Chapter 133: The cursed language
5.2k 9 157
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Special thank you to Eduardo Garcia, kynan, adam9413, Niedzwiedz1, and all my Patreons. For advanced chapters and illustrations do check the link below!

Patreons

Discord

Now that I was familiar with the area a bit better, It didn't take me long before I finally reached my destination. I slowly circled the small stream but grandmother's figure was nowhere to be seen.

'Hmm? Maybe she's deeper inside the forest,' I inwardly mumbled before continuing to make my way there.

I once again passed through the damp cave and left it to enter the ancient forest, the second I stepped foot in there a smile subconsciously made its way to my face. I felt at ease in this place, as it helped that I was finally able to sense my grandmother's presence up ahead.

The leaves rustled beneath my claws as I made my way through the trees, a contented smile stretched across my face as I enjoyed the light rays of sun that passed through the layers of leaves, lightly illuminating the area.

Not long after, I found myself in a familiar clearing. Grandmother was in her humanoid form, standing with her back towards me. She seemed to be deep in thought as she studied a strange object that was situated on top of the large rock.

Her ears perked up and she turned to smile at me before speaking, "Oh, If it isn't little Aether! What happened? Miss me already?" She asked with a chuckle before turning her head towards the foreign object.

I leisurely walked over to stand next to her and glanced at it in interest, "Hello, grandma, I'm here to visit," I answered with a smile.

"Mhm, you cheeky little lizard, what visit? I can already see that you got something on your mind," She said with a laugh, her eyes never quite leaving the object.

I lightly chuckled at her straightforwardness before replying, "Haha, that's just secondary, the main reason is to see how you are doing," I spoke with a serious tone to which grandma simply shook her head with a smile.

"Speaking of which, what is this thing, grandma?" The object she was seriously studying was in the shape of a triangle, It was covered with mysterious symbols that made my head hurt simply by looking at them.

Its color was a dull brown yet a shiny green gem was embedded in the middle of it. Hearing my question, grandmother shook her head to indicate that she didn't know either.

"I managed to grab ahold of this thing after a fight with the Shades, but I'm not sure what It is. It's strangely sturdy though," She said, and as if to prove her statement, her hand turned into a silver claw that held into the strange triangle, I then watched as she exerted strength trying to crush it but to no avail.

Seeing that a frown quickly made its way to my face, and that was because I knew how strong my grandmother was. She was able to breed fear into my father and easily subdue him, so her strength was the real deal, but even she was unable to break the strange triangle.

'Those symbols look familiar,' my frown deepened before I raised my eyes in understanding.

"Ah!"

"Hmm, what's wrong?" Asked my grandmother, her hand turning back into a normal humanoid one devoid of any sharp claws, she then gently set the triangle back down on the large rock.

"These symbols, I think I saw them before once," I explained.

"Oh? You already encountered the cursed language?" Asked grandmother in a surprised tone.

"The cursed language?" I subconsciously asked.

"That's what these symbols are called, they being to the language of the Shades," Said grandmother, her finger gently caressing the surface of the triangle, tracing the carved symbols before she continued her explanation.

"The Shades are different from us, well, they are different from every race to be fair. Their society is also quite different, most of them have no use for something like a common language since they are nothing but mere brutes. The problem, however, is with those that pretend to be otherwise, they are the ones that invented the cursed language, remember to be very careful Aether, if you ever encounter a Shade that can communicate, then run. As you are now, don't even think about fighting, just run,"

Her expression turned serious for a second as I felt her aura steer before she reigned it in. I subconsciously nodded before replying, "I understand," I didn't argue with her, nor did I even ask why I had to run and not even try to put up a fight, no, there was no use in asking.

'If grandma is this serious, then a Shade at this level must be very dangerous, perhaps I won't even get the chance to run.' A shiver ran down my spine as I recalled the mysterious ancient door that seemed to seal a dangerous presence and the old dragon that acted as the gatekeeper.

Grandmother nodded in satisfaction at my reply before asking, "So where did you encounter the cursed language before?"

"It's like this-" And so I slowly recounted everything that had happened to me and Sidus, our journey to the crevice, the ancient door, the old dragon, the dangerous feeling I sensed at that time. I told her everything without hiding anything.

By the time I finished, grandmother had a melancholic expression on her face, her gaze was hazy as she seemed to recall a distant memory. After a while, a sigh escaped her lips before she shook her head, she then grabbed the triangle and sat down on the large rock before speaking.

"Nilath is an old comrade, he is a remarkable dragon one that deserves respect, back when he was at his peak, his strength surpassed mine and the old lizard combined,” Grandmother’s face turned gloomy as she once again shook her head in regret.

“The presence that’s sealed behind that door is exactly one of the said monsters of the Shades, one that can communicate, a cunning monster,” Saying that, grandmother refrained from adding anything else.

For a while, a strange silence descended on the clearing. “So, what is it that you wanted to ask me?” She asked, breaking the awkward silence.

“Ah yes, grandmother I’m curious about our soul space, I noticed something rather strange and I would like it if you could help me clear out some misunderstandings,” I said to which she gently nodded as if she had been expecting that.

“Let me guess, it’s about the elements residing inside your soul space to be exact, right?”

“Yes!” I hastily replied.

‘How did she know that that’s what I wanted to ask?’ I wondered.

157