Chapter 379: Friry
621 1 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
60+ chapters in advance on Patreon

"Welcome to hell!" His words reverberated in my mind, and I couldn't hide my frustration as I shot an annoyed look at Breta. The Goddess, however, skillfully averted her eyes and feigned interest in the ongoing battle around the sun.

 

But the situation demanded our attention, and the golden earth dragon's voice snapped me out of my daze. "Let's first get you down to the planet and brief you on the current situation," he suggested. 

 

Still grappling with disbelief, my gaze swept over the vast expanse of the battlefield before us. In a murmur almost to myself, I muttered, "Is this my luck?" 

 

Witnessing my preoccupied state, Sidus quickly moved to the forefront and addressed the seasoned dragon, "We'd be honored."

 

The golden dragon led the way towards the planet, its protective energy barrier shimmering in the space. As we made our approach, the army of gods and dragons parted to allow us passage, their expressions a mix of respect and approval that wasn't lost on me.

 

As we neared the barrier, a small opening formed, granting us entry. Adjusting to the sudden change in gravity was a bit disorienting after our time in the weightlessness of space, but I swiftly adapted.

 

Our guide, who we later learned was named Friry, proved to be quite the chatterbox. He regaled us with stories of battles fought, recounting the ways they had defended their position and managed to repel the Shades in each encounter. 

 

Friry's chatter didn't just center around the battles. He was particularly interested in our grandfather, and it was evident that he held great admiration for him. His inquiries were quite transparent attempts to get us to introduce him, which brought a mixture of amusement and annoyance.

 

Breta, who had clearly grown weary of Friry's endless tales, interjected, redirecting the conversation to a more pragmatic topic. She observed, "It seems that the mortal lands here remain largely unaffected by the battles that rage outside."

 

Friry's aged head nodded in agreement as he responded, "Indeed, they continue in blissful ignorance of the peril that surrounds them. It serves no purpose to burden them with the knowledge, as it would only sow panic and disorder. In unity with the Gods, we've opted to shield them from the truth. If their fates are to be sealed by this conflict, then let their final days be filled with peace."

 

I nodded in agreement, recognizing the validity of his point. It was evident that different planets adhered to distinct approaches. The dynamic between the Gods and the Dragons appeared to shift according to the region. While tensions ran high back in our homeland, here, a harmonious coexistence seemed to prevail. The disparity in these relationships intrigued me.

 

As we flew, my gaze roved across the unfamiliar landscape below. Its exotic hues diverged greatly from the familiar colors of our own realm. Scarlet grass and dark yellow trees painted a scene of captivating beauty. I sensed no manipulations of mana; it appeared that these colors were inherent to this world.

 

Floating islands intermittently punctuated the panorama, capturing my attention. The humanoid inhabitants of this realm exhibited a distinctive appearance, with dark grey skin that set them apart. Their resemblance to humans struck me as intriguing.

 

Curiosity prompted me to inquire, "What are they?" My question was directed at Friry, And I quickly received an enlightening response. "The mortals?" he mused before recognition flickered in his eyes. "Ah, you don't have Inrads back home."

 

"Inrads…" I mumbled to myself. 

 

We made swift progress, eventually arriving at a breathtaking sight: a vast lake bordered by tall, yellow-hued trees rising from the water. Nature's artistry was on full display. Amid the expanse of water, a relatively diminutive floating island caught our attention. Chains extended from it, firmly anchoring it to the lake below.

 

Though I labeled it as "small," in reality, the island was spacious enough to comfortably accommodate numerous Dragons and Deities.

 

As we drew closer, a surprise awaited us—the sight of a teleportation gate positioned at the heart of the island. However, something was off. Unlike the familiar teleportation gates we had encountered before, this one lacked the signature presence of cosmic mana. Its dormant state was unmistakable.

 

Friry must have caught my puzzled expression because he promptly offered an explanation, his voice tinged with a sense of nostalgia, "The cosmic mana that once sustained this gate has been depleted for a long while now. Since the last Cosmic Dragon disappeared, no one has been able to activate it." His gaze, laden with a subtle expectation, turned to me. It was clear that he hoped I might possess the power to rekindle the dormant gate.

 

'Looks like this isn't just about getting briefed,' I mused inwardly.

 

We descended onto the island under Friry's guidance, making our way towards the central courtyard where the dormant teleportation gate stood. Positioned at the heart of the island, the gate seemed to exude a quiet aura of anticipation.

 

Curiosity driving me, I inquired, "Where does this gate lead?"

 

Friry's response carried a weight of uncertainty, his voice taking a pause as if he was carefully selecting his words. After a brief moment, he continued, "I cannot say for certain. The truth is, no one knows. The portal has been sealed off for generations, a mystery to us all." His gaze drifted skyward, as if he could visualize the ongoing cosmic battle. "The prevailing theory is that it might lead to another planet, one that was once under the dominion of our kind."

 

I nodded, taking in his words and the unspoken hope they carried. The idea of reconnecting with a world long severed from this one held a certain allure, even in the midst of the dire circumstances surrounding us.

 

"How many other 'dormant' gates are out there?"Breta's question hung in the air as she tenderly touched the silent gate, prompting Friry's response. 

"There are too many of these dormant gates to even attempt counting," he began. "In our long battle against the Shades, we've gained territories and lost them, and with that, countless planets and their corresponding teleportation gates were either destroyed or rendered inactive."

 

I then voiced the concern that had been lurking in my mind, "But what if the destination of this gate has already suffered destruction?"

 

Friry's grin remained undeterred as he answered with unwavering confidence, "You needn't fret over that. If one gate falls victim to destruction, any linked gates would face the same fate automatically."

 

The implications of his words settled heavily upon us, the notion that the dormant gate held a direct connection to other distant worlds and that its destiny was intertwined with theirs, for better or worse.


23