Chapter 10: The start of the Hunt
13.7k 13 385
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I experience magic every day because I am a Divine mage. I cannot imagine being as I was before my awakening. The sense of magic, the company of the spirits, and the whispers of mana, it is a form of company. Yet more than that, this kind of magic that comes with purity, emotional generosity, unconditionally loving, and faith - it is a magic everyone has a chance to learn. Anyone can become a Divine mage, though the training program is rigorous and challenging. Being in the flow of creation is a form of pain and you have to stay in it for the sake of others. If your motivation isn't right, the flow won't hold you in. That's the way it is. That is how the art of Divine magic, the magic of healing, comes to us. —Fay, The Divine mage.

**************

After he showcased his abnormal Dragon breath, father looked at each one of us carefully, before growling. This time the meaning behind his growl was as clear as the afternoon sun. 

'Hunt!' That's what I understood, I peeked at my siblings only to see their eyes lit up, it seems like they were excited at the order. 

'But hunt? Hunt, what exactly, and where? Were there any specific criteria? Did he want us to bring something exactly? Do we even have to bring anything back?' As if to answer my question, Father unhurriedly lowered his large head to the ground and closed his eyes as he basked under the sun. 

He did not seem to have any intention of elaborating, but seeing as he did not leave his place, I would guess that we indeed needed to hunt 'something' and present it back to him. 

'Is it a test of some sort?' I thought trying to understand if I missed something. 

My siblings did not seem to have any intentions of thinking that hard, Blacky's one eye shone as his gaze stared at me, his fighting spirit seemed to have been ignited before he turned around and dashed towards the unburned part of the forest swiftly disappearing within the sea of green trees. 

'That little brat didn't even hesitate.' With Blacky being the first to leave, Golden boy turned to glance at us for a second, his face was still muddy from the previous fall making him look rather funny. 

He first looked at little Green and then glanced at White, before his eyes finally settled on mine. I could feel the fighting intent burning deep within his snake-like eyes, it seems he was as competitive as Blacky. 

He gave me what looked to be a nod before turning in another direction where he also disappeared. 'That's another one gone.' I thought as I peeked at White and Green who were left. 

For the first time since she was born, White's crimson eyes held a hint of fighting spirit as she stared at me unblinkingly before also nodding, she lowered her neck towards Green and gave her an affectionate lick before gracefully leaving in the opposite direction of where Blacky and Golden boy had gone to. 

'Why do they all look at me like that? Why not at each other?' I mumbling inwardly before shooting a glimpse at the shy little Green. 

'You are not going to leave your older brother too right?' 

As if to answer my question, Green brought her small cute head to my side and licked my shoulder since she couldn't reach my face before turning around to leave without paying me any heed.

'Even you Green! Tsk traitor!' I mumbled to myself which came out as a low growl. 

I was left alone. Where should I even start? I looked at Father's large head as he rested on the ground without any care in the world, his eyes remained closed. 

'Since this seems like a competition, I better hurry up and start.' 

And so I picked a random direction and started walking all the while keeping the lake's bank to my left. I decided not to venture too deep within the forest and stay closer to the water. 

My reasoning was rather simple, I wasn't very confident in my tracking skills to find any prey, hence with a large body of water nearby, I was bound to come across some animals who would arrive to have a quench their thirst. 

Was it a good plan? I had no idea. I wasn't an expert hunter, so I only did what seemed to be the most logical option for me. Along the way, my eyes kept dancing around the magical scenery. 

It felt like it was a spring day, as the gentle breeze as sweet as fragranced petals wrapped around me with its flowery aroma. The entire world was bright with such vivid colors like I had never seen before. 

I was in awe as I walked through the peaceful forest, my gaze wandered to a bud a distance away on a large tree branch, brave enough to bring forth such delicate leaves and open them into the sunshine. 

Below the tree, flowers colored my vision as they waved in the gentle breeze. The large lake to my left was calm, as small waves rolled on the banks that are the new vivid green only springtime can bring. The water seemed to sparkle under the noon sun. 

'Beautiful.' For a second, I completely forgot my purpose as I basked under the sun and took in the almost celestial scene, while the gentle spring breeze caressed my scales. 

The peaceful setting was abruptly broken by an uninvited guest. From the tree shadows comes a wolf, yet he did not look like no ordinary predator. He stared at me with almost human eyes. His flaring nostrils as he takes in my scent. 

He then curls up his gums to reveal large yellow stained teeth and then lets out a low rumbling growl that caused shivers down my spine. 

The sheer size of the monster was abnormal, he was a head taller than me! And I considered myself to be quite large. Glancing at his intelligent eyes,  the name of a fantasy creature all too famous in my previous world popped up in my head. 

'A fucking Werewolf!'  

385