes, eyes meeting hers. "I was born on the twelfth day during the fourth month," he replied.

His birthday had already passed, she realized. "I see." Elaine nodded, carving herself a mental note.

As they approached, a black-draped figure stood at the entrance, wearing his eternally cordial facade. Elaine's gaze focused on him, not surprised at the Smiling Devil's presence. She expected the man, and it appeared he also expected her.

"His Grace will see Your Ladyship in the study," he wasted no time to inform Elaine after she stepped down from the carriage.

She thanked him, eyes fixed ahead, and entered the main manor.

When Elaine arrived at the study, she saw Gerard standing beside the bookshelf, reading a volume from its collections. He never glanced up from the pages, only gestured for her to sit.

"Thank you, Father." She proceeded to a seat and waited for the Duke to complete his reading like a proper and demure noble lady. Elaine was in no rush to experience Estella's father's soon-to-descend wrath, whatever form it might appear in.

After a while, Gerard shut his book and returned it to the shelves. "I heard you had an interesting encounter today," he finally addressed her.

It was a simple statement with no signs of temperament, yet it raised all the hairs on Elaine's body. "Yes, it was a learning experience," she claimed, suppressing the wild beating inside her ribcage. "I am grateful for the opportunity."

"Opportunity?" he repeated, his lips curled into a mocking smile.

She swallowed and lifted her head, forcing herself to face the Duke's piercing gaze. Despite the knots in her stomach, she could not show weakness. "An attained opportunity, no matter the method, is still an opportunity. To obtain what you desire by any means necessary, is it not you who taught me such a lesson, Your Grace?" 

Besides Estella's standard education plans on being a punctilious Crown Princess, she also attended several supplemental lectures—special lessons Gerard arranged in preparation for her future marriage into the monarchy. Hidden beneath the harmonious facade were many simmering undercurrents, a ruthless and deadly struggle for the throne. In addition to his troublesome promiscuity, everyone understood it was futile to count on Estella's incompetent fiancé to challenge and undermine the Third Prince's overwhelming advantages. Thus, the burden of fighting the vicious yet often unseen wars all rested on the House of Croix's shoulders, especially for Estella as the Crown Prince's fiancée. The Duke raised his firstborn daughter to become not only his obedient puppet but also an effective weapon and shield for the Crown Prince on the battlefield called the royal court.

It must have been a cruel and lonely path. 

Elaine bemoaned her predecessor's fate. Now that she had walked the same road, she could understand why Estella transformed into a cold-hearted and vindictive individual in the original story. However, to achieve her aim, Elaine must continue, even if it would cause her demise.

"Perhaps I did," Gerard nodded. "Then should I commend your achievement today?" He advanced toward Elaine, each step evoking a violent thumping inside her chest like a time bomb threatening to explode. His gaze lingered on her, watching for momentary exposure and insecurity.

Elaine held her posture, unwilling to yield to his pressure, for she understood the repercussions of such a blunder. 

"You remind me of my younger self," the Duke commented, settling into the seat opposite her. "I will allow you one chance to convince me. Why should I grant you this privilege?"

2