Chapter-20: The Sparring
669 8 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was only two weeks left before the banquet and Lucas was frowning in despair. He just looked at Ryosuke who was now taking the dance lessons hopelessly, almost wanting to scream.

'WHY THE HECK ARE YOU SO BAD AT DANCING!!?'

Lucas had always thought that Ryosuke was kind of like a perfect man who was good at and was able to solve everything. He never realized that dancing would be involved in the little amount of things that Ryosuke could not excel at.

"Young master, this is the 12th time that you have stepped on my foot…." Instructor Ann laughed nervously as she reminded Ryosuke who was now out of the rhythm of dancing.

"I am sorry!!! I didn't realize that! I will take care next time!"

'It is also the 12th time you promise that! Is my imagination for the beautiful scenery of dancing ruined?'

In such celebrational banquet, there would be two rounds of ballroom dancing. Most of the people participated in dancing so everyone needed to be able to dance, for an average level at least. Of course there were more adults dancing but it was safe for Ryosuke and Lucas to at least know the basics in case someone of the similar age invited them to.

Everyone thought that one month of intensive dance lessons would be enough for Ryousuke to grasp at least some of the basics in dancing even though he might not be so proficient but that was proved to be entirely wrong.

'Did Stella suffer while dancing with Ryosuke in the novel!?' Lucas felt a need to seriously recall the novel. He absolutely remembered that Stella and Ryosuke danced together at that banquet and it was the first banquet for Ryosuke so Lucas really thought the birthday banquet was the one. Now he had to seriously consider if he remembered it wrong. In the first place, he didn't trust his memory that much.

The music started again and Lucas had to control himself from laughing when the 13th stepping accident came. But unfortunately a tiny laugh from Lucas was out.

"Lucas! Don't laugh! You are also not that good at dancing!!!" Ryosuke's face looked like a red apple, currently and Lucas couldn't hold in anymore when seeing this.

"Hahaha…. I am sorry, brother.. And I am not as bad as you, brother Ryo! I only stepped for like 5 times today and I finally got through without any errors at the last dance!" Although it was not a thing to be proud of, a confident look was displayed on Lucas's face.

"Besides, there would be no girl who is similar to my age in the banquet and so not being able to dance well is not a problem for me! But you are another case, brother."

"I don't want to do it anymore…." As soon as Ryosuke's usual groaning voice could be heard, Ann, who was surprisingly still not tired to teach Ryosuke, motivated him not to be depressed but Ann, herself, knew it might be a little bit difficult for Ryosuke to dance well at the banquet. Well, at least she could still hope that no one would ask Ryosuke to dance together.

"Young master, step 1 2 3, yes step side, 1 2 3…"

The music started again with Ann's intensive instructions for Ryosuke to be able to follow. But no matter how she instructed, the 14th time that Ryosuke stepped on her foot came again in the middle of the music. Now even Ann wanted to give up teaching Ryosuke dancing but she reminded herself that a teacher should be able to be patient as long as the student was willing to learn. But was Ryosuke even left with any willingness to learn? She just hoped he did.

But at the same time Ann was worried. It was not that much of a serious situation for a girl to step on the other's foot at most once as their heels and the dress they wore were difficult to control their steps so usually men didn't consider it that rude. But it was quite a laughing matter if a boy was stepping on the girl's foot continuously like Ryosuke was doing. She just prayed to God Lucian again that two weeks would be enough for Ryosuke to learn not to take wrong steps.

Finally she just decided to call it a day and told both Lucas and Ryosuke to practice even when she was not there. Ryosuke, who was really tired from dancing, just lied down flat on the floor without caring anything murmuring to let him sleep there.

"Brother Ryo… at least go to your own room."

"Young master Lucas, here is your towel."

"Thanks Eura!"

Lucas was handed the towel by Eura under the watch of Alisa. Come to think of it, Alisa and Eura got along pretty well despite Eura's mischievous personality. And she also tried to be in her most polite state whenever there was Alisa looking at her. Unexpectedly, Eura caught up pretty well with Alisa's teachings which made Lucas surprised and also relieved at the same time.

Eura also handed the towel to Ryosuke while telling him not to forget his promise which made Ryosuke cover his face in depression.

'I wonder if Ryosuke would be able to handle sparring with Eura at this rate.'

In the evening, the time that Ryosuke had been afraid of finally came. There was no one in the training ground as Lucas had requested because it might be a problem if someone saw Eura using her powers. There was one overlooker, though who was Carl but it was no problem as Carl had already known Eura's identity from Cassius. To be precise, he was now the official guard of Lucas and also the one who was overseeing Eura.

"So, are you two ready?" Carl looked at Eura who was very enthusiastic and Ryosuke who was sweating from anxiety.

Lucas and Tus were also present at the field but watching from a place which was a little bit far from the field in order to avoid causality. When both of them were ready, Carl counted down in order to start and stepped backwards immediately.

At first Lucas was worried by Eura, deceived by her looks even when she was the same age with Ryosuke but he instantly knew he worries were absolutely unnecessary as soon as the sparring took place.

Ryosuke's speed to infuse the wooden sword with mana for its durability was so fast that Lucas was in awe and it was the same for Eura who was very swift at growing out her nails and started to try to land a first attack on Ryosuke who defend himself with his mana sword. It was lucky that Ryosuke increased the durability or if not the wooden sword would be sliced into halves under the scratch of Eura.

Straight away after defending, Ryosuke pushed back Eura successfully and they clashed again as soon as after parting. Although Eura's body was small, she was enhancing her body strength which was a common way of beast people's fighting so that she could rival Ryosuke's strength.

'That is no joke, guys….' Lucas couldn't even shift his gaze from the field because he knew that as soon as he shifted he would lose track of the two who were in high-speed of offense and defense. Lucas was now starting to think whether it was just a sparring or real battle.

Even after some minutes, there was no telling who was going to win and the momentum continued to last although they were starting to show some symptoms of tiredness. After the strike from Ryosuke which was caught by Eura at the last minute, Eura started to grin.

"Are you already tired? This is not as powerful as I expected."

"I am just going easy on you because your small figure looked like it would break under my strike."

Although they were talking like that, there was no doubt that they were just taking time to catch their breath. Not everyone could go on long with this extra-speedy momentum.

Feeling irritated by Ryosuke's words, Eura decided to end the sparring quickly as a winner to beat some sense into Ryosuke and it was when he finally knew he had misspoken.

Eura gripped the sword of Ryosuke and pulled it towards her side with all the strength she had which made Ryosuke stumbled a bit as he was caught off-guard, jumping over him as she aimed for Ryosuke's neck once she was on his back side which even made Lucas to be uneasy even though he knew Eura would be able to control her strength and stopped before her nails actually pierce Ryosuke.

But Ryosuke, being the prodigy of swords, also had a quick reflex which could defend against Eura and was able to aim her neck as she was not expecting Ryosuke to be able to strike back immediately after such a stumble. And for her overconfidence and looking down on the opponent, she lost the sparring on a whim which made her pull her hair in irritation, spouting that she wanted to challenge again.

"Huff….. This is the last time I am doing this….." Ryosuke dropped his sword while wiping his sweat away from his forehead. Even though he was saying it like that, he was also grinning in satisfaction a bit which showed that he, at least, enjoyed this spar more than the dance lessons.

After Carl gave out the feedback for both parties, Eura made a request again, making everyone stop her immediately.

"Lucas! I wanna fight with you!!" She exclaimed. Eura always called Lucas by his name whenever Alisa wasn't there. Even though Tus was telling her non-stop to fix that habit, she had no intention to do so, saying that she felt closer to Lucas when calling him by name. Of course, Lucas really didn't mind this.

"Eura!"

"Young miss, what about you call it a day?" Even Carl stepped in. It was true that Lucas was proficient with swords but he couldn't enhance his body strength and that of the sword. It would be a one-sided battle with Eura.

"Let's try this. I also want to know my situation in real sparring!"

'What would happen to my effort in learning swords if I can't even defend against Eura.'

Finally they had to let the sparring happen as they couldn't stop both Lucas and Eura. Tus was begging Eura to go easy as he knew how control less Eura could be sometimes. Like usual, Carl counted down before he started the spar, asking whether each of them was ready or not. This time Tus and Ryosuke were near the field, watching the duo intensively to step in, in case something happened out of expectation. Carl also joined them after the count down was done.

Eura, as always, swiftly stepped forward to make the first attack but Lucas leaped to his side in order to avoid her attack. It would be impossible for his normal wooden sword to defend that, anyway. Immediately after his escape, he lashed out his bash to Eura's back who just passed by him.

Everyone, including Eura, dropped their jaws when seeing Lucas's reflex which was very smooth like a professional swordmaster, thinking how he would be overpowered if he just inherited weaponry magic from his father.

Eura, alarmed by Lucas movements, unconsciously increased her speed and also her attack strength.

First strike, Lucas was able to slip away.

Second strike, he was able to strike back to Eura's hand although his strength was not enough to inflict an injury on her.

Third strike, Lucas knew that he could not avoid that one so he just hoped that his sword would be able to last but his wish didn't come true with Eura's increased strength. As soon as he knew his sword was going to break, he leaped back in a hurry but his mis-footing made him fall to the ground which made his eyes squeeze shut as he braced himself for the impact.

Unexpectedly, he felt a gush of wind cushion his fall and his eyes widened as he saw Ryosuke defending him in front while Carl pulled Eura away from her back.

"Lucas, are you ok!?"

"Master Lucas, are you unhurt!?"

"Young master Lucas, are you alright!?"

All three of them asked in unison while looking at Lucas with worries, checking whether Lucas was really ok or not and only loosening their minds only when Lucas laughed and told them that he was really ok. The trio then scolded intensely at Eura how dangerous for Lucas if she acted without control. Eura, also knowing her fault, sincerely apologized to Lucas with a deep bow which Lucas said that it was really ok, with a small laugh.

The sun was already setting so Lucas decided that it would be better to return to the mansion for a rest but as soon as he stood back he realized that his left foot wrist got a sprain which made his eyebrow winced in pain, exerting the worries of the trio again. Even Eura could be seen unrest and filled with guilt, cursing as herself, which was a rare sight.

"You all know that I am a healing magic user, right?" Lucas couldn't believe their over-worried states as he healed his foot wrist in a few seconds. "See? As good as new! No problem"

Even after his assuring Carl offered to carry him back to the mansion which kind of made Lucas frown in disbelief. 'Seriously!? It is a sprain guys!? JUST A SPRAIN! And it was healed within 5 seconds!' Lucas was internally screaming while stopping them and telling them not to overreact.

Finally, he was able to get back to the mansion on foot without being carried, not knowing how Ryosuke, Eura, Tus and Carl were in astonishment and respect in Lucas's performance, today.

'If young master Lucas did inherit Duke Cassius's mana....' Carl still couldn't believe what he had just seen. A healing ability user defending someone from the beast tribe? It would be just an absurd story if he didn't see it with his own eyes. 'He would no doubt become the best swordsman in the kingdom…. No, even in the world if he did so…' Carl felt a sense of pride, and at the same time, a sense of loss for Lucas.

All of them, except Lucas, were thinking and imagining almost a similar one as Carl, too.

29