Chapter-5: Let’s not start a Prologue with Tragedy (1)
1.2k 7 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'If you are going to make me remember...'

Lucas thought. He was still being carried by Maria and now they were in a small path between two houses. They couldn't return to the mansion, either, because all the roads in the city were packed with various monsters. Leo and Edwin tried to push them into a corner to make way but the numbers were just too much so they could just create a path to run away and hide for now. It seemed like the entire army of monsters charged into this city.

'Why couldn't I remember it sooner!...' He screamed in his head.

"Why the heck are there this many monsters!? Maybe a demon lord went insane and dispatched an army?" Edwin murmured while taking a deep breath.

Leo and Maria were also thinking the same thing. They knew that there were a lot of cases like monsters moving or attacking in groups but there were not this many. Now, there was not only one group of monsters but a variety. It was what was called a Dark Wave but it was not something you could see easily. It only happened where there was something that angered them so much or someone from above, like a demon lord ordered them to.

"I also don't know..... I mean... we haven't attacked any monster base since a long time ago...." Maria replied with a heavy voice. Her eyes were fixed to the entrance of this little path, worrying that they might be found. Of course, the three of them could easily take care of a pack of high level monsters, orcs, goblins, ogres, etc... But the numbers were a headache. You could normally see this kind of number only in a war.

"And why would a demon lord attack us?"

A lot of unbelievable eyes fell on Leo.

"Ok..." He grinned. "A demon lord could attack us but why choose us? We are really near to the capital... He would lose in a time..." The capital which was the main base of this kingdom army, and a place of holy churches. Evandall territory was the neighbour of it. It was also the neighbour of Ariasta Territory, where a large number of high mages gather. So when the reinforcements came, it was game over.

'Because, the one who is going to beat their a** off is here.' Lucas made a deep sigh.

An Isekai novel that Lucas had read a long time ago before he was transmigrated, 'Way Back Home' had a prologue where Ryosuke, the main protagonist, got summoned in this world and he was dropped here. On the demon's side, there was a demon who could foresee the future once in every 100th year. He saw a powerful human arriving in this world and told the demon lord to kill this human.

Unfortunately, the story never goes the way that the antagonist wanted. So it was natural that Ryosuke was rescued. The one who rescued him was Maria but she died in the process.

'I can't let Maria die...'

Lucas couldn't let his beloved sister, who could also be regarded as his mother, die.

'The hero can't die, either...'

If the hero died at the beginning of the story, who would take care of the mess that the story would bring later?

"Hey guys, I think they are looking for something?" Maria asked with a wary tone.

When she looked closely, she could notice that the monsters were not focused on killing people senselessly. Apart from the monsters attacking with guards, the others seemed to be looking for something.

So what were they looking for?

'I hate it when my big sis is so fast at catching things....' A pained expression could be seen on Lucas.

Edwin was also surprised and so was Leo. It was just like Maria said. The monsters were fixed on something instead of killing.

No... They were killing.

"They were mercilessly killing the people with black hair." Edwin was in awe.

"But why...?" Leo dumbfounded.

"Who knows? Why don't you ask that to them by yourself?" The reply was made by Maria.

"Shall we join the fight?" Edwin started. The reinforcements from the duke's mansion were also defending against the monsters at the other side. They were just sandwiched between two ends and it was too far to go back to the underground tunnel.

And they should end this battle soon. The damage on the northeast side was terrible. A lot of citizens were injured. These people were the citizens that they should protect but they couldn't do anything. And....

Since a while ago, whenever Edwin looked at Lucas, he seemed to be afraid and worried. The usual talkative child was now quiet with a blank expression. It must be too hard for him to endure. Healers were also said to be fragile and soft-hearted.

"No. It is too dangerous! If they need reinforcement, then I will go. Young master and lady shouldn't get involved"

"Big sister Maria,..."

When Lucas called out to Maria, everyone's attention was on him. He was really quiet this whole time after all.

"Why hasn't father arrived yet?" Lucas asked in a senseless expression.

The reason why Maria died was because the report to the capital where Duke Cassius was delayed due to the attacks of ogres. There was no one with the magic of teleportation in the mansion. But there were some people who could teleport with a magic circle. But the ogres interfered by attacking the mansion so they took a long time while drawing the circle.

'What a lame reason, right?'

Everything was arranged so that Maria could die. Maybe this author was an insane one who loved killing his characters all the time. Even the prologue started with death.

"Maybe the news that we are in trouble hasn't arrived to him?" Lucas continued and everyone was silent.

"In general, with the expert teleportation team at the capital it would only take a few minutes for father to arrive here with reinforcement. But it had been over an hour that the battle had started" All the people fell into deep thought.

"That's true...." Maria agreed. She thought she herself was stupid for not noticing this and just hoping for her father to come.

"Big sis Maria, you can teleport, right?"

Lucas was going to let his sister escape from her final destination first. If she didn't meet with Ryosuke, there was no way that her death flag would rise.

"So, why don't you teleport to the capital and bring the news to father so that he could hurry and take care of this...?" He continued.

"Yes! Why didn't I notice this!? Lucas, you are a genius!" Edwin seemed to be enlightened. His energetic self was returning slowly.

"We will handle the situation here! Go and fetch father!" He continued with hope.

"But....." Maria was hesitant.

"Are you going to say something like 'I couldn't leave you guys.'? Come on Maria, the faster you fetch him, the safer we are."

It was reasonable enough so Maria agreed.

They hurried and went into the house nearby. Luckily they found some charcoal for Maria to draw the magic circle of teleportation. Before she chanted some words,

"Edwin, Leo.... Take care of Lucas." Her glare was deathly.

"Big sister, I can heal some injuries easily, you know?" Lucas assured her.

"You don't need to remind me."

"Count on us, Lady!"

The two of them followed. Maria smiled a bit and started to chant some words. Finally, a soft glow of red appeared from the magic circle and she stood there. And in a minute, she disappeared.

"Lucas, are you ok? You can sleep if you want. And when you wake up, it will be all over." Edwin tried to make Lucas worry less.

'WHAT KIND OF KID WILL BE ABLE TO SLEEP AT A TIME LIKE THIS!' Lucas snapped internally.

Leo was now out because the human's side were in a losing state. He went to help the poor guards and mage. Now Edwin was the bodyguard of Lucas.

'Now, I have to find Ryosuke as fast as I can....' Lucas looked at his brother who was paying attention to everything he did. 'How am I supposed to go out and find this little hero?' His mental state was going to lose.

Suddenly, the door of the house they were hiding burst opened. Edwin got alerted and pulled out his sword while standing in front of Lucas in a defensive way. Lucas was startled, too.

But the following scene made his lips go up.

A boy who was covered in dust and dirt came into the house while catching his breath. He was wearing an attire which was completely different to this world's. A school uniform which would mostly be found in manga, anime and light novels. When he found the sword which was pointed at him and the owner with a fierce gaze, he felt like his legs really wanted to give in.

'Haha.....' Lucas laughed internally. 'May be the god of luck loves me today...'

He looked at the boy who was gonna be the hero of this story later on although he was timid right now. Looking at this sight, Lucas grinned.

'Now, I don't even have to look for the hero anymore.'

38