Chapter 2 – App?
17 2 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“ Everything? ” Raising an eyebrow at the demand, John replied. “ I could not tell you everything, even if I wanted to. While I may have traveled down this road longer than you, technically I count as a beginner too. As for which road I am talking about, take out your phone so I can show you some of it. ”

 

Nodding at the demand himself, Daniel brought it out. It was a black case Samsung S23 edition. Placing it on the table, he said nothing at first, but when he saw John swiping on his own with the invisible screen again, he spoke. “ Shouldn’t I have been able to see what you’re doing, now that I have signed the Contract? ” Asked Daniel.

“ No. ” Denied John without looking away from his phone. “ And you never will. It’s a security measure that only the user will see he needs to see. Ok, I am done on my part here. Enable your Bluetooth, so I can send you the needed stuff. ”

 

Nodding again, Daniel did, and seconds after it was up and seconds later identifying his phone, he got the notification that a package was being sent to him. “ Good, it’s a big App, so it will take a few minutes. So let me give you some explanations first. ” Said John.

“ First thing you should know is that the App that I am sending you is the key to everything that will guide and help you in your quest for revenge. ” Explained John. “ I am not sure why it was designed this way, but the App will be the bridge between you, the individual, and the World at large. Considering that both of us are of similar age, I can guess you’re familiar with games and the RPG genre? ”

“ Indeed, I am. ”

“ It’s kind of obvious if you consider how prominent games are becoming. ” Said John. “ The App will have elements similar to them, which you will see in a few minutes. The most prominent features will be the statistics and the Quest system, followed by the Power system. ”

“ Are you saying, the App will tell me my stats like strength, agility, and other stuff? ” Asked Daniel.

“ Yes. ” Replied John with a nod. “ Depending on the type of Power you wield, it shows you different statistics, but the basics are similar for all of them, or so I have heard. Anyway, the important thing here is that the stats reflect the user and while the App will play a major role in their increase, the stats themselves can only be increased by the user’s actions. For example, you will need to exercise a lot to increase your strength. ”

“ So, since you’re a veteran user compared to me, does that mean that your stats are above other people? ” Asked John with intrigue as something like this was total bonkers when one hears it in person. Either I am still dreaming or my World has far more secrets than I ever thought was possible.

 

“ Not as much as you think. Since I need to increase them on my own. ” Replied John when both of them heard a DING sound come from the phones. “ Oh, looks like it’s done. Go ahead and open it. ”

Doing as asked, Daniel opened the file that was sent to him, and immediately after the screen blacked out. Glancing at John, he saw no surprised look. Guess that was supposed to happen.

 

“ Give it some time to unpack and install. ” Said John and he left the phone alone. “ Back to the stats thing. Once the App is functional, it will show your stats on the primary screen. They will be divided into six categories. ”

“ Six? Why that number? ” Asked Daniel for more information. 

“ It has to do with the Power system you will be using. ” Explained John. “ Since you gained the App from me, you will follow the same Power I am. The stats are divided into; Body, Instinct, Mind, Will, Wisdom, and the last one will be either Charisma or Luck, depending on the person. ”

“ To be honest, I am a bit surprised at the Instinct one as I can understand the others. Tell me more. “ Asked Daniel with some surprise in his voice. 

“ It’s simple. The first three reflect the physical you, and the other three reflect your personality. ” Explained John. “ Let’s wait for the App to integrate first and then talk about it. First, I should talk about the Quest and Power system. The Quest sys. ” Stopped John there as he saw my phone light up. “ Ok, let’s delay it for a bit. Once your phone works properly, you will find an App called DREAM on your screen, somewhere. Find it and open it. ”

 

It took but a few seconds for the phone to return to normal. Taking it in hand, Daniel looked at its android system. But being no tech nerd, all he knew was that the phone was working normally. Browsing it a bit, he saw an unfamiliar icon and the name that it used. Its logo was of a Galaxy shape but instead of a Galaxy and its light-bending imagined look, it showed a whitish cloud surrounding a five-pointed star. 

 

Tapping on the DREAM App, it powered up. Seconds later of a white background came a new image. This time it featured a cloud at the bottom out of which rose stars, which in turn turned into rivers of stars. The rivers traveled upwards and became the letters DREAM. Seconds after that it changed and a new prompt came asking if I wanted to use my old identity as an account or create a brand new one.

 

“ What’s this about an identity? ” He asked John. “ Are there pros or cons to either? ”

“ Yes, and No. ” Replied John. “ Overall, it’s the same, with one exception. The system you will be registered on will use your identity as a marker, and if that marker is your actual identity, then people will find you with it, eventually. Most chose the latter choice, as currently, the best choice is to hide one’s identity from other people. ” Stopping for a second to organize his thoughts, John continued. “ Since you’re committed to this, I should tell you that the App cares not for your identity, your morals, your desires, your nationality, or anything else really as long as its existence is not revealed to the World. If you try to do that, you’re dead on the spot. ”

“You’re saying that people have been using this App to commit all sorts of crimes. ” Said Daniel, yet the moment he did he realized John’s meaning. With anger exploding inside him, it overwhelmed the wall he built up around his emotions and tried to shout out his intentions, and yet the moment he tried, the beacon inside him that represented the Contract he had signed minutes ago, flared and restricted his intentions. Taking a bit for it to lessen, he calmed down and bottled the rage again. Next, he looked at John and asked for confirmation. “ You’re saying that the killer of my family has been using this App? And that because of the new identity he created with it I can’t trace him through the App even if I wanted to? ”

Sighing, John replied. “ While I am not sure if the perpetrator is using the App, it is however likely that it is so. About a year ago, the App entered the beta testing phase, and a lot of new users registered. Right now the only way to gain the App is by a recommendation of a user. Because of that, we advise most to create a new identity despite the other option being available. ”

Hearing John’s explanation calmed him somewhat, but the bottled rage inside him simmered when he thought about his family. “ Recommendation? ” Said Daniel. “ Please tell me there are restrictions on that, otherwise the number of bad people using it will increase drastically, very soon. ”

“ Indeed, while there is no restriction on who can get the App, there are some restrictions on the number of people one can recruit as the only way to gain the recommendations is through Quests. ” Replied John with a frown. “ Even though that restricts their numbers somewhat, the problem is the Quest system. It’s based on the personality of the user. ”

In realization of the implication, Daniel unconsciously rubbed his forehead. “ So, those with good intentions gain quests to help people while the others do whatever they want?” He asked John. If it’s truly so it would explain the spike in criminal activity. 

 

Shaking his head, John explained. “ Not exactly but you're close. You will understand soon, but I don’t mind telling you now. You see there are strict requirements on how many Quests one can do and what a Quest will entail. But one common thing among all quests is the Karma points one can gain. ”

“ Karma? Are you talking about the eastern philosophy of one’s actions in life? ” Daniel asked for confirmation.

“ Yes, the same one. ” John replied. “ Karma is part of the core system. Unlike how I sound, it only has one function that I am sure of. To identify a person’s morality and make it visible to other people. That’s as far as I know aside from the fact that every Quest one is offered gives one the choice of doing Good or Evil upon this World. I am sure it has other features, but that’s all I know about the Karmic part of the App. Do you have more questions about it or do you want to continue where we left off? ”

 

Thinking for a second, Daniel shook his head and clicked on the New Identity prompt. Once it was gone, a new prompt appeared, asking for a name. “ Are there any requirements for the names of the new identity? ” Asked Daniel.

“ No. You can choose anything you want, but I suggest something close to yourself with which you can identify. ”

“ Ok. ” Said Daniel and thinking about himself and his goal, he typed in “ The Detective. ” Immediately a rotating cloud appeared as if determining if his choice of words was good or not. “ I hope my choice is ok, as I don’t want to add some stupid number at the end. ”

“ Haha, don’t worry about that. But uh, since the naming is done, place your phone on the table before you drop it in surprise. ” Not quite understanding why he had to do that, he did it anyway. The moment the phone touched the table the loading cloud vanished and in its place appeared a black whirlpool or vortex with tiny points of light swirled around. 

 

Looking closer, in the center of the vortex, he saw another tiny dot appear. Which soon grew and grew to resemble an eye. One enormous eye with a golden slit and a blue sclera. Once it was close to the screen, it stopped. Looking closer Daniel saw it had a more cartoonish style to its appearance, instead of an Eldritch feel. Yet what came next was the genuine surprise. The slightly cartoonish Eldritch Eye turned its gaze on Daniel and one of its tendrils touched the screen and the next second the same tendril appeared in the real World. It grabbed one side of the phone. Immediately after that, other tendrils passed the screen and went for the same action. Immediately after, with combined strength, they pulled the Eye into the World too. 

 

Observing this happening, Daniel’s instinctive responses kicked into action and he observed at the small Eldritch Eye and its various plated decorations on the body that was just a few inches in size above the phone. Meanwhile, John showed no response, as if it was common sense for it to exist. 

 

Still, in a fight or flight response, Daniel could not take his awareness from the thing, and it was only after a physical nudge from John that he recovered, but not without his body responding to said action. Daniel’s body jumped up slightly from the touch and only when he noticed it was John did he relax somewhat. 

 

Glancing between him and the Eye, he had no choice but to assume some things. Which he was voicing out immediately. “ Please don’t tell me I just sold my Soul to some Eldritch horror? ”

 

“ Haha! “ Was all that came from John. “ It’s funny how people react to this. Ha, anyway Daniel, this is Makta. She is responsible for initializing the Core for everybody that gets my recommendation. And no, she is not an Eldritch entity so you can calm down. She is a Nightmare Seeker. You will learn about their kind in the future. Now one thing of note, while I may call her with she, she and her kind in question have no gender. ”

 

Not quite understanding why he insisted on that part, he glanced between them again as Makta spoke. With no orifice to be seen, a voice still came to Daniel’s ears, and it held a feminine quality to itself. “ Good Morning, Detective West. As introduced by John, I am Makta. I will integrate and make sure your Core access works as intended. ”

“ Ah, right? Ugh, good morning. ” Replied Daniel, still shaken but as he observed the tiny thing on the table, a thought appeared to him. Looking around, he saw nobody looking at them, as if there was no floating Eldritch Eye in the bar. No, Daniel, take a deep breath and calm down. 

 

Taking a deep breath, he calmed down. “ So what is the Core? I thought everything was about the app on the phone? ” 

“ It is Detective West. ” Answered Makta the Nightmare Seeker. “ The Core is the center of your being, but it’s through the App that you will interact with the Core and its functions. Our Creator has grand plans for this World and the Core is but the start. ”

“ Who’s your Creator and what are his plans for the World? Will you even tell me that? ” Asked Daniel.

Shaking its Eye from left to right, Makta blinked once and replied. “ I am afraid I can not tell you at this point in time. To seek those answers you will need to grow stronger in both Power and influence. Otherwise, you will be swept by the tides of the changes that are coming. ” 

 

“ I see. Does he know? ” He pointed at John. Makta looked at John for a second and shook her Eye to deny it.

“ While he does not know our Creator’s plan, I am told that they had met once. ” Makta replied. Looking at the man in question, John betrayed no intention of sharing his experience. 

“ Ok, this Core you’re speaking of, will give me Powers, I take it? So how will this happen? ” He asked Makta.

“ The Core is much more than just Power Detective, as you will find out in the future. As for the method, all I require from you is to stay still for a bit. ” Replied Makta. “ Please, prepare yourself, as I will begin. ” 

 

Taking a deep breath, Daniel looked at the Eldritch Eye and nodded. Not a second later his nod finished its motion, a tendril from the right side of the Eye stretched in the blink of an eye and touched his forehead. It immediately immobilized him and another unconscious reaction from his body began to build and yet the next second it vanished. 

 

With no physical movement available to Daniel, it only left him with his thoughts. At least it gave me a warning, but I wonder what it is doing to me. 

“ I am rearranging your Soul into a Core. Detective. ” Came the same female voice from before. Wait, you can hear my thoughts?

“ Only during the Core building process. ” Makta replied.  I see. So what are you doing to me?

 

“ Here, let me show you. ” Answered the Eye and sent images to Daniel. In the image, he could see a tiny point of Light. “ What you currently see is my perception, and that point of Light is your Soul. Observer, Detective. ” 

 

Ending the conversation, Makta went to work. Her tendril reached Daniel’s Soul and fiddled with it. First, she touched it, squeezed it here and there, then shaped it here and there and when she finally was done with it, her tendril went inside the Soul. What it did there Daniel didn’t see but not long after, it changed. Alongside its outer appearance, it gained lines that formed images and shapes. 

The images and shapes meant nothing to Daniel but no matter the process, the Soul appeared as if it had gone through the hands of a tattoo artist. Soon after everything turned into lines that congregated into six shapes. Retaining the spherical shape, one was at the top of the Soul, one at the bottom of the Soul, and the last four to the sides. 

 

That done, Makta’s tendril left his Soul. “ It is done, Detective. ” Immediately the image in his mind vanished, and he realized that his body was once again responsive. With a thought his eyes opened, which he never noticed had closed, to begin with, and looked at both the Eye and John. 

Not sure what to say, he spoke about the obvious. “ I didn’t feel any pain, considering I just had my Soul fiddled with by an Eldritch being. ”

“ Haha! ” Laughed John. “ That was my first line too, or at least it was similar. Anyway, Makta, could you finish it? ” Makta nodded and one of her tendrils touched Daniel’s phone. He didn’t know what she did, but immediately after, he could feel the phone. Similar to how the Contract still shines upon him, he could now feel the phone. 

 

Once it was done, Makta spoke for the last time. “ My job here is done, Detective. May the Dreams guide you to your desired End. ” Immediately after he went back into the phone. Similar to how it was before, tendrils attached to the inside of the black vortex and pulled the Eye inside. Once there, it flowed through the center of the vortex and finally disappeared. Seconds after the vortex vanished and in its place appeared a normal red button that just ached to be pressed. 

 

Pressing it, the screen again changed, and a small cartoonish version of a man appeared. It wore a long brown trench coat that was often seen in old detective movies. Looking closer, he noticed it had dark blond hair, silver eyes and it was holding a spying glass. After it stayed there for a bit, it shrunk into the upper part of the screen and became an icon of a man with silver eyes looking through the spying glass below at 3 pointers. One below and two to the sides.

 

“ Tell me, John. Does everybody receive the same app or is the one I am looking at your fault? ” He asked John.

“ Eh? ” A bit stumped by that question, he replied. “ Well, I am not sure what you’re seeing as it’s invisible to me. If I have to reply, I can only tell you what I have heard. While there are templates for various appearances, which look it gains depends on the user and his inner thoughts. For your information, mine has a militaristic design since I serve in the military and it has shaped me the most. ”

“ I see. ” Replied Daniel with melancholy in his voice. I wonder what the cartoonish design says about me. Shaking his head, he refocused on the important parts.

 

“ I think it’s time we spoke about the app functions and everything it holds. ” Said Daniel.

0