Ch.7 Web Filled Peril
127 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I rush towards the spider thinking that I should be able to think on my feet thanks to Calm Mind and if I keep putting pressure on it hopefully it’ll show an opening. Unfortunately, things rarely go as planned and the Spider reels back before rapid firing webs to limit my movements, it slowly forces me to directly come at it and I’m left with little alternative. I quickly dash towards the spider giving it the impression that I’m going to head for another overhead pounce but manage to feint it instead sliding underneath the spider thanks to my small size with my claw slashing at its belly. My arrogance fills me as I believe I’ve outsmarted the spider but I’m once again shown the cruelty of reality. The Spider pays no heed to me instead choosing to spin around aiming to intercept my exit with its menacing jaws which I have little doubt are laced with poison. The spider may be larger than me but not so much that I have time to turn around and head back. With its legs acting as a cage and the only option being to once again play into the spiders hands I push forward before an idea strikes me. I pray for good luck and rush to activate the skill and by some streak of luck the mana weaves into the correct shape allowing to successfully activate Bedazzle. The Spider pauses for but a moment and I get through before it rapidly pulls its head up facing me with a new found wariness. The spider takes a step forward and as it does its entrails slowly seep from its body. It seems that the spider hadn’t even considered the possibility of me escaping that and had thought it could tank my hit if it managed to kill me. Now however the fight was still ongoing and the spider now had a severe wound. It and I both knew that if it didn’t end this quick it would die. Although I was running I knew it was now a waiting game. I kept my distance from the spider dodging its webs every now and then. With my speed I was able to keep the distance between us and eventually the spider succumbed to its injuries.

[Level up]

[Swipe Level Up]

[Pounce Level Up]

[Pounce Rank Up available]

[Acrobatics Level Up]

[Bedazzle Level Up]

I was stunned by the burst of information popping up in my head as multiple skills leveled up. Fortunately, the level up had refreshed my stamina and I was able to pull myself over to the spider before albeit reluctantly gorging myself on a meal.

[Trait Point gained]

My eyes lifted from my meal in surprise, a trait point? I hadn’t gotten any aside from the first lizard I killed so what’s different now? I’d have to think on it more but this couldn’t be anything other than a good thing. After finishing my meal, I felt replenished and finally noticed something.

[Pounce Rank Up Available]

[Silent Strike - Cost 1 Skill Point – Higher ranked version of Pounce, allows for increased damage and reduced sound when striking from stealth]

[Pixie’s Leap- Cost 1 Skill Point – Higher Ranked version of Pounce, your Fae blood allows you to channel a Pixies power lightening the body upon leaping. This allows for a larger leap due to your lightened body whilst providing greater maneuverability mid-air]

Well damn, so my abilities can also be upgraded huh. Well I guess that makes sense, if you practice a skill more it’s only natural you’d be able to do greater things with it. My options definitely seem to be influenced by my use of it but I wonder just how unique the upgrade paths are? It would be interesting to see if I could influence my growth in a certain way. For now, let’s take a look at the skills but I’ll definitely have to sit down and think this through at a later point. Okay so it’s either stealth or more aerial combat…

Stealth based bonuses are always quite safe but like the fight against the spider I can’t always count on that being a guarantee. Plus, I get quite a lot from the base stealth skill and now that I know it can potentially rank up I’m even more excited for its future. The other option though, its honestly quite good. That aerial swipe I’ve been doing has worked for me on more than one occasion and if I take this skill it’ll only widen my range of attacks. The only issue is...the name. Honestly are all of my attack going to end up going down this route? They’re great and all but I can’t help but worry that I’m straying further and further from my goal of a more masculine and awe worthy personage. Ahhh okay okay I’ll just get over myself it’s a good skill and why would I say no to that…

[Pounce has been Upgraded to Pixie’s Leap]

Oh maybe I can get lucky here though. I finally got another Trait point so maybe I can find something good there.

Okay. This I can live with. An upgrade that will help with my future spellcasting endeavors?!

[Mystical Tail – The power of the Fae flows through your tail, allowing for greater maneuverability of mana through it]

So if I’m understanding this correctly I’d essentially make a wand out of my tail? It’s already quite long and with Acrobatics I have no trouble moving it so this would be a huge gain.

[Acquire Trait Mystical Tail?]

Yes.

[Trait Acquired]

I immediately feel the warmth of mana spread through my body before strengthening itself towards the end of my tail. My tail itself seems to have grown even longer with the pink end becoming a bit more visible… I quickly move on from this and test it out. I’m definitely going to have to get used to this as my tail is now slightly longer than the rest of my body. But I can also feel the difference, casting an Illumination, I take about a third less time to condense it as the mana simply responds a lot better as I direct it through my tail before a shining orb rests slightly ahead of my tail.

[Status]

 

Name : BLANK

Race: Fae Kitten

 

Level  : 2

 

HP:14

SP:15

MP:12

STR : 7

AGI : 15

INT: 14

CHR :19

 

Skills : Pixie’s Leap [ LVL 1]  Bite [LVL 1] Swipe[ LVL 4] Stealth [ LVL 3] Acrobatics[ LVL 4] Calm Mind [LVL 2] Distract [LVL 1] Illuminate [ LVL 1] Bedazzle [LVL 2] Fae Footwork [ LVL 1]

 

Traits : Soft Fur, Predators Eyes, Sharpened Claws, Fae Core, Mystical Tail

 

Now that the upgrades are out of the way It’s time to push forward, and as I move into the spiders den I see three potential paths all covered in web. I quickly dispatch of the web making use of my tail as a sling once again before deciding which route to take. I eventually take an almost childish approach by sticking with the saying of right is always right and proceed down the right most path.

6