V3C12 – Who What
1.7k 4 63
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I forgot if I mentioned this yet, but I can't absorb atmospheric mana because that would be like killing all the unborn new spirits and starving all the existing ones in [Orvinus]. 


Ai Nakano POV:

Upon entering the church alone, I see a well-carved statue of a divine figure in its center. It's a stone sculpture of Goddess [Ervia], though I didn't meet her personally. Now that I'm here do I just...pray for spells? I walked up to the godly body and stared at it upwards. The blaring sun crept onto my face and went through my hollow eyes. A few moments later, I fell to my knees. What am I doing...I'm lost. My eyes shut and when I opened them again, I was in an infinitely white space, the [Divine Realm].

"Hello hello~"

My eyes weren't focused right and my body was unfeeling.

"W-Who?"

"Goddess [Ervia] it is. You must be one from Earth who came to save, is that it?"

Her information works fast.

"A-ah yes."

"What's wrong? You seem out of it."

"It's nothing, so I hea--"

"Hm..."

"W-what?"

"This is troubling. I can't send you out there like this!"

"Wa?"

"Alright spill it! What's on your mind?"

"Huh? So suddenly..."

Well, she's the benefactor of the heroes, my friends. Maybe talking about it would lift something off my chest.

"Well you see, I'm kind of lost."

"Lost?"

Once I started, I couldn't stop. I poured out my thoughts. I lost track of time and forgot to filter my words, they just spilled out naturally. What am I even saying, none of it is cohesive...I spoke about my past, my conflicts, my worries, my wants...

"I see."

"So?"

"What an irritating problem."

"Ha?"

"Fitting for a human."

Why did I ever tell this 'Goddess' if she's just going to laugh at my problems !?

"But, there is a simple solution to it, one you have clouded in your mind."

"!?"

"What do you want?"

"What I want..."

What do I want? What do I wish for? To be an idol? To be a [Magical Girl]? To be a normal high schooler? To escape my role? 

"I-I..."

"See? At your core, you want to be..."

"...free."

Free? But I have all the freedom in the world? I don't...no, what am I doing here then?

"Face this fact, you wish for an unattainable 'normal.' You must make your own 'normal' because you are undeniably special. Everyone is. To pave this path you need to explore, unchained."

Her words are corny, but somehow it pangs all the right veins in my heart.

"Normal, special..."

Was it ever a question? My doubts are being cleared like the clouds of today. If I'm not satisfied, move on, is that the freedom I neglect? Was I wrong in chasing arrogant ideals? My effort...

"T-Then, what if it was just my desire to ease responsibility off of me. The responsibility should be rightfully on me! That's wrong isn't it?"

Some of it I didn't ask for, but not everyone has the freedom to choose.

"The responsibility imposed upon you, it's no wonder why you couldn't burden it. But, you kept at it, and you wanted it to change...what you wanted was to be free."

"I don't see the point."

"Desiring the release from responsibility is selfish but tolerable, but wishing for freedom is beautiful."

"..."

I still kind of don't get it. Anyways, how can it be wrong in that case? Am I--was I wrong? Are these struggles worth anything?

"..."

I'll make them worth something then. I'll be free, I'll be my own 'normal.' What I wish for...what I burden will balance. This fragility is an idol isn't it? This fragility is a [Magical Girl]. This fragility is a high schooler. This freedom may or may not be an escape from my role. How do I define it...as Ai Nakano I continue. I guess I was partly wrong, my mind was too narrow. But it worked out in the end. I feel a bit more relieved now.

I have my answer, a balance of aptitude. The wish to live freely, I guess this is what separates my envy and others. 

"Thank you, Goddess [Ervia]."

"No problem, it was mostly you just realizing yourself anyway."

I think I'll be just fine. 


"Oh, by the way, I came here in the first place because they said you could bestow spells."

Which are magic formations engraved directly into the mind.

"Oh yes, I guess it would be the least I can do for you..."

My head was touched by her smooth silky fingers and immediately felt a comforting warmth.

"I gave you [Multiple Slash] for now, I think that [Physical Enhancement] might tinker with your existing enhancements so I'll save it."

"Thank you!"

"Yes yes, be glad I personally met you."

I am though.

"I'll send you back to your body now, see ya~"

My mind swooshed back to the scene of my laying body in the church. There was a small smile on my face, it felt so natural...


Hero Party POV:

We're still making our way to the frontlines, we saved a few people but if we stop too much we'll never make it in time. The [Curses] and [Cursed One]...we're coming for you!


Allen POV:

Allen, a 12-year-old boy in a slightly rural town belonging to the [Holy Kingdom], was tending to the farm. As farmers do. But,

"Grrraaa!"

A wild [Curse] appeared!

"T-This far in!?"

He scrambled away from the boarish beast with ugly black skin and worrisome sounds. He held up his gardening tool like a sword and began tuning his mana. Despite being commoner trash, there was an adventurer who was adept in swordsmanship that tutored Allen. He was also blessed with decent magic power and spells at a young age. This ability of his to stay calm when facing a monster was also splendid.

"Come at me!"

He was a little rough around the edges though.

"Ggggrrraaaa!!!"

The boar lunged and Allen evaded to the side, using a miniature [Wind Blade] to slice its side in the created opening. This was probably the most damage he could manage. It was still impressive for a 12-year-old. Staggering away from that position, the boar unexpectedly turned at a frightening speed. Allen's balance wavered and his head turned upwards...

"It's charging again...cr*p!"

The [Curse] pushed forward madly with constant bloodlust draining Allen's color.

"This isn't...the end!"

Allen desperately cranked his mind, how would he win...how could he win?

[Ice Spear]

The [Curse] was pierced between the eyes and it disappeared after dropping a mediocre [Core].

"Huh?"

"You did well holding up kiddo."

Gauss stepped forward along with Satomi to check if he was injured.

"O-oh thank you."

Allen then realized...

"HUH? GAUSS-SAMA?"

Then he realized even more...

"THE HEROES!?"

Weren't they supposedly sent back to their world? Did they return in times of crisis? After confirming Allen wasn't that hurt, they bid farewell and continued on their journey.

"What just happened..."


Aki POV:

The demons have had enough time to gather. Really, that was a bit too fast, is your faith that unwavering? Anyways, it helps my case since the clock is ticking down. I've informed the army not to bring more than needed and say their goodbyes, but I wonder how many actually get that large-scale space magic will be used to transport them to the battlefield. By the [Spirit King] no less. Since we only had days to do this, there will be some casualties but we can prevent most of them.

"Aki-sama, our people await your words."

"I see."

I have to put on my good face as a leader. Social skills and confidence, 100% output. Let's go. I head out the light-covering curtains and stand on the balcony-like platform before the demons, rather, my subjects. [Demon Lords] have such an authority, I'd be scared if something wasn't driving me forward.

"Listen up people! We have a war on our hands! As the [Demon Lord Aki], I say our priority is crushing the foul [Curses] at their source!"

"OOOUUUU!!!"

There are curious demons looking my way, others who are indifferent, and some who look on with admiration. I'll take advantage of all of those stares. But first,

"Eurevos."

"I'm here."

The [Spirit King]'s dense mana covered the skies. Oh god~

"W-What is that!?"

"This mana, the [Spirit King] Eurevos?"

"No way, the new [Demon Lord] was acquainted with someone like that? She even addressed him without honorifics!"

"Eurevos will transfer us all here...!"

Lovet displayed his [Broadcast] spectacularly. His mana pool seems quite large...

"Prepare yourselves!"

I took a gallant stance and smiled fearlessly. Huh? I don't know why I'm smiling...but it just feels natural.

""Yes, Aki-sama!""

I breathed in and exhaled out deeply. My jumpy mana is making twirls in my hands. My resolve is hardened, together we'll rise over these [Curses] and prevent bloodshed. Perhaps the demons could sense this feeling.

Anyways, Eurevos soon after, snapped his ghostly figures and blue mana covered the area. Every demon willing to fight was pushed with me to the frontlines of demon territory where hell falls.

63