Chapter 381: Fame II
1.2k 6 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
50+ chapters in advance on Patreon

"Huh, what exactly are we famous for?" I questioned, a deep furrow forming between my brows. The notion of being renowned for something hadn't crossed my mind. In my view, our actions were merely a small part of a much larger effort. With countless dragons and deities involved in the battle against the Shades, it was difficult to imagine that our contributions had truly stood out.

Friry's hearty laughter filled the air, a hearty sound that carried a note of mirth. "Why, you're famous for your invaluable contributions to the war, of course!"

Sidus's raised eyebrow mirrored my skepticism. "But surely there are others who have contributed much more than we have? We can't claim to have done anything extraordinary."

Friry's eyes gleamed with amusement as he regarded us. "Ah, you underestimate yourselves. Valtariel, the planet that was plagued by Shades? You resolved that issue and prevented its destruction. Your presence on multiple battlefronts has not gone unnoticed, and your teamwork is the stuff of legends."

Turning his attention to Ynos, Friry continued, seemingly unaware of the discomfort his words were causing. "You emerged from a planet's annihilation, a sole survivor among dragons and gods. It's a tale that has spread far and wide, stirring admiration and awe."

Ynos shifted uneasily, his gaze averted, as if the weight of his survival weighed heavily on his shoulders. But Friry pressed on, his words carrying a blend of admiration and cheer. "You joined a battle of epic proportions, led by the Destroyer himself. And all of this, while you're barely considered adults."

Friry's grin grew as he glanced at each of us in turn. "And now, you've returned from deep behind enemy lines, victorious and unscathed. Not to mention you managed to slay a high-ranking Shade member. Why wouldn't you be famous?"

As the old dragon's words hung in the air, my companions and I exchanged surprised glances, absorbing the realization that we had unknowingly garnered a reputation among our kind for our endeavors.

Breta's skeptical frown was matched by the suspicion gleaming in her eyes. "Hold on a second. We've only just returned. How did you know where we were, let alone the fact that we took down a high-ranking Shade?" she inquired, her tone carrying an undertone of wariness.

Friry's demeanor remained jovial, seemingly undeterred by Breta's guarded attitude. "Ah, my dear, your reputation precedes you," he replied with a genial smile. "Your valiant deeds haven't gone unnoticed, and your exploits have been widely shared among our ranks. When the saviors themselves spread the word to our higher-ups, well, news tends to travel quickly among us. Not to mention, the commotion the Destroyed has made regarding finding all of you."

Breta's expression shifted from suspicion to a mixture of surprise and mild irritation. The mention of our connection with the "saviors" seemed to confuse her even more. "Saviors? Higher-ups?" she echoed with a touch of exasperation.

"I'm guessing he's talking about The Chronicles," I answered, before turning my eyes to Friry and speaking, "And the higher-ups, are you talking about the elder Dragons?" 

Friry's grin only widened, as if he relished the opportunity to share more information. He was poised to continue speaking when the sudden appearance of a brilliant, glowing light streaking toward us from the distance halted him in his tracks. All of us shifted our attention to the sky, anticipation rising as we watched the newcomer approach with a mix of curiosity and wariness.

'A deity, perhaps?' I mused internally, the distinctive aura of Divinity becoming palpable as they drew nearer.

The luminous radiance surrounding the figure slowly dissipated, revealing the being who had joined us. The term 'person' hardly seemed sufficient to describe this presence. Standing before us, matching our height, was a figure of breathtaking beauty, by the mortal standards. Soft, bluish skin emitted a delicate, ethereal glow. A pair of elegant horns adorned her head, forming a graceful crown. Long silver hair cascaded down her back, shimmering like moonlight, and her violet eyes held an otherworldly quality, with no discernible pupils.

Her presence was awe-inspiring, and an air of regality surrounded her. It was as if she carried the weight of the stars with her every movement. She regarded us with a calm, knowing expression, her eyes sweeping over each of us as if assessing our very souls.

Friry's earlier enthusiasm seemed to dim slightly. With a small smile, he spoke, "Lady Merideth, what brings you here?"

The figure, now identified as Lady Merideth, inclined her head in acknowledgement of Friry's greeting before her gaze settled on me. Her voice, when she spoke, resonated with a harmonious melody, "Cosmic Dragon Aether, your presence is much anticipated. It is a pleasure to finally meet you."

"The pleasure is all mine," I subconsciously replied.

I was inwardly taken aback by the Goddess's evident indifference towards Friry's presence, but I was even more intrigued by his apparent lack of reaction. The dragons I had encountered were generally known for their pride and honor, yet Friry seemed to possess a distinct demeanor. He didn't appear bothered by the Goddess's nonchalant response to his greeting. Instead, he seemed to observe the unfolding scene with a hint of amusement, his dragon-like smile radiating an air of mystery.

Merideth's attention shifted to me, and her serene gaze bore into mine. It was a moment that held the weight of ages, as if her eyes were searching for something deeper within me. I stood there, my heart pounding, unable to tear my gaze away from her captivating violet eyes.

"Cosmic Dragon Aether," she continued, her words resonating like a gentle breeze through the air, "the Chronicles have been observing your journey closely. You and your companions have faced trials that most can only imagine. Your feats have not gone unnoticed." Her tone carried a sense of reverence, as if she spoke of something that transcended the boundaries of ordinary existence.

I exchanged a glance with Breta and my siblings, my unspoken thoughts echoing in their expressions. This encounter was far from what we had anticipated, and the enigmatic presence of Lady Merideth left us with more questions than answers. I was still not quite used to the dynamic between the Gods and Dragons over here, but it was quite obvious that the power Lady Merideth held was beyond what we could compete against. I could vaguely feel it. 

"Thank you, Lady Merideth. We have merely done our duty," I answered on behalf of my companions as well. 

The Goddess gave a nod of approval, and turned to Friry, "Why did you not bring them straight to us? You know the destroyer's orders," her tone was devoid of emotions, and reminded me of Breta as she spoke to the old Dragon. 

Friry shrugged, and replied, "I just wanted to show them the Gate," he grinned. Lady Merideth did not seem to like his response as a frown made its way across her face, but she retained from speaking, and instead turned to us, "Please follow me, your grandfather will be waiting."

25