Revealed, Like It Was All A Joke
1.2k 2 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"That isn't a bad thing, and it's probably the same reason I can't read her book if she doesn't want me to," I said, and Nixi glared at me.

"What are you talking about?" Nixi asked, and I felt the Cerberus girls starting to tense.

"What did I tell you? I can't stop you from acting like a spoiled child inside your room, but you will not try to intimidate my friends inside of my own house, or you can leave. I don't have to answer anything that you say, and I don't really want to talk to you," I said, and Nushi gasped in my ear, startling me.

I hadn't even noticed her get close, and her deep breath inhalation was almost in my ear, making me turn to her face. When I did, Nushi turned her head into mine, and our faces pressed together.

I wouldn't call it a kiss, Nushi pulled back too quickly, and our lips had barely grazed each other. Nushi's horns started to crackle as she pulled back, and I thought I was about to get it, but then the crackling got closer.

I had my hand on Riez's head, and she was no longer shaking, but the other two were still. That just meant that they were still scared of Nixi, even without the pressure, and that was to be expected.

"Fine, tell me how it is that I can't read her mind then," Nixi said in a somewhat calm voice, but I could tell that Nixi was trying to keep her temper in check; that was the best I could hope for.

"Do you know about the abilities that I have given the girls? It happens when I take them into my care and confirm that I will look after them?" I asked, and Nixi nodded to me.

"Yes, I know about the Systems, but I thought that they were only reserved for the Heroes? Why can you just give them away?" Nixi asked in confusion, but I smiled at her.

"I was offered a powerful System at the beginning when I first arrived on the island, but I refused it. I don't need to get into my reasons that deeply," I started to say, but Nixi added her two cents.

"It's because you're an idiot. Why else would you deny something that could make you stronger?" Nixi commented, and I just shrugged.

"That is a matter of opinion, and what good did it do the ones that came before me? I can't say that it had anything to do with choice because it had nothing to do with it. If I would have made a choice to take it, I would more than likely be dead already, and I wouldn't be able to deal with you," I explained.

Nixi still had her eyes narrowed at me, but she was bobbing my head along to the points I was making, so I had to assume she was getting it. Nushi had come around to the other side of me and then pulled a chair closer to sit beside me.

Nushi was nearly crawling to get on top of me. She stayed so close to me that she almost had her legs over the top of mine.

I don't even think that Nushi noticed what she was doing. All she did was stare wide-eyed at Nixi.

"Fine, so you didn't take the System offered. That doesn't explain how the girls got their powers!" Nixi complained, and then I went over the rest of the story until we arrived at the Keep.

After I was done, Nixi was back to looking Nushi over, and at this point, the girl wasn't even sitting in her own chair anymore.

"I am not going to eat you, and I did not eat your grandmothers," Nixi said very slowly, and Nushi looked back at me with an aggressive amount of confusion plastered all over her face.

"It's true, I just met all your grandmothers, and they all seem like nice ladies, and I am sure that Nixi will let you visit with them," I said, but Nushi wasn't the one to speak; it was Nixi that started to laugh.

I turned to her with a raised eyebrow, but Nixi just put her hand out to get me to wait until she could get herself under control. Nushi was frozen in place, and it was time to get up and check the meat out, but Nushi wasn't moving.

"Pft, you think that they are nice ladies, but that is only because you have only met them on time, and none of them were able to corner you alone or in pairs. Maybe you should bring Nushi for a visit tomorrow? I am sure that they are all the more comfortable around you, and they will take excellent care of you," Nixi said with a wink, and I looked down at Nushi, stuck with a frozen look on her face.

This reveal must have been just too much for her after living in fear for so long. Now, it was like we were telling her that it has all just been some elaborate joke.

I had no choice but to slide my hand under Nushi's bottom and lift her up with me.

Nushi unconsciously leaned into me and wrapped her arms around my neck as I walked over to the oven. Lidy had signaled to me that they were done, and when I got over there, she handed me a thick potholder and then opened the oven for me.

I smiled and thanked her after I was done with Nushi still resting on me without saying a peep. I pulled the Loose Leaf Dagger and held it out to the meat, giving it mental instructions on how I wanted the meat cut.

Once I was finished, Lidy grabbed the platter of cut meat and followed me to where Jilly was waiting. Before I left the room, I turned back to tell Nixi that I would come in the afternoon with Nushi, but she was gone already.

28