Chapter 389: War
468 2 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
50+ chapters in advance on Patreon

As the battle raged on, the tide had shifted once more in our favor, courtesy of my mother's astute leadership. She capitalized on the confusion sown by our sudden arrival and executed a sudden, ferocious counter-attack, which caught the beleaguered Shades off-guard. Immy, swift as a lightning bolt, leaped into action to thwart the swarm of malevolent foes. I, too, was quick to follow, my multi-headed form blazing with cosmic energy.

In the smaller group with Ynos, Sidus, and Breta, our collective understanding and teamwork had been impeccable. We had moved as one, instinctively covering for each other. Yet, now tasked with the responsibility of leading an army, I grappled with the enormity of the situation. Amidst the frenzied maelstrom of battle, my focus narrowed on the immediate threats before me, neglecting the broader battlefield.

Glancing back to check on the army would inevitably expose me to an onslaught of relentless Shades, each willing to sacrifice itself to achieve my downfall. Consequently, my body became a blur as I teleported ceaselessly across the battleground. I unleashed a torrent of dragon breath and harnessed the full potential of my cosmic mana, shifting between the physical plane and lightning-imbued strikes.

I could only hope that my comrades understood their roles and duties. Immy remained a steadfast presence by my side, her luminous form a beacon of hope amid the chaos. My three heads worked in unison, releasing volley after volley of dragon breath, while my cosmic mana pulsed with an unrestrained fury. In the heat of battle, my instincts guided my actions, and my adrenaline-fueled focus shielded me from thoughts of exhaustion or doubt.

Should an ally find themselves in peril, my teleportation abilities whisked me to their side, lending a helping claw. The battle had swallowed me whole, and my identity as Aether gave way to the primal intensity of the cosmic conflict. Time blurred as we pushed forward, intent on reuniting with my mother's formidable presence.

The relentless chaos of battle continued, each moment a whirlwind of life and death. I danced on the precipice of danger, narrowly avoiding an attack aimed at my vulnerable back. The ominous, breath-like assault grazed my scales, and with swift reflexes, I turned to confront my assailant. Two of my heads unleashed a devastating breath attack, reducing the Shade to nothingness, while my third head plunged into a close combat struggle with a small humanoid Shade.

This audacious bastard had latched onto my neck, its claws finding purchase on my scales and drawing blood. Try as I might, I couldn't reach the tenacious little shit, its grip unyielding. In a desperate attempt to shake it off, I teleported away, but the Shade clung with stubborn determination, teleporting alongside me.

It was a perilous situation until a Deity with hair aflame like living fire raced by. With an expert grip, this fiery Deity seized the Shade by the nape, forcibly wrenching it from my vulnerable neck. In a swift, fiery display of retribution, the Shade met a gruesome end, torn asunder and reduced to ash.

I spared only a brief glance at this savior before plunging back into the heart of the tempestuous battle, resolute and unyielding. The tide of war flowed around me, but with every breath, I stood ready to confront the constant stream of Shades.

Just when it seemed we were gaining the upper hand, the relentless Shades unveiled a sinister tactic: self-destruction. Their suicidal explosions tore rifts in the fabric of space itself, creating gravitational vortexes that violently pulled our allies into the void. Panic gripped my heart as I frantically scanned the chaotic battleground, searching for Immy amidst the swirling maelstrom of violence.

There, my eyes locked onto her, pinned by four Shades that clung to her like parasitic leeches. Their intent was clear – a suicide attack meant to drag her into oblivion with them. My instincts kicked into overdrive, and I unleashed the full power of my cosmic mana. In a blinding flash of movement, I teleported to her side, my energies tearing the suicidal Shades away from her, and with all my strength, I yanked her back by the nape of her neck.

The battlefield had descended into a deadly whirlwind, an unforgiving tempest of chaos. I had no choice but to issue the order to retreat. Drawing upon my elemental power, I summoned my water element, weaving it from the depths of my soul. A colossal water bubble formed, encompassing all those around me. My army, sensing the urgency of my command, rushed towards this protective sanctuary, while my water element worked tirelessly to mend the wounded and mend their battered bodies a few Dragons and Deities with healing powers did the same.

"Raise the barriers!" I commanded with a voice that cut through the tumultuous cacophony of battle. In response, multiple Deities and Dragons rallied to the cause, conjuring luminous shields and protective barriers around us. The Shades, now in a frenzy of deathly abandon, hurled themselves against our defenses, triggering violent explosions. Ominous tendrils of dark energy began to seep onto our shields, methodically eroding their integrity. Despite the collective effort of Dragons and Deities, it was becoming painfully clear that the barriers would not hold indefinitely, especially with the looming threat of the gravitational rifts threatening to consume us all.

"The shields won't hold for long, brother!" Immy's voice cut through the chaos, her worry etched across her face.

With grim determination, I clenched my teeth and closed my eyes, channeling my cosmic mana to unprecedented limits. When my eyes snapped open once more, an eerie violet glow emanated from my gaze, prompting a faint murmur from Immy at my side, "Your eyes..."

I couldn't afford to dwell on the anomaly; our very survival hung in the balance. A rift, like a voracious maw, was tearing through our protective barriers, threatening to unleash catastrophe upon us. Without hesitation, I redirected the surging currents of my cosmic mana toward the rift, attempting something I had never dared before. It was a desperate gambit, a last-ditch effort to stave off our impending doom.

With a profound sense of purpose, I mentally conveyed my intentions to the cosmic mana. It responded, sensing the urgency of the situation, surging toward the rift with newfound resolve. Threads of cosmic energy wove together, knitting a patchwork seal that rapidly sealed the rift, quelling the immediate threat.

But the strain of this unprecedented feat was evident, leaving me with a growing unease. It wasn't a permanent solution, and I could only hold so many rifts at bay at once.

18