Chapter 11 – New Friends.
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"So, Miss... Clarice, was it? Are you newly-employed?" The affable-looking guy asked me after swallowing a mouth of the pasta he was eating, obviously interested and excited at the idea of meeting a new person. His eyes brightened at the mere fact it’s his first time meeting me. Hmm, he looked like a very talkative person, and with him this easy-going and effortlessly taking the initiative to chat with people, he’s sure... a nice person. 

Scooping a huge mouthful of the bibimbap I ordered, "No, I have an interview here today, so I'm here." I answered nonchalantly, genuinely uninterested about the prospect of being accepted in the preliminary interviews, or hired for that matter after receiving that kind of treatment earlier inside the waiting slash dining room where we interviewees told to wait for the actual interview to start. Hmm, thinking about it, were the people there given food? It’s already lunch. Well, not that I’m concerned, however. They can starve there for all I care. Cough. 

Please excuse me for that, I was simply too enraged. However, I’m sure this would gradually disappear. 

The pasta fell off his fork after hearing my answer, expression full of shock and disbelief. “Really?!” He burst out after a moment, unconsciously standing in exhilaration. Realizing his exaggerated reaction a short while later, he smiled sheepishly as he fidgeted, embarrassed, and consequently sitting back down. 

I looked at him in shock, genuinely not expecting that kind of reaction. “Huh? What’s so exciting about it?” I asked after swallowing the mouthful of bibimbap, gazing at him with a bewildered expression. “You don’t know?” He let out a gasp, unintentionally sliding his eyes to the side, looking at the man beside him. I saw the other man look back, and I got more confused. 

“Don’t know what?”

“You heard what we talked about right—” he started.

“—Yes, and I didn’t mean to eavesdrop. I apologize for that,” I butted in guiltily, genuinely feeling bad about the whole affair.

I told you, it’s fine! With my voice being that loud, it’s inevitable!” He laughed, waving his hand (that wasn’t holding the fork, mind you) in a placating manner. “I’ve heard from the people that the interviews are for another purpose,” he babbled, leaning forward above the table, getting closer to me as he motions me to get closer too. And to my amusement, the stoic man did too, giving me the stink eye. 

“Aside from hiring applicants, one of them will be chosen to be part of the chairman’s office!” He disclosed, feeling a bit smug. He then took a seat, and the two of us followed suit. 

Hearing that, I narrowed my eyes. 

That’s surprising. Chairman assistants were people of high capability. Choosing them from this small batch of new people was suspicious at the very least. Besides, is this what the company put in their qualification policy? Their qualification procedure for a chairman assistant was simply an interview?

Assistants should be very capable since they were to maintain their boss’s public image and more so if the assistant to be hired would be the chairman’s. Besides, in the board of directors, the chairman was the very head, and there were a lot of matters to think about when you were part of the policy-making body in the company.

Would they really choose the chairman’s assistant from this batch of hiring? If they were to choose the assistant in this batch, I wonder how long they would stay. Those reactions from merely rumors about me were enlightening. 

Please, don’t get me wrong, all people to be observed were said to be capable, however, being the executive assistant of the chairman is no small position to occupy.

Well, if that’s how they would do it, then that’s it. I won’t care anymore. 

“You already mentioned that Shane.” The other man stated dully, sipping from a chocolate drink full of whipped cream. Huh, from his ever-cold personality, I assumed he would like coffee, those very bitter kinds. I never expected he liked sweets. What was with this gap moe? It’s blinding.

Dang, I hate myself for thinking that way. Erase such thoughts, Clarice. Just because he looked like a prick, it didn’t mean he would be. But well, looking back to his previous interaction with me, albeit still little—that stink eye and cold gaze I received from talking with the cute guy… Well, yeah. A prick. No shit. An overprotective (totally not possessive) prick. 

I think we will be good friends—the cute guy, anyway. Shane was just so… cute! It’s like I have a younger brother! Yes, thank you very much. 

As people could notice, Shane and I… hit it off pretty quickly, with us talking like this as if we’ve been friends for a decade or so. I’m not complaining, however. It feels great to have another friend since I totally lack in that department. I’m not ashamed of it, though. It’s not something to be shameful about, actually. Quality. I’m more inclined to have the quality of friends instead of quantity. I don’t want any friendship troubles as much as possible, thank you very much.

Shane pursed his lips as he narrowed his eyes, feeling slightly upset at his companion. “I know I did, Nate.” He rattled on. “I’m just building the momentum!” He added, averting his gaze toward me once more as his lips curved into an excited arc. 

“Adding to that fact, few of the higher-ups will be on site.” He continued, to my obvious astonishment and horror, but also a little bit of excitement. “Wait, you mean-” I felt the food I swallowed lodged in my throat and I hastily reached for my drink. Catching Shane vigorously nodding when I gave him a sidelong glance as I drank, he continued. “Yeah! I’m not sure who will be coming, but I assume that some people on the board will be part of the interviewers.” Then his expression swiftly changed to confusion. “However, no one knew what they looked like.” Shane sighed, simply disappointed at the fact. 

Huh, that would change everything, then. If one of the people on the board themselves would be part of the interviewers, they would be able to see which person was capable. However, what a peculiar hiring process. I’m not saying it’s bad, though.

But, executive assistant hiring should not be this simple. Well, if this was decided by the top, I had no problems. 

I snorted, “Why are you even disappointed? With them at the very top of the company hierarchy, it's almost impossible for you to meet them.” I probed, not really understanding why he was so upset about it.

I pointed the spoon at him and I noticed at my periphery Nate narrowing his eyes, a frown marring his face. It kind of amused me, in a morbid and distasteful manner, however, that I could mar that ever-stoic face of his. Though, honestly, that made it more fun. With me being friends with Shane, it would extend to Nate for it seemed that these two would be inseparable. This… was nice.

“Why-?” Shane dramatically gasped at my question, evidently aghast. He laid his hand onto his chest, looking at me with a mocking expression as if talking to me suddenly became a chore. I smiled sheepishly, raising my hands in a defeated manner. “I honestly have no clue, cute guy.” I placated, giving myself another spoonful a few moments later. 

Shane harrumphed, and I blinked my eyes in surprise. Okay, that was weird. I said in my mind, waiting for the man to continue. I hastily looked at Nate and didn’t expect him to look resigned and desperate. Nate consequently let out a sigh, I’m not sure though. He just slumped in defeat. Huh… What the hell is happening…

“You're not wrong, but I heard that the chairman is eye candy! I wanted to see whether the rumor is true!” Shane suddenly exclaimed, jolting me awake from my muse. Staring at him blankly, it took me a while to understand what he meant. Was he-

I glanced at Nate and saw him looking away. I suddenly felt like pitying him. So they aren’t a couple. Unfortunate. As if feeling my gaze, Nate snapped his neck toward me, his eyes ablaze with a warning. It was as if he was telling me to remain silent. I stilled and tightly pressed my lips together, a strained smile making its way onto my lips. I averted my eyes and looked back at Shane who just indirectly divulged his sexuality. 

Was I too comfortable to talk with that he unthinkingly let out his true thoughts? 

Dang, I feel overwhelmed and at the same time, fucking touched. We just met a few hours ago, and I never expected him to disclose such a piece of sensitive information to me. This was incredibly… I don’t know what to say!

“Are you-” Gaping at the sudden reveal, I found myself lost for words. 

Now that I took a closer look, Shane looked incredibly pale and nervous. He scooted closer to Nate and anxiously waited for my response. It seemed like everything was blurted out. Figures. No one could easily say this kind of thing.

“I guess… that was unintentional,” I slowly commented after swallowing, being careful at the words I said.

Shane bit his lower lip in trepidation. “It’s not really a secret, Miss Cla-”

“Clarice, Clarice. Call me just Clarice.” 

“B-But…”

“Despite it being unintentional, I don’t have any plans doing anything with that information except,” I took a deep breath. Then squealed softly in excitement. “OMG! Shane! Do you read any novels, or anything related to BL?!!” I exclaimed like a dying duck, though, I did it with the softest voice possible. Here’s to hoping the people didn’t hear, amen.

It was Shane’s turn to blink in surprise, disbelief evident on his face.

“You’re not,” he stuttered. “You’re not disgusted?”

“What?!” I gasped in horror. “Why would I be?!” I cried out in response, my expression screaming at him that being disgusted didn’t even pass my mind. On the contrary, I never expected to meet a person like them and it's extremely wonderful! With having Kuya Gian as my friend, I discovered that meeting people like him or Shane would be nothing but a miracle! 

Even with the world slowly being liberated and people gradually getting tolerant of homosexuality (or other genders for that matter), they were still the receiver of scrutiny, which was unfortunate. 

Meeting people like Shane and Gian was simply a miracle! Not many were courageous enough to let people know of their sexuality and being one of the people who could know (albeit unintentionally, but still, it was an honor!), it was incredibly overwhelming! 

“I have a brother who I loved very much who’s into the same sex! He’s incredibly handsome! Very kind! Very handsome! Do you want to meet him sometime!?” I suddenly put some good words for Gian, forgetting about a piece of certain information I noticed from watching Shane and Nate. 

Shane looked incredibly touched, almost tearing up. He hurriedly wiped his eyes and gasped dramatically, his eyes twinkling in delight. 

But, Nate, the killjoy, cleared his throat, breaking the good atmosphere between Shane and me. I gave him the stink eye. Then, I suddenly recalled. A knowing look flashed to my face and smiled at Nate. He averted his gaze, his neck flushing. Oh-ho???

“Boo, don’t be such a killjoy, Nate!” Shane whined.

“Lunch is almost over. Don’t you still need to do something?” Tsk, look. Typical change of topic. Not so original, Nate.

The cheerful man jumped in realization. “Ah! I forgot!” Oh, it appeared that Shane really had matters to attend to. Unfortunate. He then hurriedly cleaned his plate and put it on the tray, carrying it with him. “Hurry up, guys!” He told us in urgency, motioning us to move faster. I did what he said and shoved the remaining spoonful of my bibimbap into my mouth and swallowed the food with my drink. Nate finished the lasts of his teeth-rotting drink and quickly stood up. 

I followed the pair to the corner of the cafeteria and laid the tray onto the counter. Then, I saw people inside retrieving the trays. Huh, what a nice practice. 

We briskly walked towards the entrance and as we arrived there, Shane hugged me tightly. “Thank you, Clarice.” He sincerely thanked me and I hugged him back as tightly as his. I patted his back. I giggled softly. 

“Good luck with the interviews.” Nate slowly said and I nodded in thanks, giving him a slight smile. Letting go of Shane and handing him a piece of folded paper, I gave both of them an evil grin. “Actually, I don’t intend to be hired, well, anymore.”

“What?!” But before they could ask for more, I hurriedly walked away and waved my hand. “My number and account are written there! Text or chat me in a few hours or if you’re done with work!” 

Then I went back to the lobby, casually asking where the printing services were located in the building. I happily gave my thanks to the receptionist and quickly went there. 

I didn’t intend to go back to the dining slash waiting room after that event. Besides, I’m sure that the atmosphere there would definitely be strained. So, with that decision in mind, I continued my way towards my destination. After arriving, I walked towards the counter and gave the flash drive. I informed the employee in charge of my request and consequently sat down on the comfy sofa inside the room, and reached for a magazine.

I know that what I’m doing was rude and a little bit contrary to the work etiquette, more so that I’m not hired yet. But, meh. As I said before, I’m not anymore planning to be hired in this kind of company. Sure, I went back here to atone and hopefully receive his forgiveness, but I’m not planning on taking this kind of treatment lying down. 

Maybe after my interview, I would be banned from every branch of his company. Lol. That would be funny. Well, since this would likely be the last time I will be meeting him, there’s a huge possibility that he wouldn’t ever forgive me. 

I hope he will like my present, though. I smilingly said in my mind. Not that I mind if he didn’t, however.

0