Ch.6 Slow Growth
133 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I’m actually quite excited right now. Why? Well, I can evolve! This means my hopes of a good life are still on the table, if I evolve enough I can maybe find a way out of this cave and make a life for myself. I mean it’s a fantasy world for crying out loud and yet all I’ve experienced are creepy crawlies and acid… No it’s settled I have to get out of here. But…how? So far all I’ve really explored is the right side of this tunnel and its connecting watering hole.  I mean for all I know the exit could be just a few metres to the left…

No seriously, I’m really bragging about having a human mind and yet I didn’t think to maybe map out the area? I mean yeah I’m not the most survival based person but really? Okay so I definitely need to get that sorted, aside from me getting out of here it’s actually just way too dangerous not knowing my surroundings. Especially being alone in an environment like this. Honestly I still can’t believe I didn’t do this sooner. But let’s move this to the top of the agenda, and I for sure need to get more skills up. What use is it finding a way out if I die trying. Plus, I may grow out of this kittens’ body if I evolve a few more times and that is definitely a plus. I’m not too hopeful on getting a human body but I should at least be able to grow a little right? Being this tiny is great for food consumption and all but in all honesty it’s a little demeaning. I’m a human man for god’s sake…At least nobody’s seen me so far so I still have hope of evolving to something a bit more… masculine?

Okay plans are in order and seeing as it’s been quite a busy day I rate I practice a bit of magic to get a feel for it and then rest up since tomorrow is definitely going to be even busier. So magic huh. I can sort of feel how to do it, it’s like I have these weird shapes imprinted in my mind and I need to shape the mana like that I guess. Well that makes sense but how exactly do I move mana?

I try forcefully moving it but all the results in is an out breath kitten angrily grunting…Maybe force isn’t the way to move an aura type substance from inside your body. I try and connect to the warmth in my chest remembering the way it flowed through me during my evolution and then I almost suggest that the mana goes a certain direction and it does! Well a little bit, I’m working on it. But that worked more than trying to force it at least. After about an hour and many attempts I’ve gotten a bit better at managing the mana and am able to cast an illumination spell. It’s a very weak light that sort of floats right before me. It’s a small step but I definitely feel a sense of accomplishment at my first successful magic. I’m also suddenly realizing why I didn’t immediately unlock amazing sorcery like a blazing fireball or calling a thunderstorm down on my foes. If calling a tiny light like this is this mentally exhausting, then how hard is it to do the harder things…

Despite that I’ve decided on magic. Although its hard isn’t that the same as any skill? And who knows what I might be able to do if I stick with it plus even if this is the limit of my skills it’s still really cool considering there was no magic at all on Earth. I am however very tired and I know that if I want to practice it’s going to have to be in a safe place as I don’t know how well I can fight after doing something as taxing as this. I called it for the day and went to rest eagerly anticipating what the future may hold.

The next day I woke up and immediately began preparations as any good kitten would. I warmed up my limbs a little bit by doing some light stretches which upon starting I realized would’ve looked highly amusing to any spectators. After a short warm up I set out and decide to start the day off with a bang. Instead of going right…I go left. Okay maybe not a bang but it’s a big step alright. I’ve only ever been right and it’s still quite scary walking down a cold dark tunnel not knowing where it would lead. After a short walk I reach my first obstacle, a large web covers the entrance to the next room and I think it’s fairly obvious what lies ahead, a spider. I’m a little hesitant but I’ve already decided that I need to grow and I won’t do that by playing it safe all the time, plus my stealth has proved to my advantage as most mobs my level barely notice me and with my movement speed I’m sure I could at least run away. After a short pause I continue forward with calm mind showing its prowess yet again. As I near the web I think of a simple but effective plan to scout out the enemy, with my newly lengthened tail and the very useful Acrobatics skill I’m able to manipulate the tail a lot more than I previously could. I wrap the pink of my tail around a nearby rock and after a few attempts I’m confident in my control over it and I lift flick it into the web using my tail as a makeshift sling. The rock tears through the initial web and clatters onto the ground ahead echoing slightly down the tunnel as I quickly enter stealth and hug to the nearby wall. After a few moments a long leg shows itself as the spider pulls itself onto the ground to inspect the creature that entered its web. After finding naught but a hole in the web the spider moves to fix it when suddenly its eyes dart to the wall as if sensing a presence nearby. I silently curse myself for being so overly confident in a skill that’s barely reached level 3 especially when I know little to nothing about my opponent other than the fact that it literally has 8 eyes so surely it would have semi decent observational skills. While I’m silently berating myself the spider seems to have come to a decision and it changes its stance all the while keeping its sharp gaze directed at my position on the wall.

[Calm Mind Has Leveled up]

My mind immediately feels the effects and I calm myself preparing for what seems to be an inevitable fight. I look into the creatures eight eyes and begin planning slightly shifting my position but I notice something. The spider is looking in my direction yes but it doesn’t seem to be looking directly at me? Perhaps it’s more of an instinct and the spider is simply aware that there is something there but not sure what or where exactly. If so then that’s a win for me, I’m definitely smaller than the average creature here and with my stealth I should be able to adjust myself a little more. Although it’s only a slight advantage I should be able to take the creature by surprise if I come out from an angle it wouldn’t expect from the other creatures…One move comes to mind.  I come to the realization that aerial combat seems to be a consistent theme for me but hey, if it’s not broke don’t fix it.

The spider inches closer towards me as I wait for the right moment…

3

2

1

Pounce! I leap with all my might successfully clearing the spider and go for my world renowned aerial swipe. I manage to land a significant gash in its back but it’s nowhere near enough. The spider is at least 2 times my size and now it’s a lot angrier.

As this monstrosity of a creature eyes me down I can’t help but wonder how my life ended up like this…

 

8