Chapter 1 – A Certain Butler’s Diary
856 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Today is an auspicious day.

The Finn Iphelleta House had it’s third son delivered.

He had black hair--a striking resemblance to that of his mother.

He was given the name Riley.

“At least I have enough strength left to name him!” Lady Iris spoke with a bright smile.

 

Age - 6 Months

Riley, spoke for the first time.

However, it was a word different from what other children his age would say.

I was in the room when he suddenly mumbled, “Finally…”

What could he mean?

I don’t think any of us taught him that word--though he may have overheard it at some point.

Age - 1

I’ve secretly inspected the Young Master’s body, to check his talent.

I have never seen anyone with such talent in my 60 years.

My head was filled with excitement and envy--not as a butler, but as a swordsman.

It may be because I’ve seen a talent that surpasses genius, but I couldn’t sleep that night.

 

Age - 2

The first-born, Master Ryan, has won second place in the Novice Swordsmanship Tournament.

All of his competition were around the ages of 14 - 15--he defeated them at the age of 9.

The maids of the mansion are clamouring that he may even surpass his father.

Fools, the true genius is here.

 

Age - 3

Even if they have different mothers, watching his brothers train every day should arouse some curiousity.

But, the Young Master shows no interest in the sword.

Simply watching this talent go undeveloped…it’s driving me insane.

 

Age - 4

Maybe my advancing age is making me impatient.

I gave him a wooden sword.

But, unlike his usual intelligent and quiet self, for some unknown reason, he bawled his eyes out--screaming because he didn’t want to hold the sword.

In the end, he never even swung it once.

Was I too early?

 

Age - 5

The Fin Iphelleta house has a bloodline that has been bless by the sword.

After the first Young Master, the second-born, Master Lloyd has done very well in the Novice Tournament.

When I carefully mentioned the idea to Young Master Riley, he replied with a smile, “Not doing it.”

Age - 6

Haah…just, why?

Age - 7

Master Ryan has already learned to imbue Mana into the blade.

Within in his Mana was a pure and powerful essence. Therefore, his father gave Master Ryan the title of ‘Strong-Blade’.

Master Riley showed no reaction to the story.

Haah, if only he would just hold a sword.

Age - 9

I am disheartened.

I am sure that he would have great achievements.

Even if I ignore my bias as his servant.

Even if I ignore his talent for the sword.

He is a truly intelligent boy, and it crushes me.

Today, Master Lloyd was given the title of “Quick-Blade”.

His speed was extraordinary, even beyond Master Stein’s.

Suddenly…

Did I make a mistake, seeing something that wasn’t there?

The thought occurred to me, that maybe I misread Master Riley’s talent…maybe I was imagining things.

Age - 10

Master Stein finally made a decision.

He suggested that the Young Master competes in the Novice Tournament.

On that day, Master Riley disappeared from the Mansion.

Everyone searched for him.

One day, two days, one week.

In the end, when the competitors for the tournament had been decided, the Young Master showed himself.

“Hide and seek is fun! Isn’t that right?” He smiled brightly as he spoke.

Maybe my eyes weren’t wrong.

Age - 11

He naps under the apple tree in the garden, eats his meals, reads a few books, and then goes to sleep--that’s his daily routine.

Sleeping up to 12 hours a day, and never even touching a sword.

Even Master Stein has given up on Master Riley.

Age - 12

Oh for fuck’s sake.

Why won’t he hold a sword?

 

Age - 13

Even Master Stein has had it with Young Master Riley, he went to give him a beating.

Yet, miraculously, Master Riley disappeared.

Not even Master Stein could find him.

Wow…

Age - 14

One day, I decided to complain to the Young Master.

“Why won’t you learn swordsmanship?”

He replied to my question, “I managed to kill the Demon Lord, so I can at least take it easy this time, right?”

Was he sleep talking?

I couldn’t understand his answer, and sighed.

Age - 15

Master Riley may be lazy, but there are times when this changes--mainly when he talks with his mother.

‘The book I was reading was so interesting.’, ‘I had a strange dream.’, etc.

Lady Iris always replies with a smile; she always says that his happiness is most important to her.

Age - 16

It’s been a long time since all of the members of the Fin Iphelleta House have gathered together: Master Stein, his two wives, and the three sons.

After dinner, Master Stein made an announcement, “I should start deciding on my successor.”

Master Riley was never mentioned in the discussion.

Age - 17

For the first time in my life, I saw Master Riley seething with rage, he is usually someone who wouldn’t bat an eye at the countless insults hurled towards him.

It was when his mother was ridiculed by the other son because of Master Riley, as he was declared illegible as a candidate to be the successor.

In that short moment, I saw the potential in his eyes.

Master Stein may have also seen it.

Age - 18

During her meal, Lady Iris collapsed…after she began coughing blood.

As the white tablecloth turned red with blood, Master Riley’s face changed dramatically.

And today.

He raised a sword.

8