Chapter-4: A Story I had forgotten (2)
1.2k 5 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'I never thought I would be using the secret passage like that.....'

Lucas walked through the narrow underground path, which was created for fleeing when the territory was under attack and didn't have any chance to win over the enemy. Of course, Cassius believed that it was a shameful idea and decided to seal the entrance to the underground path but the one who found it and opened it again was our little playful master, Edwin.

"You never told me about this path..." Maria was in awe to see something like this in the mansion.

"I also don't normally use this one because I'm worried that it might leave traces. But since Lucas is with us, we can't possibly leave the mansion in the normal way."

"How do you leave the mansion normally?" Lucas was curious.

"I teleport. But my teleportation magic is not stable so I could only teleport myself safely for now." Maria answered. "I leave with permission so I can also easily leave from the front gate, unlike someone."

Maria's magic was majored in sword arts so it was not strange that she was terrible at controlling other types of magic. Cassius trusted in Maria's calmness and decisions, so it was not difficult for Maria to go out. Edwin could also stroll around if he was with Maria.

"For me, I usually go out in disguise like a worker." Edwin said proudly. "Controlling mana is difficult so I don't teleport."

"Don't the guards notice your face? I mean you are really popular."

"Nah, don't underestimate me little bro. Apart from sword arts, sneaking out is already like a major magic to me. This much is so easy. I will teach you a way or two later." Edwin grinned. "And for your information, some of the guards are accomplices. Like Leo."

Leo was Edwin's body guard who was around 20 years old. He was said to be excellent in controlling fire magic and pretty reliable as a guard. Lucas didn't know how Edwin managed to persuade his own bodyguard to be his accomplice.

"Need to reprimand our guards, don't you think so? Big sis Maria"

"You are right Lucas. Maybe I should discuss it with father." Maria nodded.

"You guys are so mean!" Edwin pouted.

'My legs are getting tired...' Lucas thought. It was already a long walk. So long that he started to doubt whether he would be able to see the daylight again.

Edwin and Maria seemed to notice the fatigue in Lucas's face. The big brother picked Lucas up which caught Lucas in surprise.

"Thanks brother." Lucas felt really thankful. "But aren't I heavy for you?"

"You are as light as a feather so don't worry. We can't let you be tired before exploring around, can we?" Edwin laughed. "Now, let's hurry to the exit." And he sped up. Maria also didn't fail to follow up.

After a few more minutes, they finally reached the end of the tunnel and climbed up the old ladder which led them to a far corner of a street where they couldn't see anyone.

They followed the little street and when they could see the main road, Lucas unconsciously 'wow'ed.

The road was busy with a lot of people who were doing their respective work. Shops and stalls were not being prepared to open and start a new day. All the people were energized and fresh smiles could be seen on their faces. All the people seemed to be satisfied and content with their own lives. This crowded view of the busy city was something enjoyable for Lucas to look at. It had been over five years since he saw such a large amount of people at the same time.

'I now miss my original home....'

Edwin and Maria felt sad to see those eyes of Lucas which seemed to be filled with a slight hint of sadness.

'Did he really want to go out that much? He must really be getting tired of living in the mansion....' They both thought.

"Young master Edwin!"

The trio looked towards where the voice came. A young man who tied up his not-too-long brown hair came running towards them.

"Leo, you are late." Edwin said.

"Haha, sorry about that." Leo scratched the back of his head with awkwardness. " Lady Maria and little master Lucas, it's great to see you."

"Same. It must be really tiring to babysit, Edwin, right?" Maria replied.

"I pity you big bro." Lucas added.

"You guys..."

After a small talk, they started to stroll around the busy city, wearing the cloaks with hood that Leo gave them. Leo inspected the city before the trio came so that he could get rid of potential threats. But so far, everything was fine.

Everything was so new to Lucas and he really enjoyed this moment. He also tried so much street food that he had never had before and visited a lot of shops. The city was really filled with people though. Edwin said it was really crowded because the Lucian festival was coming near.

Lucian festival was a 5-day-long festival of light that was held to welcome the descending of the Light God Lucian. The legend was that thousands of years ago, humans didn't have any magic to resist the monsters and demons. They were like just existing to become food. God Lucian who couldn't watch this lack in balance any longer descend in this world to give humans a blessing. It was mana. After that, it was said the balance between the power of humans and demons was created. Although the god didn't descend again, the Lucian festival was held as a memorial for that incident. It was just a story.... probably.

"Lucian festival.... Ah, young master Lucas was born on the fifth day of the festival, right? So his birthday is near. You must be looking forward to your birthday." Leo asked, not noticing what Lucas's birthday also meant at the same time.

"Ah.... it's normal..." Lucas answered while looking down.

Lucas never really showed that much happiness for his birthday. Stacia, who was a loving mother of Edwin and Maria, died while giving birth to him. So he was worried that he might make those two depressed or disappointed accidentally.

Only then, Leo noticed his mistake. He thought he really did make Lucas really sad. He also could see the worried expression from Edwin and Maria, thinking that Lucas was taking blame on himself for the death of their mother, Stacia.

"Lucas, just look forward to your birthday." Maria said in a cheerful voice.

"All you have to do is to have fun!" Edwin added.

"Yes, brother, sister!" Lucas smiled. He was glad that they didn't show any loath for his birthday. This brother and sister of his were really the best.

'Lucian festival.... I don't know why I am feeling like this but.....' Lucas felt like something bad was coming to them. 'What is this feeling...?'

"Is something wrong, Lucas?" Maria was worried to see anxiety in Lucas's eyes. "Are you perhaps getting tired?"

Lucas looked up to Maria and a feeling of sadness came running inside him. He also couldn't understand why he was feeling like this. He was so happy a while ago.

Edwin also looked at Lucas with a concerned look. Lucas really looked like a baby who was about to cry.

The surrounding seemed to become quieter and quieter. It was until Leo pointed to the sky, saying to look.

The sky which was very clear a moment ago was now turning to become dyed in red. The people who were busy with their respective work a while ago stopped what they were doing and looked at the sky which was now crimson red. Suddenly.....

"HELPPP!!! The monsters are coming from the northeast gate!" Some people running from the northeast side of the city shouted in terror.

Not so long after this shout, the scene of various orcs and goblins came roaming into the city while the guards in duty tried to defend against those monsters at the same time.

Maria didn't think twice and picked up Lucas, and ran towards the duke's mansion, while dragging Edwin's hand.

"RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN! IT'S THE DARK WAVE!"

"THE MONSTERS ARE COMING!"

"RUNNNN!"

The city which was once peaceful was now filled with shocks and terrors and its citizens running towards the places they thought it was safe.

A day before the Lucian festival, a wave of monsters came rushing into the city of Evandall in search of something.

The group of sentences were being reflected in the mind of Lucas. He looked quite shocked, not because of the surrounding situation, but because of the unwelcome memories about the sentences he had read before.

It was something that had the power to overpower a demon lord.

Lucas's recalling didn't stop.

Finally they found what they had been looking for.

A hero who had an ability to control almost all the magic.

A hero with the largest amount of mana.

A hero from the other world.

Lucas gulped.

But before they could lay their hands on him, a sword maiden interfered.

She protected what they had been eager to destroy.

She protected hope.

Although she died in the process, she did manage to protect what she was supposed to.

Lucas's eyes widened in terror after he recalled a sentence in the prologue of the story he had read.

A hero was born with the life of the sword maiden.

Lucas slowly looked at the face of his big sister who was now running while holding him.

That hero's name was Harada Ryosuke.

And the sword maiden was Maria Evandall.

38