003: Genius child
190 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

From that day on Claude spent his days relaxing, thinking and eating, enjoying the luxuries of life. Life was simple and peaceful in the Estrande household. Maybe this was because he was a child, but he had nothing to worry about, leaving the days going by swiftly.

After a further 3 months Claude was now capable of standing on his own without any help or support.

'I can finally walk. Yes, I can walk! Let's go. Now that I'm able to walk the next thing I need to accomplish is being able to run. I've finally made progress so I can't stop now.'

Filled with a rekindled passion, Claude continued on his practice trying to run this time. He would often fall and stumble, but his mother would always be there to pick him up when that occurred.

'Come on stupid body run for goodness state!'

Although, he was disappointed with his 'slow rate' of progress, his name was travelling quickly around the outer circle of the mansion. It was the talk of the town between the maids and servants, and such a conversation was going on now.

[Maid 1: "Have you seen that new boy moving around, rumours are that he's only 6 months old and he already knows how to walk and is starting to run."]

[Maid 2: "You must be kidding me already! Running, surely you jest Catherine?"]

[Catherine: "Lucy, am I the type to make tasteless jokes? I saw him running towards his mother"]

[Lucy: "Wow he must be a genius!"]

Feeling a bit left out of the conversation. A young brown-haired maid raised her hand trying to enter into the conversation. She too, knew of this child’s genius. Witnessing a spectacle that was rather unbelievable.

[Maid 3: "Well I haven't told anyone this yet but around a month ago. I was cleaning one of the library rooms and I swear, I found him trying to reading a book about the Dizerone continent."]

All the surrounding maids who were listening into the conversation looked at her as if she had gone crazy. Walking at 6 months was impressive, running was on genius level. However, reading and a complex book at that, they just couldn't believe it, it was simply impossible.

Feeling worried for her Catherine put her hands around the young maid who had hesitantly made the statement making sure to look her closely in the eye.

[Maid 3: "Trust me when I say I saw it, I saw it. You have to believe me guys."]

[Catherine: "Melinda I think that you need to have a rest and lie down. Maybe, all of this work is making your brain go crazy and making you imagine things. Don't you agree Lucy?"]

[Lucy: "Yeah I agree with you Catherine. Work can be stressful Melinda, there's no shame in resting once in a while.  Don't worry I'll take up some of your workload"]

The two of them looked at Melinda like a lost puppy and ushered her to go rest in the maid’s quarter. The young girl tried to object and make them listen to what she was trying to say, however it was of no use. They seemed to have their own ideas running through their mind that she was going crazy.

[Melinda: 'I hate my job']

A year later

In the corner of the library Claude was holding in his hands a large dusty book with the title ' Beginners Guide to Magecraft ', with a massive smile plastered on his face.

It had taken him countless hours of trial and error to get this book. Again, and again, he had to tell his father ‘Magic' in a cute voice before he gave him the book. Not only that but he had to also learn how to read the language, by reading easier books. 

He remembered an oddly specific case that happened last year, where he was trying to learn vocabulary from a book about the Dizerone continent and a small maid had caught him trying to read a line with a look of shock on her face. As soon as they made eye contact, she seemed like she'd met a ghost and ran away as quickly as she came.

'I wonder how she is now', reminisced Claude. He hadn't seen her after that incident at all, perhaps she was avoiding him.

Anyway, it hadn't taken him too long to learn to read, perhaps because it was a reincarnation perk, however it had still been a bothersome chore. He could confidently, read and understand certain simple words but he still struggled with the more complex ones, and so far, his speaking was behind his reading in terms of progress.

'I don't know of any young children that prioritise reading, however from the fragments of knowledge I have, I do know that literacy rate was high in my old world. Right now, it's important to learn and memorise vocabulary, I can then have father read the words out to me later so that I can improve my pronunciation and speech.'

Realising that time was ticking Claude woke up from his reverie. He looked at the book he was holding like it was a long lost child, holding it as firmly as his little grubby hands could. Fearful that if he left his eyes of it for a second that it would escape and wouldn't return. 

The young boy then turned his gaze towards his father who, was currently sitting on a chair reading what seemed to be important documents. A disappointed look covered his face as he shook his head.

'Dad do you know how long it took to get this book, you kept on trying to give me those sh*tty children's books about fairies, knights and dragons. It took forever to get this, although I can't completely blame you, after all what 1.5 years old can read a magic book. Anyway, let bygones be bygones, it’s time to read this book. If I don't start now, then I'll never get to finish it.'

Saying that Claude finally decided to open the book that had been sitting in his hands. It was time to find out what useful knowledge it contained, and Claude could hardly hide his growing excitement.

 

 

 

7