Chapter-3: A Story I had forgotten (1)
1.3k 6 41
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Lucas, are you still studying?"

Edwin came inside the library and sat near Lucas whose eyes were sticking into the book's history. It had been over 7 years that Lucas had come into this world and he got pretty familiar with the customs and language. Everyone in the mansion said that he was really a genius because he learned things fast and at the age of five, he could speak like a little adult.

What interested him most was the magic in this world. Everyone in this world was able to use magic, like controlling water or fire or other elements. The amount of magic they could use depended on how much mana they had. Their magic type also varied with their mana. People had one main magic type that they were born with. For example, both Edwin and Maria were born with mana which they could manipulate into their sword arts. In other words, they are natural born sword masters. Well, almost everyone in this family of Duke Cassius Evandall were the sword masters. They were also the strong knights of this Kingdom, Rudia.

There are four main mana types with different magic types under each one in this world, the mana of elementals, the mana of weaponry arts, the mana of physical alteration and finally the mana of healing. Controlling and producing fire, water, wind, earth and such elements related with nature fall under the category of mana of elementals.

It was really rare for people to use other types of magic which was not the main one. Because they had a huge difficulty when they concentrated on the flow of mana to use other types of magic. And the help of the chants and magic circles were also required to do so. For example, a person with fire mana might be able to use other elements under the same category but it would be difficult for him to be able to use teleportation magic which fell under the category of mana of physical alteration. A person who could use one type of magic was common. But using two types of magic was rare and three types were considered super genius.

As it was the world of magic, it was not strange for it to have the demon race, too. Like hunters, guilds, dragons and other types of monsters that normally existed in fictions. Cool, right?

Well, if you wanna know if Lucas was also a sword master, the answer was 'Unfortunately, no.' Cases like his were rare because the mana of sword arts was one of the most powerful ones and they usually took domain over other magic types. Like if a sword master father married another magic-type mother, the child being a sword master was almost about 99% sure.

So what was he?

"Yes brother. Do you need something?" Lucas closed the book he was reading and paid attention to Edwin. During these years, Edwin and Maria really cared for him so much and were always on Lucas's side. They really did adore Lucas, their little brother.

"Nah, I just want to take you out. Isn't it really boring to read those thick books all the time?"

Edwin was already a 19 years old youth. Well, he was always filled with a lot of energy and freshness. The problems that occurred in the mansion because he sneaked out during the training and went around the city without any guards or without informing were now normal for Lucas.

"It's not boring and how will you take me out brother? You got banned from going out by our father."

Yes, Duke Cassius banned Edwin from going out for a while because the last time he sneaked out in disguise, he fought with some thugs who were bullying other kids. Of course, he won easily and the excuse for fighting was not bad but it was not good for a duke's son to stroll around alone and cause commotion.

Well, about Duke Cassius, it was really hard for Lucas to see him because he didn't really spend time with his children. Of course, there were times that Cassius checked how Edwin or Maria were doing in their education but he rarely came and saw Lucas. The only times that Lucas met their father were during their breakfast and dinner. The distance between them was so cold but Lucas believed that it was because Duchess Stacia died while giving birth to him. Cassius was a cold and strict man but he was also known for adoring his wife, Stacia. So it was definitely possible that Cassius loathed the existence of Lucas.

"And normally, I am restricted from going out with the excuse of having healing magic." Lucas sighed and continued.

Healing magic which Lucas inherited from Stacia, was regarded as one of the most precious and rare magic types which didn't need a large amount of mana to use. Hunters and many other people who had to risk their lives while fighting monsters or in wars really desire healers because healers could make their lives much easier and safer. There was even a saying that if a healer was powerful enough, he could even revive the dead, although there were some conditions.

Healers had the ability to restore the people's health and heal any kinds of injury but they were also physically weaker at the same time. They couldn't manipulate their mana into attack or defense magic and since their magic type was valuable, they are to be protected at all cost. Even in wars, healers could get a protection of the same level with that of a royal family no matter what their status was.

'So, my so-called father really restricted me from going out. During these years, I had never been outside even once and I am starting to feel depressed. I mean, will it not be alright to go out with my brother and sister or get out in disguise!?'

"As much as I also want to go out, it is a no-no, brother...."

Lucas didn't wanna anger Cassius. A year ago, he asked Cassius to let him go out for a little while but Cassius just glared at him with scary eyes and refused his proposal coldly. After that time, Lucas decided that he would just request him again when he became 10 years old. Cassius should allow him at that time, right?

"Come on, father is not that scary... I mean he is scary but he won't kill you" Edwin said so lightly.

'It is scary enough for me!'

"Oh... now you are teaching Lucas to sneak out with you? Edwin, you should not taint an innocent one."

Maria, who had now become a beautiful lady, came into the library and hit the back of Edwin, giving him deathly glares at the same time. To be honest, she was also very talented in everything and also recognized as a perfect sword maiden. She was also like a mother who always looked out for her children.

"Ouch, that hurts Maria." Edwin pouted.

" You deserve it. Don't listen to him, Lucas. He is such a no good."

"Haha, don't be too harsh on him, big sister. Brother also has his good points." Lucas smiled.

"By the way, Lucas, for your coming birthday, what do you want? Tell me and I will get you everything you wish for!" Maria pat Lucas's soft snow colored hair.

"Yes! Tell me, this big brother and your wish will come true!" Edwin also followed.

'I almost didn't realize that it was next week.' Lucas really didn't realize it because he was always spending his time with books on magic and this world's history. Because he felt like he knew these names from somewhere before. There might be a chance that he got transmigrated into a novel he had read or something. He now held the motto of "Nothing is impossible" after coming to this world, after all. So he collected all sorts of information he could, hoping that it might ring a bell to him.

"I am fine with whatever you give me." Lucas smiled. "Because I love everything you two give." Of course, they were his beloved siblings after all.

"Noted!" They both started to drown in their thoughts of what to give to Lucas and both of them thinking how cute their Lucas can be.

"But Lucas, don't you really wanna go out? I would be bored to death if I were in your place." Edwin protested and it seemed like Maria also agreed with him.

"Of course, I want to. But it couldn't be helped"

"The day after tomorrow, father will be out on a business trip. Let's sneak out at that time!" Edwin really was eager to lead Lucas out. Because he wanted Lucas to feel a bit of freedom instead of being locked up here.

"Edwin, it's too dangerous for Lucas."

"I know. But we could take Leo with us. With him and us combined, we could protect Lucas pretty well. And it's not like the city is dangerous. Our territory is pretty peaceful, too. I promise that father won't know!"

"But..." Maria didn't give up. She knew that Lucas was filled with curiosity and she wanted to show this child many new things but she also had to consider his safety, too.

"I wanna go! Let's sneak out. It won't take long! I will just stroll around a bit." Lucas said with an excited expression.

'As long as they assure that father won't know, I am fine with everything. And I also wanna go out so much, too.'

Looking at Lucas's sparkling eyes, filled with hope, Maria also couldn't refuse anymore. Finally she agreed to Edwin's idea. She was also starting to feel nervous because it was her first time breaking rules, basically.

"OK! Then it is decided! Lucas, I promised that you will have the best time in your life!" Edwin was energized as usual. Maria just sighed.

"Yes, brother! I will look forward to it!" Lucas said happily. Finally, his dream to go out was going to come true.

And no one knew that day outside would also be the day when Lucas would finally know what kind of world he was in.

41