Chapter 386: Command
707 4 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
50+ chapters in advance on Patreon

The meeting between the Dragons and Deities had transformed into a strategic summit, a gathering of minds preparing for our retaliation against the unexpected Shades sneak attack. In this solemn assembly, both sides contributed their insights and perspectives on how to proceed as I listened carefully. 

Grandmother, Mother, and a select few other Dragons and Deities had already initiated a counterattack. Their mission: to retrieve the bodies of our fallen, an act that held immense significance to all those present. Thus, the responsibility to chart our next course of action rested on the shoulders of those assembled here.

From eavesdropping on their discussions, I gleaned a better understanding of our position in the universe. The main world, our home, was situated on the very edge of the known cosmos. To our rear lay… nothingness. It was a perplexing concept that challenged my comprehension, but it was an undeniable reality. Behind us, there existed only the void—an empty, desolate expanse devoid of matter, an ultimate frontier, and barrier. 

In contrast, the expanse before us was teeming with life and celestial bodies. It comprised countless galaxies, planets, and realms falling under our dominion. These worlds were inhabited by Dragons, Deities, and mortals, each with their unique cultures and histories, all under our rule, our territories. Most importantly, they were persistently under threat from the relentless assaults of the Shades.

Beyond our territories lay the "wall," the symbolic boundary separating us from the heartland of the Shades. These territories were the nightmarish realms, overrun by the abominations, the ones where I, along with Sidus, Ynos, and Breta got lost in. The struggle between us and them for control over these worlds was ceaseless, a cyclical dance of conquest and reclamation that had persisted for as long as collective memory. A stalemate, until the sudden attack. 

The continuous ebb and flow of territorial conquests painted a dynamic picture of our struggle against the Shades. Dragons carried out audacious raids on the territories controlled by the Shades, utilizing functioning teleportation gates as strategic entry points. On other occasions, full-scale invasions beyond the wall were launched to recapture key domains or eradicate the enemy's presence.

This dynamic shift caused the borders of our territories to undergo constant transformations. Yet, despite the seeming volatility, a delicate equilibrium existed between our forces and those of the Shades. The King remained conspicuously absent from these territorial disputes, apparently preoccupied with other 'unknown' external threats.

However, a perplexing question lingered in my mind. How had the Shades managed to infiltrate our territories so deeply? Why hadn't we been able to thwart their advances at our borders, instead of allowing them to penetrate deep into our planes and lay siege to our realms?

Breta, ever the voice of reason, offered an explanation that shed light on this enigma. She expressed, "Aether, I don't think you understand the sheer scale of the territories they're talking about. It's vast, making it nearly impossible to prevent every infiltration attempt. Usually, that hasn't been a problem since their numbers were manageable, or so I've heard from my parents."

Her countenance darkened at the mention of her family, hinting at the deeper pain she still carried. However, she quickly refocused her attention on me, locking her gaze on mine as she continued, "What sets this latest invasion apart is its sheer magnitude. An army of that size was not supposed to go unnoticed, especially all the way to our main world. Do you understand?"

Her question hung in the air, and my disbelief rippled through me. "Are you suggesting... that there are traitors within our ranks?"

"Shush!" she quickly hushed me. Her eyes darted to our surroundings before glancing at the main leaders still engaged in a heated discussion over which attack method was the best. 

"Nobody wants to talk about that, especially not now. But I'm sure the elders are already taking precautions for the matter. I'm just saying, that you should be prepared for anything," she said, her tone serious as she stared at me.

"I…I understand," I replied weakly. 

"Good," Breta nodded in satisfaction. 

*****

The ongoing discussions seemed to stretch into an eternity, far surpassing my initial expectations. As the fourth day drew near, we still found ourselves devoid of a concrete plan or decisive course of action. The council of Dragons and Deities continued their deliberations, their voices echoing through the makeshift command center.

Occasionally, Chronicles would materialize, their translucent forms shimmering with the weight of information. They delivered updates from the distant battlefield, where Grandmother, Mother, and a select group of seasoned elders were locked in a fierce confrontation with the surviving remnants of the invading enemy force. The Chronicles acted as nimble messengers, conveying vital intelligence and maintaining a line of communication between the scattered fronts of the battle.

When word arrived that our army might require reinforcements, anger surged within me. Without hesitation, I stepped forward, volunteering to join the fray and offer whatever assistance was needed. My voice resonated with conviction as I made my request to be dispatched to the battlefield, to my grandfather my intent clear: to stand alongside my family and get revenge.

Surprisingly, Grandfather did not rebuff my plea. Instead, he assented to my request, granting permission for both Immy and me to join the forthcoming mission. The unexpected decision caught everyone off guard, prompting Sidus, Ynos, and even little Essie to vocalize their objections as they also wanted to join. They argued vehemently against the decision of them staying behind. 

Yet, all their protests and appeals fell silent in the face of Grandfather's unwavering resolve. His stern and unwavering gaze left no room for further debate or dissent. His decision was final, and the weight of his authority pressed down upon us like a heavy shroud.

And so, as the morning of the fourth day arrived, Immy and I stood at the forefront of a modest army, a blend of Dragons and Deities ready for the mission ahead. Grandfather, his intense gaze locked onto mine, approached us, his voice resonating with authority.

"The command of this army is yours. Can you do it?" he inquired, his question bearing the weight of responsibility.

I was momentarily taken aback, my eyes darting instinctively to the Dragons and Deities gathered behind me. There were easily several hundred soldiers, and the prospect of leading them into battle was both daunting and exhilarating.

Summoning my resolve, I nodded firmly and responded, "Yes, sir."

"Good. I will be awaiting the good news," Grandfather acknowledged before returning to his discussions with the elders. The gravity of the situation hung in the air, and the burden of leadership rested heavily on my shoulders.

23