TFA1 1.2 – Night Drops
276 6 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

TFA1 1.2 - Night Drop

CO Office, 4th Floor of Main Building, Harley Quinn MOA.

07:58, 24 Jan 2025

Gen. (Ret.) Randall O'Neil casually looked at the digital-display the size of a billiard table, on which Amstell Continent's map was displayed.

The Amstell continent's shape was similar to Australia but with a larger size, where right in the middle stood Harley Quinn Main Operating Airbase.

From Harley Quinn to the south coast extended the 1800 km long South High Road, which was protected by nine Forward Operating Camps. While to the east coast extended the 1850 km long East High Road, which was protected by ten FOCs.

The East and South High Road were then connected by Southeast High Road which ran along the coast to the southeast of Amstell Continent and was protected by eight FOCs.

The area surrounded by the three high roads was labeled as Southeast Triangle, wherein the center stood Pope MOA, surrounded by five Medium Operating Base as first perimeter and twenty seven Forward Operating Camps as outer perimeter.

Every military site in Southeast Triangle was built to protect Nouel Farmland, warehouse, and processing facilities for Nouel Biogas based on Operation Southeast Triangle. However, up to nine months after TF Amethyst arrived on Amstell Continent, Harley Quinn was the only site that was successfully built.

The reason was because Ground Combat Group did not yet have sufficient assets to protect the operation, from Dangerous Wildlife which forced local residents to evacuate the northeast, east, and southeast sides of Amstell Continent and call it Desolate Land.

Two examples of the most common and very aggressive Dangerous Wildlife were Black Eagle and Gray Wolf.

The Black Eagle had an average height of 5.6 meters with a wingspan of 20.2 meters, capable of flying to an altitude of 3500 meters with a top speed of 360 km/h. Its beak could perforate Humvee's hood with ease, while its claws could make the Humvee's roof look like it's made of cardboard.

It took a Stinger or 20 rounds of 12.7 mm ammunition to bring down the giant eagle that had killed fourteen TF Amethyst's personnel.

For Gray Wolf, the first contact occurred on the 14th night after TF Amethyst arrived at Amstell Continent. At that time, the night picket officer decided to alert all his members, after seeing suspicious movements in the bushes 200 meters from Outer Protection Line.

At first, he thought his instinct had missed because until morning there had been no incident, before finally he received a report that one of the guards was missing and there were bloodstains and wolf tracks.

A guard on duty who was an ex-Scout Sniper stated firmly that from the size and depth of the trail, the wolf that visited them weighed 400 kg.

The remains of the unfortunate personnel who were eaten by the giant wolf were found four hours later, on a slope 6 km from the OPL.

A few days later a gray wolf the size of a stallion was found dying after being exposed to eight Claymore's at close range. Since then the Claymore field has been expanded and its distribution pattern became denser.

Knock knock!

Before Gen. O'Neil could respond Vex had come in first, still looking disheveled from last night's overtime.

"Southeast Triangle Operations' revision, we finally have the minimum strength to get started."

"Thanks for the hard work."

Gen. O'Neil accepted the revision with a smile, and Vex nodded before walking out.

---

MCG Headquarters, 2nd Floor of Building Bravo, Harley Quinn MOA.

14:00, 26 Jan 2025

As soon as Colonel Maddox entered the room, Mobile Construction Group's officers immediately surrounded him.

"How did the meeting go?"

"Can we start Oplan Southeast Triangle?"

"We already have materials to build ten metro cities?"

Colonel Maddox responded to the hail of inquiries from his men with an ear-to-ear smile. "We'll start with South High Road and nine Focs that protecting it, continuing with construction from the south to the north."

Major Callum immediately frowned before saying, "Instead of choosing a pattern from outside to inside, Why not start with Pope Moa, then use it as a base for logistical support before expanding outside?"

Colonel Maddox took a deep breath before explaining, "Nature Environment Group insists that we have to minimize the wildlife casualties. Therefore, we will move from the south and herding the wildlife to the Northeast Triangle which will be used as a wildlife reserve."

"Why do I feel as if they don't mind if we are the ones who get killed by these dangerous beasts?"

Lieutenant Juan grumbled sourly, and Colonel Maddox responded.

"I feel that way too, but since General O'Neil agreed to their request, we have no choice."

Major Callum nodded three times before saying, "Let’s talk the details then."

---

An Airspace, 821 km south of Harley Quinn MOA

23:06, 28 Jan 2025

Under the dark night sky, 16 units of C-130J Super Hercules flew in two rows at an altitude of 550 meters. Inside the lead Hercules on the left, Captain Stark was busy studying the intelligence from combat control team's personnel and making calculations.

He had to jump with seven of his men, two MCG personnel, 1 unit LAV Shorad, 1 unit M1151 Ripper, and 2 logistical pallets.

The dropping zone was a hill with a height of 110 meters, where the top was flat and wide enough to receive a jump in one pass.

CCT personnel deployed an hour earlier stated that there was no Dangerous Wildlife activity at the dropping zone, but that did not mean the hill was safe. As the field situation was always flowing. 

It was not impossible that when he and the rest of the team arrived on the ground, they were greeted by Gray Wolf who enjoying the CCT personnel as yummy snacks.

Meanwhile, even though the Black Eagle did not have night vision, that did not mean on Amstell Continent there were no flying predators with night vision.

And even if a P-8 Poseidon and six F/A-18E Super Hornets were deployed to secure the airspace, they would still be too late to react if a nocturnal flying predator took off from a location close to the dropping zone.

'Our life and death depend on how quickly we activate the weapons system on LAV Shorad and M1151 Ripper, then form a perimeter with personnel from other Hercules.' 

Captain Stark then approached MCG's personnel who were about to jump in with him and said, "Two construction workers from MCG, listen carefully!"

Hearing Captain Stark spoke in a serious tone, Lieutenant William and Specialist Monroe instantly nodded.

"The wind above the dropping zone is very strong. You will move too far if you open your chute too early, and we can't go to search you before the perimeter is formed. Meaning, maybe we will only find your remains. Do you understand?"

"Sir!"

Lieutenant William and Specialist Monroe answered in unison, albeit in slightly shaky voices.

"Good."

Captain Stark nodded in satisfaction as the cabin lights turned red and Loadmaster shouted.

"Five minutes."

Captain Stark immediately ordered a final inspection, and before long Loadmaster shouted again.

"Two minutes."

The jumpers immediately took their positions, while Super Hercules' ramp door slowly opened.

From his position, Capt. Stark saw Super Hercules behind them climb up to a position 60 meters higher than Super Hercules in front of it.

"Good to go!"

Together with the signal from the Loadmaster, the cab lights turn green. Without delay, Loadmaster activated rails that deliver logistic pallets out of Hercules's ramp door.

The logistics pallets flew out smoothly and the parachute expanded perfectly, followed by M1151 Ripper, LAV Shorad, MCG personnel until finally it was Captain Stark's turn.

"Good luck."

The Loadmaster said to Captain Stark, who answered him with a small nod, then lowered NVG before his eyes and jumped out.

"I Hope everything goes well," murmured Loadmaster as dozens of parachutes bloomed perfectly under the night sky.

*****

5