Volume 1 Chapter 16
308 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Suzie and Otokar tried their best to comfort me as I headed back to the village. I wasn't able to fully register Suzie and Otokar's comforting words when I left the riverside. I aimlessly walked around until I arrived at our house, which was reduced to ruins before I knew it.

 

I stared blankly at the broken door for a few seconds. I didn't know whether it was appropriate for me to be here or was it right to come back here. All I knew is that, actually, I don't know what I want. Everything happened so fast. I was just about to give Xandra my birthday gift for her, and now she's dead. My last memory of her was her decreasing figure as I bid her farewell from Matris Amore. If I knew that this would've happened, I would've brought her along with me.

 

She wanted to come with me, didn't she? She and Amber, but I didn't let them.

 

She would still be alive if I brought them. If only I didn't insist on my selfish desires, then Xandra would still be alive. Amber would still be here, and Ashton would still be with her twin sister.

 

Is Amber dead?

 

"Ask Aunt Hulda about the situation of my remaining family members."

 

I command to particularly no one, but One immediately sprung to action. Two then went ahead and opened the already destroyed door before giving way for me to enter. I was a little reluctant to go inside, but I figured being in this place will help me sort out whatever I need to sort out.

 

Battle scars were evident inside the house. Holes filled the walls, wooden debris coming from the furniture spread across the floor. There were even hanging panels from the roof. I ran my hand across the edge of the broken window while Two picked up a useable chair and prepared it for me. I looked out at the scenery outside the window. Now that I know what happened to Xandra, I finally had the chance to get a good look at what really happened.

 

A devastating view of ashes from hell replaced Ziba's general peaceful image. The remaining survivors took the effort to clear out most of the bodies and ruins, but one can still see the dried pools of blood and charred remains of people. Perhaps the only silver lining would be the absence of young bodies. I hope the twins are safe.

 

I headed towards Two and sat on the chair she provided for me. It was facing towards Xandra's room. I didn't know if it was intentional, but I'm glad I got to see our room one last time. The room didn't suffer as much damage as the living room, but I couldn't bring myself to go in for some reason. I let out a sigh as I thought about what was wrong with me. If I wanted to go in, shouldn't I do so? There was no reason for me to be all sentimental towards a dead person. Although I suppose sentimentality would require nostalgia in the first place.

 

I need to set my priorities straight. With Xandra gone, I can't stay here much longer. I need information about what happened to Xandra and the heroes that that bitch of a goddess needs me to eliminate. But first, I need to adjust Alexandria's character. How should I approach the world now that her first love and mother are gone?

 

Alexandria blames herself for Xandra's death because she refused to bring Xandra and Amber with her during her latest expedition, so she will naturally value her family more. She will also close off her heart because of the immense pain she experienced due to the loss of her beloved. She will also bear great animosity towards whatever group that attacked Ziba and will be filled with vengeance to avenge Xandra. Not to mention that she will also be filled with the obsessive drive to get stronger to protect her family and Xandra's legacy, which is the Hundred Islands Pirates.

 

All right. Because of Xandra's death, Alexandria will become distant from her initial relationships and plunge herself into training. She will turn cold and aloof towards everyone else, except for her family, especially Jana. She will become bolder and more mature to appear more grown-up and become fearless to appear brave while discarding her fears. Perfect. 

 

Now that I know how Alexandria should be. Let's find out how my beloved Xandra ended up dead. I stood from my seat and headed outside. As much as I wanted to go straight to my aunt, I didn't know where she is. Thankfully, One came back earlier than I expected. Unfortunately for us, the people stationed there wouldn't allow him to enter since he's a slave, so I need to head there myself. With One leading the way, we headed towards their headquarters.

 

"Little Alex, why are you here?"

 

A random uncle, who I don't remember seeing, blocked our way. I suppose he's the same guy who forbade my One to enter.

 

"I need to see aunt Hulda an' the other elders. Be they 'avin' a meetin' as we speak?"

 

"They're busy. Why don't you come back some other time, little Alex? You should go home and get some rest. I know you're still sad because of our queen's passing."

 

'Our queen's passing,' Xandra's a queen? Why didn't I know that? More importantly, is he seriously stopping me from inquiring about my family's condition? Should I kill him? I can reason that he threatened me first, and I took him down in self-defense. Yes. But before I could unsheath my blade, One and Two raised their barrels and aimed it at the uncle, alarming the rest of the guards.

 

Both of them also raised their weapons before I could pull out mine earlier. Do my slaves understand my line of thinking, or have they adapted to my line of thinking? Regardless, I'm not in the mood to waste any time anyways, so this should work out fine.

 

"Uncle, I know ye mean well. But I need to be at that meeting, an' I wouldn't think twice about attendin' o'er yer dead body. As I would love to avoid meaningless bloodshed, I will turn ye into fish feed if ye get in me way."

 

The uncle gulped as he took a step back, slightly trembling at the sight of two barrels pointed at him.

 

"A-alright! J-just tell your slaves to put those away!"

 

I raise my hand before walking past the uncle. One and Two holstered their arms and followed me inside. I could still hear the uncle's silent curses the further I headed inside. I should've asked him where Hulda and the rest of the remaining elders were meeting. It would be stupid, not to mention a waste of time, if I were to look for them manually.

 

I sent One and Two out to find their location while I waited on the second-floor hallway, thinking about the things I need and want to know regarding Xandra's death. The both of them returned a few moments after and led me to the meeting.

 

My slaves opened the door for me, causing all eyes to fall on me as I entered the room. There were around ten of them, more or less, surrounding a big table filled with papers, maps, and documents. There were even barrels and blades of varying sizes resting on the table for easy access. These shits appear and act like pirates, yet our enemies reduced them to this.

 

"Lady Alexandria, why are you here?"

 

Hulda asked as she placed the paper in her hand on the table.

 

"I need to know what 'appened to Xandra."

 

"Kids such as yerself 'ave no place in this here room. Off with ye before I turn ye to me personal powder monkey."

 

A man in his early thirties interjected as he turned his attention back to the scattered documents in front of him.

 

"Vira! Forgive him, Lady Alexandria. Viraja's on edge because he's lost quite a lot of men while defending Zipporah during the attack."

 

"I 'ave no time to care about scallywags, auntie. I only need to know 'ow did this here 'appen to Xandra."

 

"Ye better watch yer tone there, lass. Else, I'll blow ye to the ground, ye disrespectful bitch."

 

One and Two raised their weapons once more, aiming for the uncle who threatened me. This action raised a domino effect of everyone else eventually raising their arms aiming at each other.

 

"Viraja! Lower your weapons! You're aiming at Lady Xandra's only kin!"

 

"All the more reason why she should address our queen properly! If she be the only kin, then why isn't she 'ere to protect 'er mother?! Huh?!"

 

The uncle's comment just triggered something in me that I snapped. I slammed my hand on the table as I stood up, toppling the chair over behind me. My action caused a hand-shaped crack on the five-inch thick wood table.

 

"Queen this, queen that. All ye be spoutin' be me mother bein' yer queen, well guess fuckin' what?! I lost the woman who gave birth to me, who took care o' me, an' who taught me everythin' I know! 

Ye lost yer ruler?! I lost the only woman I ever tolerated enough to miss 'er in all me life! I know I wasn't 'ere. I don't even know 'ow she died, but I be 'ere now. An' all I want to know be 'ow the fuck did them scurvy dogs get passed me mother's information network that there they damaged Ziba to the point that me Xandra 'ad to die!"

 

The room was filled with silence for a few more seconds, allowing me to regain my composure. I took in a deep breath and looked at Viraja straight in the eye.

 

"So if ye want to put a musket ball between me eyes, I fuckin' dare ye. Pull it."

 

"Viraja. . ."

 

I could see the sweat fall from Viraja's forehead as Hulda placed her weapons back on the table followed by the rest of the group. He and his entourage were the last ones to put their arms away aside from us. We all then took a moment to calm down as I sat back to my seat with One's help. Viraja cursed under his breath as he sat back on his chair with folded arms.

 

"Now that we've all calmed down, I will now discuss what really happened base on Sir Javier's gathered information."

 

 


 

 

After the meeting, I wandered around the village while looking for my crew that I can't seem to find anywhere. I thought my people would be helping around town, but I guess they've locked themselves in Matris Amore, waiting for my orders. Aliya saw me from the crow's nest as I approached my ship, informing my crew of my arrival.

 

When I arrived, my people were gathered in the main deck with anxious looks on their faces, waiting for my orders. I suppose they were as confused as I am about everything that had happened. Ziba was, after all, the Hundreds Islands Pirates' main base. I could see my officer's tear-stained faces as they looked up at me, their eyes brimming with determination and vengeance. I suppose I should have the same look, right?

 

I close my eyes and take in a deep breath as I held on to the ledge with my slaves silently standing behind me. One and Two were essentially my shadows, so it made sense that they would barely interact with anyone else.

 

"First off, I would like to talk to all of you, not as your captain but as Alexandria Avital, daughter of Xandra Avital of Ziba village."

 

I begin while I removed my pirate hat, revealing a black bandana with beading accessories hanging from the side. I place my hat on the side while opening my eyes, refusing to look at the people below me to nail the aggrieved appearance that Alexandria should have.

 

"I understand that there is nothing we could've done to save our people in time. I also know that we were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time when the attack happened. But there is no way that I will sit idly by, waiting for justice to fall on our laps. 

They took away our peaceful lives. They took away our friends and families, and they took away my mother, your queen. Those bastards waged war against us, against Ziba's Hundred Island Pirates!

I swear in Matris Amore, and as your princess, I will burn every single navy pirate in the entire Ogon Continent to the ground and avenge the untimely deaths of our people!"

 

"AYE!"

 

"Now, marauders of Matris Amore, will you help me take justice with our own hands and strengthen the Avital's legacy once more?!"

 

"AYE CAP'N!"

 

I stifle in a smile as I place my hat back on my head, hiding my face. My crew's dedication and passion for my new cause just warmed my heart. I know that I just lost my mother and my village, but seeing them like this makes me proud to be their captain.

 

I head down to the lower decks while trying my best to maintain a poker expression. With my hat back on, I'm the captain Alexandria once more. Captain Alexandria does not smile if it isn't about booze, boobs, or booty.

 

My officers went with me as I headed to my office. We were still wearing solemn expressions as we took our respective seats around a wooden table. I took a deep breath as I stood up and headed to the window. Otokar was still comforting Suzie while Ainur and Brailch were refusing to look up at me.

 

"You guys don't have to look so down. I know Xandra's gone, but such is the way of life. We win some; we lose some."

 

". . . Some?! Is she just someone to you?! I thought you loved her?!"

 

Suzie shouted at me while Otokar tried his best to soothe her. I know why she's mad, but what else am I supposed to say? I can't mope around all day. I've already had my time to cope with her death; should I also wait around until they accept the fact that Xandra's gone?

 

"Suz, ye o' all people should know that there ain't true. . ."

 

"But, O-- !"

 

I need to cut this line of conversation short, else I'll be stuck explaining Alexandria's train of thought.

 

"It was speculated that there could be an insider informing the Navy Pirates. Those bastards knew how to slip past our information net, they knew where our villages are located without us knowing, and they knew their way to the harbor without being detected. Some elders also think that some government officials are also involved."

 

The room was silent for a few moments, with nothing but Suzie's sniffling echoing across the room. I still wasn't over the fact that I'm actually an Avital, a granddaughter of the greatest pirate king that has ever lived. And Xandra, my mother, is the current self-proclaimed pirate queen of Ziba's Hundred Islands Pirates. I knew she was so much more than who she let on, but I didn't expect that she would be the queen of this evil organization. 

 

". . . An. . . An insider. . .?"

 

"How can there be any insider? Ziba loves queen Xandra!"

 

Suzie was the first to break the silence, followed by Brailch. They idolize my mother very much, don't they?

 

"Who the fuck would be stupid enough to sell us out? Ziba be the largest buccaneer organization in the entire Ogon continent. Even them scallywags in the Kuzo empire would still think twice before scuttlin' our ships!" 

 

"That's why I need the four of you to help the elders in finding out who sold my mother out. We need names, and we need them as soon as possible."

 

"Aye Cap'n!"

 

The four of them affirmed before leaving my office. With the four of them finally gone, I went back to my chair and took a seat, resting my back on the velvet cushion. I let out the heaviest sigh I've ever had in my life as Alexandria before placing my hat on the table before me.

 

Hulda said that Xandra had ordered Zilpa and a couple of other officers to evacuate all possible casualties, so my family and the rest of the kids from the village should be safe. They should still be in one of the islands and should be on their way back here in a couple of days. I doubt they'd want them to see their beloved village in this state. 

 

Hulda also told me that she had someone inform Jana and the twins about Xandra's passing. That should save me the trouble in breaking the news to them. I should wait for their arrival instead of going out of my way to visit them. I'll also have Matris Amore help out in the village restoration. They'll need all the help they can get.

 

I sent One out to inform Aliya about my plans for the village. I'm sure they've already prepared the necessary arrangements, but it's still better if the order comes from me. I then head out with Two in tow, heading straight to my dungeon to have a little talk with the saintess. She should know a thing or two about how heroes are summoned here, not to mention I'm a little curious about what the holy kingdom plans to do with those slaves I looted a couple of months ago.

 

I relieve the guards on duty before entering. My prisoners are still full of energy despite being starved once in a while since they can still glare at me and curse me full of vigor. Ignoring their spats, especially the paladin's, I head straight to where we kept the saintess. She laid on the bed that was opposite to me with her back facing towards me. I bet she's regretting her decisions now, doesn't she?

 

Wondering how I should approach this benevolent saintess, I sent Two to fetch me some food and drink. Her last meal should be about two days ago, so she must be famished.

 

Two came back a few minutes later with a tray full of hot bread and soup with a glass of water. Using the key that I took from the guard earlier, I opened the metal door and had Two place the tray on the floor by the bed. 

 

I think she was sleeping before I came here since she flinched when I opened the door. Well, that or she hates me visiting her like this. Now that I'm inside, the voices of the other prisoners went up by a volume. The saintess weakly sat up and faced me while looking at me with eyes full of life in contrast to her ragged appearance. Maybe I was too harsh in including the saintess with the punishments intended for her subordinates.

 

" 'ungry?"

 

I asked while nudging the tray between us with my foot before taking a seat on a makeshift stool Two had prepared for me.

 

". . . No. . ."

 

"I can't 'ave the saintess go 'ungry now, can I? Tell ye what, if ye don't eat, I'll make sure me cooks will 'ave a pleasant time with yer people in exchange fer their wasted efforts. They prepared such a delicious meal fer the venerable saintess, such as yerself, yet ye act so ungratefully to decline me benevolence. Me cooks would be sad to 'ear yer rejection, don't ye think?"

 

I tell her with a smile before crossing my right leg over my left, resting my hands on my knees to complete my cocky temperament.

 

The saintess's eyes widened as she heard my explanation. She fell on her knees in front of me before crawling towards the tray and gobbled down the food as fast as she can. It was entertaining to see a respectable saintess grovel at my feet for the sake of her subordinates. I wonder what her reaction would be when I tell her that her people will walk out of Matris Amore as slaves except for her?

 

"Th-there! I finished the food, so please, spare my people. They've done nothing wrong."

 

"Don't worry, saintess. I may be a marauder, but I be a woman o' me word. I'll 'ave me cooks prepare some grub fer yer men."

 

"Y-you. . . You'll really do that?"

 

"O' course! what kind o' gentleman o' fortune would I be if I don't take care o' me booty, right?"

 

"I. . . I don't know. . . Why. . .why are you here?"

 

"Ahh, that there, well - but before I get to that there, Two, kindly shut them to the sky. It be quite difficult to 'ave a proper conversation o'er all the yellin' an' cursin'."

 

"By your will, master."

 

"An' put up a veil. I don't want any pryin' eyes."

 

"By your will, master."

 

Two closed the steel-barred door behind us and erected a black curtain while the noise beyond our cell soon dissipated. The saintess's expression turned grave while looking up at me. She hasn't stood after eating, so she looked like a subject hesitantly bowing to their queen. With that thought in mind, I couldn't help but smile as I lean forward, placing my chin on the back of my hand with my elbow resting on my thigh.

 

I'm already a villainess in the saintess's eyes, so I might as well act the part.

 

"Oh, calm down, saintess. Between me slaves, Two's the softie. I only told 'er to flay their shriveled tongues, so they should be alive. Well, fer the most part."

 

"What?! You said you'd spare them if I ate the food! Flaying their tongues isn't what we agreed upon!"

 

"It be just an expression, chill. Anyway, I be 'ere to ask ye some questions, an' I would appreciate it if ye answer them all with utmost 'onesty."

 

"I won't answer to any of them, not until I know my people are safe."

 

"Keep that there attitude to the sky, an' there won't be anyone left to be called 'yer people,' so I suggest ye think about yer next words carefully, saintess Etelvina."

 

The saintess grit her teeth while looking at me with eyes full of disdain. She then took a deep breath before standing. She dusted off her clothes and headed back to her bed, gracefully taking a seat. I suppose even saintesses receive some noble classes based on her elegance.

 

"Forgive my rudeness earlier, captain. I haven't had a decent meal in days, and the hunger made me forget my manners for a moment. I hope you won't hold my earlier remarks against me."

 

Seeing the complete 180 of Etelvina's attitude, I couldn't help but let out a hearty laugh before straightening by back. I crossed my left leg over my right as I slightly tilted my head to the side, looking at the saintess in front of me with interest.

 

"O' course not! Shall we proceed with the questions I 'ave in mind? I wouldn't want to take too much o' yer time, saintess Etelvina. I know 'ow busy ye be, especially since ye be a potential saintess 'eaded to the 'oly kingdom. I wouldn't want to keep ye from yer noble duties now, would I?"

 

I asked mockingly with a smile. Etelvina is clearly seething with irritation, yet she can't do anything about it. Her knuckles paled as she clenched her fists. Her eyebrows twitch upon hearing every word coming from my mouth. I'm sure captain Alexandria is having fun teasing this woman for her benefit, how pirate-like of her to play with her food.

 

"By all means, captain. I'm ready whenever you are."

 

"Perfect! Now, me question be; what do ye know about the 'ero summoning?"

 

 


 

 

I spent an hour or two in the dungeon before leaving. One was already waiting with Two when I left the saintess's cell, so the three of us set off towards my office. I had my cooks feed the prisoners and transfer the saintess to a more respectable room out of courtesy. She's still the saintess, after all. I wouldn't want to provoke any goddess, especially since I can't have them cursing me now. Not until I finish everything I need to do in Alealamia.

 

One and Two were outside my office, waiting by the door while I sat comfortably on my chair as I placed my hat on the table. I raised my feet and rested them on the table, with my right leg crossing over my left. I could feel the necklace poking my thigh, so I pulled it out and raised it above my head, examining the dull stone.

 

. . . Xandra. . . really is gone, huh. 

 

While looking up at the red magic crystal, remembering every facial expression I've seen Xandra make, my vision started to blur. I immediately removed my feet off the table and sat up straight. I place the accessory on the table as I felt my face. 

 

My eyes are wet. Why are they wet? Am I crying? Why am I crying? My tears don't make any sense. I have no reason to mourn, so why can't I stop shedding these tears. . .?

 

Why. . .? 

That's because you're sad. What you're feeling right now are emotions. It's part of being human.

Emotions? I'm not supposed to have them, not until I finish the mission.

Perhaps, Xandra has affected you more than you initially thought.

. . . How idiotic.

 

I wipe my tears with the back of my hand before wearing my hat. I stood from my seat with a determined expression, erasing any hint of tears as I exited my office. There's no point in feeling any of these emotions right now. I shouldn't experience them if they'll only turn me into an idiotic lump of meat. If this so-called emotion wants to turn someone dumb, it's better off infecting Alexandria with its stupidity and not me.

 

The world can burn for all I care.

 

 

Heyy, I know this is a little late but here's chapter 16 y'all hahahaha!

The chapter's a little long, but I wanted to properly paint how Alex copes and moves on from the whole Xandra incident. I also aimed for a lighter chapter since the previous one was pretty heavy. . . No worries though, I'll set something up for a tribute towards Xandra when I finish the first volume.

I liked writing Alex's interrogation on Etelvina. I was struggling a little if I should have Alex adapt an aloof nature, or continue on with her pirate personality. I proceeded with the pirate personality because I think their conversation wouldn't be as entertaining if Alex put on her new cold and distant persona, instead of the outgoing captain Alexandria. I hope you liked it!

I'll also be bringing back side characters that were briefly mentioned in the past chapters such as Uri, Eva, and Amber, so please look forward to it!

By the way, if you have any questions towards me or the characters themselves, please don't hesitate to comment them. I always look forward to your comments for every chapter.

Thank you so much for reading!

Do consider following me or supporting me on Ko-fi for faster updates, thank you again!

10