Ch 79. Bloodshed
64 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I can't remember what happened next or how it happened, but when I came back to my senses, we were right in front of the city, ready to let our rage clash against it and the people living there.

“W-What are we…?”

I asked myself, not fully understanding what was happening. Even if the Humans living in this place were the ones that killed Afallen, even if the Humans living here feed out from Demons, even if they were the one that has been constantly harassing us during our travels, I was totally convinced that the one that was at fault, the one that was the culprit of Afallen death was Anastasia.

No, I wasn't totally convinced about that, even if I wanted to fully blame her, there was still a part of my heart that was blaming myself.

“We are going to avenge Afallen. At least, that's what Anastasia told us.”

The one that answered my half asked question was Phlum. She was right next to me, and she was clearly on guard, almost as if she was suspecting that we could accidentally suffer a backstab during the fight that was about to begin.

“You look worried, Phlum. Your hands are shaking…”

I whispered at her, so no one around us could listen to us.

“Of course, aren't you? This is really fishy.”

Indeed, this is totally fishy. However, I don't expect everyone to notice this, after all, masses are easy to manipulate when they are being controlled by their emotions. And right now, everyone is angry due to Afallen’s death.

“I’m convinced that Anastasia is using this opportunity to take out the Demons that are loyal to you. Even more, I have no doubts that both of us are going to die someway or another during this fight…”

Her voice sounded tremblant, like a thin thread that shone in the dark of the night. A thin thread that could be cut just by the mere blown of the wind.

“Sadly, I think the same… So, I should ask why, even knowing what is going to happen, you decided to stay by my side?”

She looked at my with a confused expresion, almost as if I was asking the most stupid thing in the whole world.

“Isn't it obvious? I’m going to be by your side, no matter what, Beatrice. We are in this together.”

I let out a sigh of relief after hearing those words. She is right, I already knew that, no matter what, she’ll always be by my side.

“What should we do then?”

“I don't know… But…”

“But…? What are you thinking, Phlum?”

She was clearly worried about something, but she was obviously scared of telling me.

“Well, you know… After Afallen went quiet, they took her body away and, just like that, we came here to destroy this place…”

I couldn't tell where she was going with this, but maybe she was talking about the absence of a burial? I mean, Afallen was one of the most famous and dearest members of our party, so I think everyone would want a proper burial for her… But maybe letting out our rage against the culprits was also a must.

“I mean… Do you know about that old story about eating a Demon’s heart…? Maybe…”

“W-What are you saying?! She was our friend!”

Even if that means that I’ll become more powerful, there's no way I’ll eat the heart of another Demon, even less the one of one of my friends.

“But…! Just think about it! If we don't take this chance to go and steal it, Anastasia will eat Afallen’s earth! I don't want that!”

“Come on, don't say…!”

“Isn't it obvious?! That's why they took her body away as soon as they could! She’ll even eat our hearts if she could!”

While both of us were arguing about this, Anastasia moved her hand and everyone went silent. She started talking right after that, but I couldn't pay attention to any of her words, because her eyes were fixed on mine, almost as if she was defying, asking me what I was going to do.

Once she finished her speech, everyone started cheering for her and Afallen’s name, reading their weapons, claws, fangs and spells. The bloodshed was right about to begin.

“We should go…”

“I know…”

Even if I didn't want to, there's no way I’m letting Afallen’s heart to such a malevolent being. There's no way she'll forgive me if I let Anastasia have her heart.

“Go! Burn those walls, and kill every Human behind them! That's what our friend would have wanted!”

Empty words left her mouth, but at this point, there's no way to stop this mess. Everyone is already fully charmed by her charisma and machinations.

The Demons that once were following me, started rushing towards the city. Quickly, arrows were falling into them, but they continued until they clashed with the closed door.

However, a mere door is not going to stop them and their rage, so it was broken in the blink of an eye. Right after that, screams of soldiers, women and children started filling the air.

There were no clouds in the sky, but somehow, the light of the night had a faint vermilion touch in it.

“Lets go, Phlum…”

“Alright…”

While everyone was letting their rage to the poor citizens that lived in what once was the most important city of the continent, both of us left in order to take back Afallen’s heart.

2