Chapter 5 – Feast
1.7k 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

         As expected, my mother was back and busy cooking in the kitchen at this time.  As soon as she saw me, the first words she asked was.  "Are you not with Jiang Li?"

          I sweated.  "Avoid sticking together to maintain freshness in the relationship."  Who wanted to be with him!

          My mother sharply reprimanded me.  "The two of you are fresh enough.  You only met yesterday."

          I helped my mother to peel the onions and said.  "It's nothing.  Anyway, after we are married, we will be staying together every day."  After marriage, I need not bother with him…..this was my heartfelt thoughts.

          My mother took the onions from me and said apologetically.  "I thought you were with him, so I just cooked for myself."

          Me:   "….."

          My mother did not like to eat leftover food nor waste it, so when she cook, she would cook according the number of people present unless under special circumstances such as the number of people was not known which of course was a rare situation.

          At this point, I really wanted to flip the table to vent my anger.  Xiao Qi Ling (my mother's name), are you really my mother? …….. Are you in such a hurry to send me off?

          My mother took in my anger in her eyes, then took out some dried noodles and began to cut some vegetables.  Although I was more than half a head taller than her but her aura was absolutely stronger than mine…..definitely a head higher.

          I think the reason God created me was to make one person more, as a target for contempt to satisfy their proud ego.

          My future husband despised me, my buddy despised me and my mother despised me! ....... Should the United Nations consider giving me a special award for dedication?

          With my head bowed, I headed back to the living room, sat on the sofa and watched TV.  Glancing at my phone, I picked it up to check whether anyone remembered me.

          Well, there were several missed calls.  I opened and looked.  Oh my god, this guy was really relentless. 

          Jiang Li again.

           I checked my text messages…..only one…..from Jiang Li:  What are you doing?

          Inexplicably I felt guilty, afraid to call him back and so I sent a text message.  Casually, with thick-skin, I made a preemptive move:  Why do you always call me when I am not around?

          Quickly he replied:  Ba Jie? (The pig-headed character in the Journey to the West best known for his laziness and stupidity)

          This I understood.  Ba Jie's only strong point was his rake.  I became angry and answered:  If you have anything to say, say it quick.  I am very busy.

          JL:  Inconvenient to answer the phone?

          I hesitated, did a bit of calculation, guessed talking to him would only cost over a dollar, so generously I called him back.

          The ring tone sounded once and Jiang Li picked up the call.

          Me:  "Don’t tell me you just wanted to listen to my voice, right?"  He is gay so it did not matter if I flirted with him a little.

          JL:  "Your imagination is very vivid…....arrange a time to bring your family and my family together for a meal."

          Probably because of his praise for my imagination, my brain temporarily stopped working.  I asked foolishly.  "What about you?"  After saying that, I came to my senses and immediately regretted but when I was about to say something to save myself, Jiang Li spoke. 

          JL:  "I didn't know I married a foolish wife."

          JL:  "Please give me face in front of my parents.  Do not let them doubt my taste."

          I was angry and said cynically:  "Sorry, goods sold are not returnable."     

          He calmly said.  "I didn't think of returning because I hadn't thought of using."

          I remained calm.  Anyway, it was said that generally, gays do not like women so being despised by him was normal.  So, I reminded him.  "Then when other people want to use, you are not to interfere."  In case one day a normal male beauty falls from the sky onto my head, it would not be nice not to allow that person to use, right?

          He did not seem to want to discuss this matter with me anymore, so he reverted back to the original topic.  "Then, when will it be convenient for your side?  How about tonight?"

          "Wait a minute."  I covered my phone and shouted toward the kitchen.  "Mom, tonight someone is treating us to a feast, do you want to go?"

          My mother's voice accompanied by the sound of frying vegetables in a wok came over.  "If the food is delicious, I will go!"

          I put the phone back to my ear and said to Jiang Li.  "Done, time and place you decide.  My mother does not like western food, anything will do but the main point is, the chef's skill must be absolutely perfect.  My mother is very picky."

          Jiang Li gave a sound "En.", then ended the call.  It was like the two of them had come to an agreement and he did not even say goodbye. 

          Thinking that He Zi would have her boyfriend to keep her company at night, so I did not have to worry about her.  With my heart at ease, I went to dinner with my mother.

          The restaurant where we were to go for dinner was not far from my house.  It was a Chinese restaurant that my mother had often praised, of course, the actual fact was she had only been there once.  And because of this……my mother who had never seen Jiang Li, had already put on a slight smile of satisfaction for him.  By her side, I had to keep reminding her.  "Mom, be a little restrained." 

       Jiang Li's parents seemed younger than I had expected.  When I saw his parents, my heart understood……no wonder Jiang Li is so good-looking, it is definitely hereditary!  His mother is really a beauty, although she is older now, her charms could still be vaguely glimpsed.  Especially her skin, it was well-maintained.  His father is also very handsome and exuded a matured old man's stability and wisdom due to vicissitudes of life and lastly, all these were said in a complimentary manner of speech.

          After everyone had greeted each other, my mother took the lead by taking hold of his mother's hand and asked her how she maintained her skin.  Although his mother looked subtle and dignified, which woman in this world did not like beauty, not to mention such a beauty like her.  So her eyebrows revealed her happiness and she shared her intimate beauty experiences with my mother.   

          Actually, as a woman, I should also join in with the beauty camp but taking into consideration if I did that, his dad would be left in the cold.  I had always been a sensible child, so I chatted with his dad politely. 

          Unfortunately, because of my mother's actions (I insist on this because her actions resulted in two clearly divided camps), Jiang Li was left out.

          Uncle Jiang is a talkative person, amiable and loved to laugh.  His laughter was very kind, in short, compared to his son, he was much better. 

          Through the conversation, I learned that Jiang Li's parents were retired high school teachers.  His father taught mathematics and his mother taught literature.  Sigh…..when I took my college entrance exam, I scored only fifty marks for my mathematics and literature.  That time I had to write a composition of eight hundred words which was more painful than having constipation and now the mere sight of a language teacher would make my hair stand on ends. 

          Although this language teacher is a kind beauty and also my mother-in-law but I……the college entrance exam brought me the destruction of irreversible damage, so I did not expect anything.  So, when Jiang Li's mother looked at me, I just smiled at her, did not speak and smiled until the muscles on my face were stiff as if frozen.

          Jiang Li sat down by my side, suddenly leaned into my ear and whispered.  "Are you jealous of my mother's beauty?"

          I picked up a piece of red pepper, put it into his bowl, turned my head towards him and he cooperated by lowering his ear to my lips, so I explained.  "I have a language phobia."

          He gave a low laugh.  At a glance it was a fake laugh, guessed due to the presence of his parents, he deliberately made a public display of affection.  I was speechless, this guy had really extended a lot of care and thought on this.   

          I raised my head and was just about to chat with Uncle Jiang about Jiang Li's childhood stupid pranks to be used later when I bicker with him, at the same time, the three parents were no longer chatting.  They were giving me and Jiang Li, an ambiguous look.  Obviously, Jiang Li's intimate action just now was well received by them. 

          Although I was thick-skinned but no matter how, I was still an old virgin, so my face grew 'hot'.  I picked up a piece of winter melon and put it into the beautiful language teacher's bowl and in a small mosquito-like voice, said.  "Auntie, eat some vegetables…..this is good for beauty."   I also picked up a piece of bitter melon and put it into the Old Jiang handsome guy's bowl, smiled at him and said.  "Uncle, eat some vegetables….bitter melon relieves internal heat."  Elderly people usually need the relief of internal heat.

          Then my mother did not move, stared at my chopsticks and waited for me to pick her some food.  I especially wanted to pick up that piece of bone for her but was afraid she would reprimand me on the spot, so I avoided her eyes and lowered my head to continue eating.

          At this moment, Jiang Li picked up a piece of beef and put it into my mother's bowl, in a gentle, polite tone, said.  "Auntie, try this beef……see whether they are braised to perfection."       

          My mother immediately smiled and put it in her mouth, chewed twice, nodded and laughed.  "Very well…..better than my cooking."

          I pondered and knew what she actually wanted to say.   'Acceptable and can be compared to mine.'  Actually, in front of her son-in-law's family, she was too embarrassed to be narcissistic. 

          So Jiang Li flattered her to express the hidden meaning in her words.  "Certainly cannot be compared with your cooking……Xiao Yan had praised your cooking skill."

          Suddenly my mother became a splendid morning glory, rewarded me with a look.  "Xiao Yan is always talking nonsense."

          Wipe sweat…..I, I, I……I only just said that you….are….picky…..with….food….

          Jiang Li continued.  "Auntie, for so many years, Xiao Yan had made you worry for her, is that right?"  Whilst he was talking, he seemed to give me a loving glance which misled everyone's audio and visual senses.   

          On mentioning this, my mother was instantly spirited for she was best at exposing me! 

          This time I was really in grief and was speechless.

          Fortunately, my mother was not totally muddle-headed.  Apparently, she was afraid that Jiang Li and his family would dislike me and end the marriage, so she just mentioned a few typical matters which would not tarnish my image.  However, this way they had found common ground to chat, competed to expose their children's unruly escapades but more on the cute side.  Of course, the more shameful episodes were kept secret as everyone was not a fool.

          So the table setup was changed……I and Jiang Li were left in the cold.

          Jiang Li was shrewd.  It seemed like he was in control of the whole situation, with a few words he was able to change the direction of their conversation.   I did not know if he was the same in his work and if that was the case, then his BMW should not be rented, right?

          My mind was in chaos when suddenly Jiang Li leaned into my ear and said.  "Where is your father?"

          I noticed that whatever he wanted to say to me, he would only whisper to me, in order not to let others hear.  No wonder it always looked as if we were having flirtatious sweet talks, although I did not like it, I still had to accept.

          So I moved close to his ear and whispered.  "Tell you a secret."

          Jiang Li gave an acknowledgment.  "En." and waited for me to continue.

          Me:  "Actually, my mother was like Jesus's mother, both became pregnant without a man." 

          I think there are some matters when a person wants to tell you, he will tell you and if he does not want to tell you, it will be better not to ask…..like my father's case.

          Jiang Li looked at me with understanding in his eyes, then whispered.  "I have to tell them."

          Suddenly I understood.  My father did not turn up today and guessed Jiang Li's parents would ask him about it when they return home…….why Xiao Yan's father did not come today?  Since I was already Jiang Li's wife, how could he not know about this matter?  He could not be giving an answer as 'wait, I will ask…..", as this would blow our cover and our marriage would also be questionable.  His parents would think that I did not trust their son and to them, this type of daughter-in-law was unacceptable.

          As expected, Jiang li was more attentive to details, I relaxed and said.  "Divorced and left when I was in high school."

          In order to give a good performance, after listening to my words, Jiang Li patted my head intimately and the two of us did not speak after that.

3