Chapter 8
936 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

         Without guessing, I already knew the two people's reaction and sure enough, the interior of the car was filled with anger, emitting from the owners. 

          Mocking at the vehicle speeding off, I threw a glance at the departing car, restrained my laugh and turned my eyes towards the neon lights on the billboards.

          There was a strange feeling in my heart which was not easily dispelled.  I then focused my attention on the glittering words on the billboards but found that I had lost my concentration on reading the words. 

          There was a sound of screeching brakes and the Audi car had stopped about ten meters down the road.  The car door suddenly opened and a gloomy-faced Fu Chen stepped out of the car.  As he walked towards me, he began pulling off his tie, taking big footsteps. 

          Weiyi quickly opened the door and climbed out of the car as she screamed.  "Fu Chen, come back here!  Do you hear?  Come back!"

          Weiyi wanted to follow him but Fu Chen turned around and snapped at her.  "Don’t follow me!"

          Weiyi like a small sheep could only stomp her feet from where she stood, her eyes redden as she looked towards us, grieving like a daughter-in-law.

          I frowned.  I pretended not to see the hazy look in Fu Chen's eyes and stubbornly refused to look at him. 

          In the past, Fu Chen had said, I was like the wind who did not know my place.  When there was a mountain on fire, I would fan the flames without consideration, not fearful and with a desire for life.

          Perhaps it was my indifferent expression that made Fu Chen angrier.  As he stood in front of me, his warm smile was missing and his face only showed anger. 

          I was surprised as I had never seen him so angry before as if he was a different person.

          He held me by my shoulders and behind his glasses, his eyes were black and shiny.  He shouted at me.  "Fang Liang Liang, do you know what you are doing?  What do you actually want?  I am asking you, what do you actually want?  Do you know that I would be better off dead than alive?" 

          I glanced at his hands that were grasping my shoulders.  I let out a laugh.  "Doctor Fu, you are so successful and is going to be my dear cousin brother-in-law.  Why talk about death and such wretched words, too."

          There was a light flashing in his eyes and if I was not mistaken, it showed a flash of pain.

          Knowing that he could also feel pain, I smiled more brilliantly, so much so that my body trembled slightly.

          His hands held my shoulders in a tight grasp, his strength was exceptionally great but he still did not let go and he muttered.  "Why do you have this type of personality?  Why did we have to come to this point, today?  At that time, why didn’t you explain?  I just wanted you to explain to me, is that so difficult?  Why do you want to make yourself look so bad and obviously you are not."

          The knowledgeable Doctor Fu, unexpectedly for the first time uttered so many 'whys.'  Thinking back, when I was young, I did not actually get to read that book 'one hundred thousand whys'.  I quietly stared at him, my heart silently reprimanding him, you are so foolish to make me feel sad.

          Despair and helplessness dominated his emotions.  This Fu Chen was not the refined, gentle Doctor Fu that I knew but more like a violent lion that wandered on the great grassland.

          I speechlessly stared at him, letting him shake me violently but stubbornly biting my lips refusing to open my mouth.

          "Is that damn job so important?  When you so desperately fought for other people, disregarding everything, have you ever thought of me?  Is it so difficult to be content with what you have and as long as you ask, I will support you for the next half of your life…… Fang Liang Liang, look at me!  I want you to look at me!"

          Even though he roared into my ears, I still rebelled, stubbornly refusing to open my eyes.

          I was afraid to look into his pair of eyes that were filled with so much pain, silently telling me how cruel I was, pushing him away to the point of devastation, beyond recovery.

          Fei Ge was correct, I had to blame myself for kicking away a good man.  I was a masochist, not only capable of hurting myself but also hurting others.  Whoever falls in love with me would be unlucky for eight lifetimes, destined to live a confused life.

          Even a good man like Fu Chen had turned away from me in anger, who would fall in love with me?

          In despair, I heard myself dryly speaking calmly and sadly.  "I thought by not explaining, you would understand but it seems like I was wrong.  Last month, Lao Sun had gastric cancer and passed away.  He had been an informant for his whole life but was scolded by his son and wife for being a wimp and a spineless coward.  After his death, they only found out that he had made so many dynamic contributions."

          I slowly turned my head and sadly looked into his eyes.  "A lot of things once started is unstoppable.  Even though I know my loss would be tremendous, but I can't do as I wish.  Sorry, Fu Chen, I will never be the woman you want in your life."

          The pain buried in Fu Chen's eye slowly seeped out, drop by drop, soaking into my heart.

          I laughed, my eyes feeling slightly hot.  "I am just like you.  As a doctor, you are already very tired and if you still worry about me, I'm afraid your life will be shortened by a few years.  Weiyi is more docile than me and maybe Heavens had arranged your destiny whereby you can only be my brother-in-law."

          Fu Chen dejectedly releases his hold on my shoulders, his face grim and sad.  "Fang Liang Liang, you are the cruelest woman I have ever seen."

          I was shaken and gave him a bleak smile.  "Be happy that you found out early."

          Fu Chen looked dispirited.

          In the distance, a silver Mercedes Benz came to a stop and Kang Zixian stepped out, thoughtfully looking at the stalemate between me and Fu Chen.

          I slightly bowed my head and said.  "The person I'm waiting for is here.  Goodbye."

          I brushed against his shoulder as I walked passed him but suddenly he fiercely pulled me back.  Fu Chen threw a glance at Kang Zixian who was standing a few meters away.  Just like in the past, every time when we part, he would gently admonish me, his voice without any violence like now and very low which stirred the deepest feelings in my heart.

          "Promise me to protect yourself well."

          Without waiting for my reply, he walked sadly with heavy steps towards the direction of Weiyi.  As he walked further and further away, he left me with feelings of being so cruel and lonesome.

          A slight drizzle started.  My hand slowly moved up to shield my face and I cried softly and silently. 

          But I only shed two drops of tears and now, even the time for pondering over lost love was a luxury.  The most pressing urgency now was to save Dong Zi from the hands of Deng Loong.  I recollected myself, wiped off my tears and turned around to look for Kang Zixian.

          But just as I turned around, I crashed into a***chest.  It gave me a fright and I looked up to find Kang Zixian looking at me with his expressionless face.  His black beautiful, eyes were trying to fathom without any warmth.

          The tears on my face have yet to dry as I took a step backward and laughed.  "Do not misunderstand.  You came too close, I did not mean to throw myself at you."

          He was silent but he gave me a sense of oppression.

          He was not someone easy to get along with.

          "Let's go."  I walked past him to go to his car and at the same time, dialed Dong Zi's cellphone but it was still turned off.

          "Miss Fang looks like someone with a lot of stories."  He said faintly behind me.

2