Chapter 10: Confrontation
273 2 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On our way to the cafeteria I killed 4 more zombies with my blood spears and used crystal refinement on them. Blood spears are my most useful ability right now, as I don’t have to get close to my target and they usually one-shot the zombies if I don’t miss their head. I’m probably pretty wealthy right now with my 22 crystals, but I still don’t know the prices inside the altar

“W-What are those things he is shooting Rina?”

“I don’t know, he’s probably one of those people with dormant genes right? I don’t really care as long as he uses them to protect us.”

Rina seems pretty carefree and it looks like she puts a lot of trust in me. Aoi on the other hand…

“Hmpf, those abilities are dangerous, and he didn’t explain to us how he got them!”

“Jeez Aoi stop being such a downer.”

“MHWAA Rina I’m only worried about how close you are getting to Ren!”

“Oooh, jealous? Maybe you shouldn’t have dumped him.”

Aoi pouted her cheeks and stormed of ahead of the group, looks like Rina’s teasing went a bit too far.

“KYAA !”

We suddenly heard Aoi yelling and run towards her. There we see Masaru holding Aoi by her wrist and making a perverted looking face. Tanaka is standing next to him… Damn he really is a cockroach

“Oi Masaru what are you doing? Let Aoi go!”

“Hmmm…? Ren you aren’t dead? You sure are lucky. But you probably don’t understand the situation you are in and the position I know hold, otherwise you wouldn’t have shouted at me like that hahaha.”

Even the cockroach started talking:

“Y-Yeah Ren, don’t underestimate the authority Masaru now has in the group! You may have rescued those girls, but you still have to pay respects to Masaru if you want to take shelter in the cafeteria.”

“Cut the crap Masaru, just let Aoi go. You have been a dick to me since the start, so if you have a problem just come to me. Leave Aoi out of it, she has nothing to do with it!”

“Oh but Ren, you misunderstand, she has everything to do with it. You see, I always had a thing for Aoi, but she wouldn’t even look at me. Even after I asked Reo and Tanaka to help me spread those nasty rumors about you. She finally broke up with you after I faked a cheating scene using someone who looked like you, do you even have the slightest idea how much it cost me to orchestrate that entire scenario?! LIKE 150$ OR SOMETHING! BUT NO, SHE DIDN’T EVEN GIVE ME A CHANCE !”

Even Tanaka seemed surprised by what Masaru just told us:

“H-Hold on Masarau… What are you saying? I thought the plan was for me to date Aoi after she had broken up with Ren.”

“Shut up Tanaka, you’re just an easy to fool loser. Be glad that I’ll let you have a turn after I’m finished with her tonight!”

“T-Thanks a lot Masaru….”

Tanaka didn’t look very pleased, but he was probably too afraid to do anything about it.

“YOU BASTARDS! All my humiliation and suffering was your fault! I’ll get my revenge, and after I’m done I’ll punish that Reo bastard too.”

I charged at Masaru and tried to punch him, he threw Aoi to the side and dodged my punch

“Ha you’re slow! You probably didn’t know, but with a little help from Reo, I’m now in charge of protecting the camp and I already killed 12 zombies, I’M THE STRONGEST HERE ON CAMPUS!”

He punches me in the stomach so fast I didn’t even have time to react, he hits like a truck!

*BLEEAARGH*

I fall to my knees and throw up

“Just give up Ren, if you give me Aoi, I can let you and the other girls go back to the cafeteria. Hell, I’ll even protect you losers while I’m at it, you should actually thank me.”

“Well thanks a lot bastard!”

I launch a blood spear at him, but he steps back and dodges it with ease.

“Ooh, looks like you also got some special powers Ren, but mine seem to be a tad more useful in the fighting department hahaha.”

I activate my blood talons and desperately swing them at Masaru… But he dodges every slash with ease. After firing another 3 blood spears that miss him, my blood talons retract. Shit, I’m out of blood, I feel a bit lightheaded but I only managed to scratch him a couple of time.

“Seems like you can’t keep those blades activated forever, lucky me!”

He punches my face almost rebreaking my nose, I could barely even see his moves. He follows it up with an uppercut to the chin. I fall to the floor next to a pile of dead zombies, probably the zombies he was killing before we ran into him.

“HHYAAA!”

Rina sneaked up behind Masaru and attempts to swing at him with her machete…. But he dodges again.

“Oooh Rina, Your Aoi’s friend right? Pretty brave of you… Alright I have decided you’re also allowed to join my harem mhuahaha! I like it when girls are a little feisty-”

*SPLASH*

I fire another blood spear at his feet using the blood of the dead zombies next to me and manage to pierce his foot, pinning it to the ground in the process. But… he barely flinches. I look at him with my rival scout…. E! Goddam no wonder he is so fast, that’s 1 rank above a regular zombie

“Ooh Ren you still weren’t done? Nice try I guess but I’m used to pain, you see my dad was actually yakuz-“

“Try dodging this!”

I launch myself at the pinned down Masaru and try to punch him in the face, but he just slightly tilts his neck and the punch misses his face by 5 centimeters.

“You almost got me Ren, well now it’s my turn. We all thought you were dead anyways, I’m only making it a reality.”

He pulls his fist back, ready to strike, but I can’t help but smile a little. He actually fell for it. As I activate blood talons I retract my still extended arm that was just centimeters away from his neck.

*SLASH*

His head comes clean off.

I-I did it… I killed another human being

The girls were silent… so was I. I didn’t know if I should cheer or be silent… Maybe I should  have tried to knock him out first… I’m starting to doubt if I truly did the right thing here, lucky Rina is there to comfort me:

“T-Thanks Ren! You did good, you saved Aoi.”

Aoi was still lying on the ground in shock at what just happened.

“Thanks Rina… Let’s just go to the cafeteria first, hopefully Reo can explain this…. Although I still have to question that bastard about why he spread those rumors.”

Aoi looked like she was about to say something, but she just remained silent and stood back up. I collect the crystals from Masaru’s corpse, he had 5 crystals on him. I also syphon some blood from the dead zombies that were lying around, I don’t really feel comfortable syphoning the blood of someone I just killed… yet…

As we were walking to the cafeteria, Aoi tapped me on the shoulder.

“T-thanks for earlier Ren, I was wrong about Tanaka, I-I’m also sorry for everything, I-I didn’t know…”

*Sigh*

“Yeah whatever… you don’t have to feel sorry, it won’t change anything… maybe we just weren’t meant to be. At least I now finally know why you dumped me… funny how we never talked about it ourselves…”

I felt relieved, like a weight has been lifted of my shoulders, even though Aoi looks sad, I’m glad I could finally put this hate and anger behind me. Even though I know it was just a misunderstanding, I haven’t forgiven her yet, I-I can’t. But at least I don’t feel as bad about the situation anymore.

We head towards the cafeteria, I feel a bit intimidated by the fact that I have to confront Reo, but I know that at least Rina will have my back.

“Hey Reo, you got some explaining to do!”

“R-Ren ? you’re still alive?” - he looked shocked and slightly disappointed. - “ I’m so glad you were able to make it, who are those girls? And why did you tie up Tanaka from class 2A?”

“These girls came here to seek shelter and Tanaka is just an asshole, but more importantly, could you tell me why Masaru tried to take advantage of Aoi? Did you give him that strength?”

“W-what are you talking about Ren? Masaru is in charge of protecting us, he is just naturally strong, what happened to him?”

“I… I killed him!”

Everybody looked shocked, but some looked relieved. Seems like he found some other victims while I wasn’t here.

“How could you?! Who is going to protect us know? Y-you should hand over all your weapons and food to us and then leave this camp Ren, we don’t welcome murderers here!”

“That’s not very fair, it was self-defense! He was trying to rape Aoi!”

“Oh really… is that true Tanaka? You were there during the fight right?”

“Y-Yes I was… Luckily I just came across Masaru after I narrowly managed to escape from a large hoard of zombies. But then this madman suddenly came out of nowhere and started fighting Masaru, saying how he was jealous and angry that Aoi liked me more than him!”

“Hmmm.. that does sound plausible, you were pretty devasted when Aoi broke up with you. Plus there were some rumors going around that Aoi was flirting with Tanaka.”

“W-What are you talking about, don’t listen to him Ren, I wasn’t flirting with anyone after our breakup!”

“It doesn’t matter to me Aoi, besides Tanaka’s story doesn’t make sense, why would I leave Tanaka alive after I killed Masaru? And these girls behind me can confirm that my story about Masaru wanting to rape Aoi is accurate.”

“Well since neither side has any concrete evidence, As leader of the Cafeteria-group, I suggest we still ban Ren since it’s better to be safe and since he did admit to killing Masaru.”

“Fine I was planning to leave anyway, but you’re not taking my supplies, if anybody wants to join me, this is your chance. Reo might act as a good guy, but he was the one who gave that psychopath Masaru a physical enhancer. He probably got it as an entry reward from the altar! He’s a liar and can’t be trusted!”

“Slander, I only got that bag of chips from the altar, since then I haven’t touched the thing!”

“Oh come on, even before this whole zombie apocalypse you helped Masaru spread those false rumors about me.”

“I-I don’t know what you’re talking about, I’m not sure what Masaru told you, but surely you have solid evidence before accusing me of all this right?”

“I’m not here to argue with you Reo, if these sheep want to stay with you, let them! I know at least Rina will follow me right?”

“That’s right ! we are like, totally partners in crime now!”

Yuma stood up and walked towards our group:

“I’ll follow you too Ren, you didn’t forget about or promise right? I’m just so glad you’re alive!”

 Damn Yuma you’re a really good friend.

“I’ll also go with them, please make use of me however you see fit.”

“H-Himari? Why would you follow that loser Ren? I’m your fiancé, you’re staying here, I’m going to protect you!”

“Shut up Reo, Ren saved me that day in the supermarket, without him I wouldn’t be here! Besides, I’m only a status symbol for you.”

Suddenly Aoi grabbed my wrist:

“F-Fine I’ll follow you too if you’re going to insist, I-I mean… P-Please let me also join the group Ren I’m sorry about before. I’m too scared to stay with here after what happened with Masaru”

“Yay Aoi is going to join our group, you’re okay with that, right Ren?!”

“Ugh fine, as the first member of my group I can’t really deny your request Rina. If you really want to, you can follow us Aoi.”

A blonde girl in the cafeteria stood up:

“I-If Aoi is going, I’ll also join you guys, I mean, someone has to protect Aoi from Ren.”

“Sure I guess… Sarah can also join, Is there anybody else who wants to join?”

“O-Oi Ren don’t take it too far, we need a lot of people to establish a safe haven here on campus.”

“Not my problem Reo. Is there anybody else ? otherwise we’ll leave right now!”

“I-I also want to join! I’m Daichi from class 3 and I’m sure I can be useful to you guys”

Those words came from a frail looking guy with glasses

“Sure you can join us!”

“Ren, you’re are going to regret this. You will be begging me on your knees for shelter in the future, I’m warning you!”

“Nah, I’m pretty sure we’ll be fine, thanks for the warning tho!”

I smile at him, but I can only see pure rage on his face. He’s probably a little bummed I killed his strongest fighter and took his fiancé with me. I use my Rival scout on him, he has the same rank as Masaru: E. He probably didn’t want to start a commotion in front of everybody.

As we walk away from the cafeteria I get a notification.

*PING*

“Mission completed: Host gets 1x concentrated crystal 1x I physical enhancer and as a bonus for recruiting 4 people instead of 2 the host gets: 1x I physical enhancer and 1x gene awakener!”

“Nice!”

“Something wrong Ren? Where are we going anyway, my feet, like, really hurt from all that walking.”

“Haha… don’t worry about it Rina, we’ll sleep in the gymnasium, there is an altar there, after one night of good sleep we’ll go to the kindergarten across from the campus to search for Yuma’s little sister. After that… well we’ll see, we could find a mansion and convert into a stronghold for example.”

“Thanks Ren, I mean it, I know it was a good idea to follow you.”

“No problem Yuma, we’re friends right?” - I give Yuma a fistbump – “Haha.”

“W-Wait a minute why should we follow Ren? Besides he doesn’t even have a concrete plan!”

“Sara don’t be rude! Ren is the leader, you can always quit and return to Reo if you don’t like it here.”

“Hmph you don’t have to shout Rina! I was just asking questions, besides I can’t leave as long as Aoi follows you guys!”

The girls continued bickering but stopped when we eventually reached the gymnasium, I used my blood sense… Hmmm nothing.

“Okay guys let’s set up camp here, I’m going to redeem our crystals and buy some things.”

13