Volume 1 Chapter 17
254 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I spent the following days as if nothing happened. Just as I had initially planned, I immersed myself in my training that lasted longer than before. I begin by running around the woods surrounding the village, followed by muscle training and magic meditation. I honestly have no basis for this meditation. I just thought that mediating similarly to how martial artists build up their power in novels would have some effect here in Alealamia. After meditating, I then do shadow fighting while my slaves battle against themselves and killing stray beasts in the area. As much as I would love to wipe them all out, I can't because of the rules.

 

After having breakfast in Matris Amore, I have a mock battle against my officers - whoever is available. I then spend my lunch with the saintess, discussing everything she knows regarding the holy kingdom and its laws and traditions.

 

I spend the afternoons helping out as much as I can in the village, from gathering the dead bodies to reconstructing the houses. We used sturdier materials instead of wood to prevent a sight like this from occurring again. Hulda and the remaining elders also widened and tightened their security and information nets. Although, they're more akin to a plan at this point since we barely have enough resources aside from wealth.

 

I learned a lot of things during my talks with the saintess. I would always wear the villainess image she had built for me whenever we're together. There were even times that I have teased her out of spite or boredom. Even if she hated it whenever I call for her in my office, she still dutifully answered each summon while wearing a glaring expression. It was pretty different from the usual image a saintess should have.

 

According to her, a prophet had prophesied that the strongest demon king would emerge in the present era. The prophet said that they would eliminate the current demon king and ascend the throne, becoming the embodiment of evil themselves.

 

Because of the prophecy, there have been countless debates on how to prepare for the impending crisis. Unfortunately for the continent, they could never achieve a peaceful discussion due to their opposing views and tacitly decided in making their preparations. It was why the holy kingdom was gathering all potential saintesses in the continent and hopefully cultivate them from an early age.

 

Etelvina isn't quite familiar with the hero summoning, but she's heard stories about it. Most of these stories dictate that heroes are answers to prayers done by saintesses to their gods. If the saintess is devoted enough, the respective god will heed their prayers and grant them a hero from another world. These heroes were said to be individuals of great intellect that they brought multiple advancements in different fields, from ideas to magic and everything in between.

 

Those people must've been bored to death for meddling in worldly affairs. If what the saintess said is true, then I'll have to kill off all intellectual people in the world, and I'll achieve my mission. Problem solved.

 

But wait. Gods summon these heroes because of their most devoted believer's prayers. And these believers stay in spiritual areas like the holy kingdom, so burning down that kingdom should be a more obvious answer. Perfect!

 

Holy Plamya Kingdom, here I come.

 

 

A week after I came back, the boats from the island finally came to the village. Ziba wasn't back to normal yet, but the scenery has drastically improved. I stayed in Matris Amore for a few more minutes and waited for the crowd surrounding the ship to disperse. With my heightened senses in play, I spot the restless twins a few minutes later with Jana behind them, struggling to keep up in traversing the sea of returning refugees.

 

I wonder how they were while living on the island?

 

Determining that it'll take them a few more minutes to arrive, I sent one of my goons to pick them up while I invited Suzie for a friendly bout. An hour or so later, while I was still clashing swords with Suzie, I heard the familiar call of a little girl.

 

"Alex~!"

 

Suzie noticed that I reacted to Amber's call and took the chance to strike me down. Unfortunately for her, just as she swept her cutlass across, I bent backward with my free hand supporting me. Following such momentum, I raised my leg roll back, kicking Suzie's blade away while I was at it, breaking her stance. Before she could regain her balance, I rush in, invading her space, and held her bladed hand while threatening her neck with my scimitar.

 

Seeing Suzie's irritation, I internally smirked before letting her go, sheathing my weapon before receiving the twins with open arms.

 

"Yer getting better at handlin' yer cutlass, cap'n."

 

Otokar commented as he gave Suzie some water.

 

"Luck."

 

Suzie spat before drinking. She acted like a petty loser that made my lucky win all the more satisfying. After a few minutes of hugging and crying - mainly from the twins - I led them inside the decks and left them under Aliya's care while I freshen up. She was always good with kids anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem.

 

As I left my office after my bath, Jana was waiting for me outside. It was surprising to see her waiting for me since we weren't close. We barely talked with one another, let alone spend time with just the two of us together. Don't tell me she's like Xandra? Does she get off by doing it with their children? Like, seriously. The fuck?

 

"Jana?"

 

"Ahh -! A-Alex, umm. . . hi."

 

"Yes?"

 

"I just. . . I know how it feels, losing a parent. And. . . and I know I don't have the right to say anything but -- "

 

What the hell is she talking about, 'Losing a parent'? Is she referring to Xandra? Is she empathizing with me? Does she even know the weight of Xandra's absence? Is the daughter of the boss of a very big organization?

 

" -- you feel. . . You're not alone. You still have Amber, Ashton, and me. I know I can't replace Xandra, but if you want, you can treat me like your mother."

 

What the actual fuck? Did she really refer to herself as Xandra's replacement? She's right. She doesn't have the slightest right, so why the fuck is she talking to me? What a joke.

 

"Ahh. . . Thank you, but I'm fine, really. It still hurts, and I miss Xandra all the time, but I'm getting better. Sorry if I worried you."

 

I tell her with a big smile - fake. As much as I want to berate Jana for her stupidity, I can't because of Alexandria.

 

Unfortunately for me, just when I thought that this whole awkward encounter was over, Jana suddenly hugged me. I wanted to bash her head in for a split second, but the rules stopped me in time. Thankfully it did, otherwise, I'd have no idea how to explain her death.

 

"J-Jana?!"

 

"Shh. . . It's okay. You can cry to me. I can be your new mother if you want. You're not alone anymore. . ."

 

MAYDAY! MAYDAY! SHE'S TOUCHING ME! SOMEONE'S FUCKING TOUCHING ME!

 

I could feel my whole body stiffen up because of Jana's hugging. I could pass this off as being surprised, right? It's not weird to freeze when someone's hugging you, especially when you detest being touched by other people. Eww.

 

Thankfully, that whole harassment ended soon after. I was afraid that Jana would do something even more stupid, so I quickly invited her back to where the kids were. When I arrived, they were sitting on the sofa as Aliya gently talked to them. She's probably reassuring them that I'm fine, given the circumstances. When they saw me, they immediately rushed to hug me - this is why I avoid people when someone I know dies. It gives them legitimate reason to touch me.

 

The twins were crying the entire time as they tried their best to comfort me. They kept telling me how it was all right and that they were always there for me if I ever needed them. Well, it's not like I don't like them hugging me. They're children, so I suppose I can let this slide.

 

It took me the whole afternoon to soothe them to sleep, making me miss my daily discussion with the saintess. It's not like I have much left to say or learn from her anyway. I already know why the summoning exists, what the holy kingdom plans to do with the slaves, and where I should head next. It's about time I move on to the next thing.

 

By the way, if you're wondering, the strongest supporter for slaves is ironically the holy kingdom. Seeing that it is considered a curse, the holy kingdom apparently views this as a punishment from god. They are using slaves as an offering to their gods and use them as tributes for good fortunes in the years to come. I'm actually surprised that human offerings are an open secret for the church. I think Alealamia may be more messed up than earth. Who would've thought?

 

 


 

 

After leaving Jana with the kids, I went back to my office full of exhaustion that I just fell on the sofa. I spent a few more minutes melting into the cushions before I finally gathered enough strength to sit up. While still having a head rush, I summoned my slaves in front of me.

 

"One, earn your spot as the first mate of Matris Amore. Two, look after my family. The both of you will do as instructed until I explicitly say otherwise, savvy?"

 

""By your will, master""

 

"Don't forget to continue maintaining the rules. Leave and don't bother me until tomorrow. I want to rest."

 

I headed to the side room where my bed was as my slaves bowed and left. I remove all my clothing before dropping myself on the mattress. Today was probably the most exhausting day I've ever experienced after living as Alexandria Avital. So many things happened this week, and it seems that shit just keeps on piling up, one after another.

 

First, Xandra's death, then Alexandria's character adjustment. After that, it's Ziba's reconstruction and the organization's reinforcement. Not to mention the whole world-balance mission and hero-killing. Now, there's also the demon king, prophecies, human offerings, clingy family members, and non-stop invasion of personal space!

 

Ugh. . . Can the world just burn. . .?

 

I spend the remaining hours of the day making up for the lost sleep I've accumulated over the week. I didn't understand what was happening to me. While I was still on earth, I didn't care for things that don't directly affect me. I didn't care if the market crashed, as long as I can crash into someone's house to sleep in for the night. I didn't care whether our old neighborhood burned, as long as I can burn through the money given to me by my partners. I didn't even care that my Chad died because of whatever he was doing. As long as I had food in my belly and a roof over my head, I was fine.

 

So why am I caring about all these shits now?

 

Fuck.

 

It was probably past midnight by the time I woke up. I was still naked, laying in the same position I was in earlier. While still in a daze, I reach out beside me, hoping for the same familiar softness to invite me back to dreamland. But there wasn't any warmth beside me. The empty beside side welcomed me as I opened my eyes. That's right. She's gone.

It's the third time this week. . . How annoying.

 

I pound my chest a couple of times to wake me up before freshening up. Instead of my usual captain attire, I wear a plain black shirt, my hoodied jacket I use for training, and dark pants. I wore my calf-length boots and prepared my rucksack. It had a few pieces of clothing, some rations, money, and a dagger. I then fasten my short barrel and scimitar around my waist before heading towards the main deck.

 

Despite it being the high time at night, my men are still busy drinking their asses off. I stopped by the hallway and listened to my men. After confirming that my officers aren't waiting outside, I slip past the drunken and drinking pirates of Matris Amore and head straight towards Ziba's outskirts.

 

Ever since I learned who Xandra really was, it got me into a lot of thinking that I needed a week to sort everything out. My mother was the daughter of the most infamous pirate ever ruled the seven seas. I grew up surrounded by pirates, thieves, murderers, rapists, slavers, and more human scum with the mindset that looting is the way of life. I'm also the hero of the demon of lust and temptation, and I'm out to kill all heroes sent by - who I can only guess - righteous gods.

 

Why am I trying so hard to be a hero when there's nothing but misdeeds and mischiefs? I'm no hero. Never was, and I doubt I ever will be. I should really stop thinking about useless shit.

 

I pound my chest a couple more times as I traverse the dark roads of the village. A little while after, I spot a group of people waiting by the village entrance. They looked like they were huddled together. They're probably a couple of buccaneers waiting to become three sheets to the wind. And I thought I can smoothly leave. So much for a midnight rendevous, huh?

 

I turn my back and searched for another way out. Thanks to my daily training around the village, I was easily able to leave half an hour later. While I was busy tidying myself, I heard some rustling from behind. I turn my head, ready to aim my barrel at it, only to see Otokar and Suzie behind me, as if they were looking for me.

 

"Not even goin' to say farewell, Cap'n?"

 

"The sneaking around didn't give it away?"

 

"Har har har, yer just like yer mother, Cap'n."

 

"My mother?"

 

"Mmm. Her late majesty ran away, just such as yerself. An' just like with 'er, I caught to the sky with ye. Ye shouldn't set sail so suddenly like that there, Cap'n."

 

"Why and where did she go?"

 

"We lived in the woods fer three years before goin' to Iahel - one o' the labyrinth cities. We joined the SF an' spent another three years there before comin' aft."

 

"Just as Suzie said."

 

Xandra was an adventurer? I thought she lived her whole life as a pirate?

 

"Just as Suzie said. Ye know, Cap'n, Xandra ne'er wanted ye to become a gentleman o' fortune like us. She wanted ye to go to Iahel an' enter the SF school to eventually join the guild. She wanted ye to take to the sky anythin' aside from a gentleman o' fortune, yet ye loved farin' briny deep."

 

". . . The SF guild, huh. . ."

 

I still have time anyway, but being an adventurer would require me to violate rule # 10. Should I be a mercenary instead? I have experience in killing people anyway. How hard can that be?

 

"Anyway, we be just 'ere to say farewell, an' wish ye jolly luck with whatever ye decide doin'. I'll take care o' Matris Amore while ye be gone, Cap'n."

 

"I'll take care o' the twins while ye be gone, an' 'ere--"

 

Suzie shoved something to my chest that fell on my hands as she retracted her hand. It was Xandra's necklace. I thought I had left this in the office. Why is she giving it to me?

 

"-- what be ye thinkin' by leavin' that there? Just so ye know, I won't avast the twins or the others from hatin' ye after ye pull this shite."

 

Suzie spat before leaving. I really don't understand her. What does she want from me? If she likes Xandra so much, why didn't she come after her earlier?"

 

"Suzie she. . . she seems 'arsh but she means well, especially since ye be Xandra's daughter. She be just, well. . . She be also mad because ye be also Xandra's lubber. I don't 'ave much to give ye since I be sure ye 'ave everythin' ye need, so I'll just give ye this here."

 

Otokar handed me three notebooks tied together, but more importantly, he knows I'm with Xandra?! What the fuck?! I thought she was a closeted lesbian?!

 

"Them be Xandra's diaries. It might be painful, but I figured these will 'elp ye remember 'er."

 

I accepted the stack and silently placed them inside my rucksack. I didn't want to spend more time in case he'll worsen the situation, so I bowed while tearing up, whispering a 'thank you so much' before leaving for good.

 

Can't they see that the very reason why I left is to forget about everything that's making me human? Yet here they are, shoving Xandra's memories right to my face. how annoying.

 

 


 

 

In a bustling inn where people from walks of different lives gather, a woman in her early twenties was drinking on a large mug by the bar. While she was enjoying her conversation with her companions, she heard a faint rumor about a recent bounty being claimed.

 

"Hey, hey! Did you hear? Another pirate bounty got fulfilled."

 

"Really?! Who?!"

 

"Y'know, those Avitals!"

 

Her ears rang and choked on her drink as she heard the faint rumors. She immediately apologized to her friends and headed to the guild. With her thoughts filled with nothing but the Avital she knew, she ran with all her might, ignoring all those she bumped and left with an insincere apology.

 

The woman slammed the doors open and headed straight to the counter, cutting through the line of people.

 

"Aby! I need to talk to Aby, is she there?!"

 

"Woah, calm down! What's wrong?"

 

"The pirate bounty, Avital, is it true that it was claimed?!"

 

The woman dressed in a uniform was silent for a moment with a downcast look. She couldn't bring herself to inform the panicking girl in front of her of the loss of her closest friend.

 

"Aby! Talk to me!"

 

"I'm. . . I'm sorry. . ."

 

No matter how painful it was for either of them, the woman still needed to hear it. She pulled out a document from one of the drawers behind her and gave it to the fretting girl.

 

The girl received the document with trembling hands. It was a wanted poster of the woman who she's all too familiar with, with the word "CLAIMED" stamped right across the paper, staining her beautiful image. Unable to hold herself back, the girl crumpled the paper and threw it away before storming off.

 

With tears staining her cheeks and sorrow creeping in her heart, the words of the most dazzling woman she's ever met echoing in her mind,
"I'll come back after I've surpassed my father, so wait for me, Gez."

 

 

 

 

Eyoo~~ so here's the end of the first volume. Well, it isn't my best chapter as a volume ender but yeah. . . I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I loved writing it!!

I know I said I'll bring back a few side characters, but I scrapped the idea since it would take up too much word count and I wanted to focus on how Alex takes her next step, so yeah hehehe.

I'll probably take a break for a week or two while I fill in this story's glossary. I felt like I need to do it since I mostly write using 1st POV so there's most likely a lot of things that are hard to understand.

Anyway, thanks again for reading, and do consider supporting me in Ko-fi or following me here in SB!

The tribute I intended for Xandra will be in the next chapter.

8