Chapter 24: Training
11.7k 23 368
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Special thank you to all my patreons! We have reached 6 advanced chapters over there so far! )

It is in our darkest moments that our souls will shine the brightest, and that is exactly what makes us knights, for we are the guides in an age where cruelty isn't seen as outrageous or wrong anymore. We are the ones that ride into battle when the rest cower behind their walls, in an age where bravery is but a whisper of the past. We have our shining armor and the most glorious stubbornness to stand up for what is right! All for the sake of taking the tongues of tyranny and ramming them back down their throats. For that is what it means to be a Knight in shining armor! — ???

******************

I did end up figuring out the landing part. Though it wasn't very pleasant as it involved me kissing the ground and causing a small crater from the force of my crash. Definitely do not recommend. 

Green on the other hand had no such problem, she landed with grace next to me and brought her snout closer as she licked my face in worry. 'I'll be alright, no serious injuries.' I reassured her with a low growl. 

She then hastily climbed a tall tree branch from where she launched herself in the air to continue with her flight. It seemed we still lacked the ability the properly take off from the ground. As I was thinking about such a thing, my eyes wandered to the giant cliff a distance away. 

Mother's figure was still vaguely visible from way down below, where I was at due to her enormous size. My eyesight was not able to spot White and the rest. 

My ears perked as a loud cry full of panic rang out, it seemed like someone jumped. I squinted my eyes as I tried to make out the small figure free falling headfirst towards the ground. 

'Is that Golden boy? Wait, isn't he falling a bit too fast?! Shit open your wings stupid!' My claws unconsciously sank to the ground as I watched my younger brother fail to open his wings. 

Just as I braced myself for the worst, a gentle wind suddenly appeared cushioning his plunge but not quite preventing him from hitting the ground.  'That was mother's magic, wasn't it?' I inwardly mumbled as I peeked at the steady figure standing at the top of the cliff. 

I was unable to see her eye, yet I still felt as if she was looking at me. As if to confirm my suspicions, her mana abruptly materialized around me forming into a column of air that moved rapidly round in a funnel shape as it gently carried me back to the peak. 

Blacky and White were nowhere to be found, so I reckoned they had already jumped and we're off flying somewhere. Even Green was nowhere to be seen. 

As soon as I reached the edge, mother had already brought Golden Boy who had a few scratches on his scales back as well. Her one eye glared at him menacingly causing him to lower his head. 

Mother then lightly growled before she used her wing to push him off the edge, Golden Boy's cry once again resounded throughout our surroundings as he fell headfirst to the ground.

This time, he managed to barely open his wings in the final seconds, though it was still too late for him to properly take off hence he was sent crashing down towards the trees. I watched in curiosity as Mother seemed to communicate with the surrounding mana causing a gentle breeze to cushion his fall once again. 

I was able to see it, the mana formed what looked to be a small thin thread between mother and her spell. The strand of mana looked appeared to be almost flimsy as if all it would take to break it was a small tug. 

'So I'm guessing that's how she controls her spells from the distance. A small thread of mana, interesting. I should also give it a try.' I inwardly mumbled. 

Meanwhile, Golden boy was once again brought back to the peak with mother's magic, this time, however, she did not gently push him with her wings but used her tail and sent him flying through the air. I could sense the irritation souring her mood.  

'Yep, mother is scary.' 

It took him three more tries before he finally managed to take off successfully. Hearing his roar filled with excitement, the edges of my mouth curled upwards into what would probably count as a terrifying grin by human standards, yet I could care less. 

'Good for you Golden boy, you did it.' I inwardly smiled as I watched his figure soar through the sky. 

Though it did not take him long before he crashed into a tree. I could almost swear I heard mother let out a tired sigh at that. My gaze met hers, as she motioned for me with her head to jump again. 

'Well, off for more flight training.' 

With the initial nervousness gone, I swiftly ran and launched myself off the ledge, I could sense mother's mana flying by my side ready to intervene should anything go wrong. 

'Mother is scary, but still, she's also quite caring.' With her constantly keeping tabs on us with her magic, we faced no real danger. 

***************

'I might have gone a bit too far.' I inwardly muttered. 

I admit, flying was more fun than I had expected. The feeling of freedom as the wind caressed my scales and wings was indescribable. And so before I knew it, I somehow ended up a distance away from the cliff, hell I was no longer able to see it. 

I scanned the land below in curiosity as I flew at a low altitude. My gaze suddenly hardened as I spotted a menacing, slavering creature stride out from behind a tree and glare at me. It was large with bony limbs. The creature's forelimbs were rather lanky compared to the rest of its body, with short back legs. From its stomach grew two more stubby arms, which were completely caked in blood, probably used for grabbing prey. The head appeared to be a solid sphere, but it opened its jaw extremely wide to let out a horrifying, slavering snarl, unfolding its head almost like an onion as it revealed rows upon rows of yellow teeth.

'That's disgusting.' Was my first thought. 

'How dare it glare at me with those eyes.' Was my second thought. I inwardly frowned as I circled the monstrosity from the sky, my claws seemed to be itching for a fight. 

'Well, I guess I can try mother's technique on it.' I inwardly grinned as my heart sped up in my chest with excitement at the upcoming fight.  

368